Canadian Money Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I finally decided to open up a TFSA trading account last week. I had picked out the companies and number of units we were going to buy and set up the account. But in the time that it took to set up the account, everything I had my eye on has increased an average of 20%. What is driving this? There have been some positive news releases, but I am not sure if it warrants this type of growth. Is this just some pent up urge to buy that was released because of some good news, or is it more than that.

·
Premium Member
2,686 Posts
Is this just some pent up urge to buy that was released because of some good news, or is it more than that?
Wish I knew. Volatility cuts both ways. Stocks just as easily have a melt up as a melt down. I'm expecting a largish refund this year and was hoping that stocks will stay down. Short-term stock movements are impossible to predict.

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
There have been some positive news releases, but I am not sure if it warrants this type of growth.
The news hasn't been exactly positive. With a few exceptions, companies have been beating the 'lowered' revenue estimates - most companies on my radar have profits 0-20% of last year.

Many of the classic defensive names haven't been gaining - this is the cheapest they've been (P/E wise) - and they're the only companies that continue to be profitable.

Heck - the invincible Canadian insurance agencies are posting losses!

·
Registered
198 Posts
I've recently exited a few of my US bank positions that I hadn't DCA down to a reasonable price which this bull run allowed me to do. I'll sit on the cash for a bit because I don't think US banks should be rallying the way they are.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The news hasn't been exactly positive. With a few exceptions, companies have been beating the 'lowered' revenue estimates - most companies on my radar have profits 0-20% of last year.
Yeah I guess I should have phrased it, "the news has been less bad than usual". Looks like things have cooled off a bit today.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Right now the S&P 500 (and each of the major US indices) is trading close to break-even point for the year, and near its 200-day moving average. For traders, these sorts of points present psychological barriers. The markets have rallied about 20-25% or so since the March lows. That kind of momentum is hard to keep up. If good news keeps coming in, or if some of the traders shorting into this bear-market rally get squeezed, we could see the markets move even higher. I would be surprised if this happened this soon though, as much as I would like to see it. If this board is any indication, some people were hunting for bargains, in March and April. Now I sense that there is some ambivalence, as in the current valuations aren't presenting the bargains investors want.

Maybe many companies had low-balled their Q1 earnings forecasts, leading to some positive surprises. By now, I would expect those positive surprises to be priced in to the market by now, with investors now looking ahead to Q2 earnings. Barring some unforeseen surprise events, I don't think we're going to break through this resistance until Q2 earnings come out. After all, stock price gains can't outpace earnings growth in the long run.

Of course talk is cheap, and I don't have anything to lose by making a a prediction.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I saw a video where one person suggested at least a 50% pull back. His belief was that there is a lot of panic buying by people trying to get in and not miss this bull run. They sat on the side lines while they lost a ton of money and are afraid to sit on the sidelines during a bull run. I'm inclined to agree with that.

·
Banned
150 Posts
My wife and I finally decided to open up a TFSA trading account last week. I had picked out the companies and number of units we were going to buy and set up the account. But in the time that it took to set up the account, everything I had my eye on has increased an average of 20%. What is driving this? There have been some positive news releases, but I am not sure if it warrants this type of growth. Is this just some pent up urge to buy that was released because of some good news, or is it more than that.
Sorry, that was my fault.

I bought some bear ETFs which caused the market to soar. I reduced my holdings so we should be seeing the long awaited correction next week:p

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.