Canadian Money Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the best ratio for ETF investing US & World vs. Canada in current situation

What is the best ratio for ETF investing US & World vs. Canada in current situation

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
What do you mean by 'current situation'?

I do not change my portfolio's geographical allocation breakdown, but some people rotate economic sectors and regions. I'm not good at chasing returns, or predicting markets that will yield the best returns so I keep it simple.

·
Banned
424 Posts
What is your current situation? My career prospects correlate with oil and base metal prices, so I look for ways to reduce their weight in my portfolio. I go 1/3 Canada, 1/3 US, 1/3 ex-North America with the stock portion of my portfolio. It is mostly index funds, but about half my Canadian portfolio is individual non-resource stocks.

Also consider currency risk. Where and when will you spend your money? Weight your portfolio accordingly.

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
I think cash is king in this part of the cycle. If you must invest & be diversified I would go Robo & go with something like wealthbar.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Rob Carrick had an interesting piece in the Globe that compared how balanced funds with strong track records were invested. Many funds have a sizable chunk invested in Canada -- about 50% Cdn, 25% US, 25% International of the Fund (excluding fixed income). The disclaimer is that past performance doesn't reflect future performance.

My personal take is that the Canadian index is not very balanced, as it mainly consists of financials and energy. If you can stomach more volatility, add more to weighting the Canadian index. Energy stocks will eventually bounce back up, at which time the Canadian market will outperform other markets.

·
Registered
55 Posts
The other important disclaimer to add to leeder's disclaimer is that these are active funds and as such their Canadian holdings sector allocations do not correlate directly to the TSX. To be clearer, they are generally significantly underweight financials and resources to the index which makes them perform significantly different from the index. If you are using index funds it makes sense to be more international to get better diversification.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I'm about 70% US ETF, 20% CDN prv bonds and 10% CDN REITs. About that 10%, they are REITS with primarily US investments. Essentialy I've taken my entire portfolio with the exception of fixed income out of canada.

I don't have anything in international securities as i don't like to expose myself to currency risk (I hold manly USD). Recently the Indian rupee dropped 25% and more recently the Russian ruble crashed 60%. So not worth it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts