Canadian Money Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm currently reading "Rich Dad Poor Dad", and it has really got my brain working. What's everyone else reading?

·
Registered
665 Posts
There was a recent listing of good finance books. My faves are McCurdy. How Much is Enough, for both you and your spouse to clarify you are on the same page or know the differences. And Domingues and Robbins .Your Money or Your Life.

·
Registered
4,195 Posts
I have read hundreds of books about business, finance and investing. The ones by professional authors are pretty much useless because they know nothing about finance.If writers knew anything about money or business they wouldn't be writers. The best are by business people and investors turned author.
"Rich Dad Poor Dad" is good for motivation but don't take his advice, if you do you will get hurt. He is a writer who knows nothing about investing. Some of his later books are a little better, he made enough money off the first book to start investing and began to wise up, also talked to some people who knew what they were doing up to a point.

My favorite is How I Made $2 Million In The Stock Market by Nicolas Darvas. I first read it nearly 50 years ago and discarded it as too simple. Many years later, when I had more experience, I read it again and got a lot more out of it. For one thing it is an entertaining read. It is the best description I have seen, of the psychological development and learning experience of a new investor or trader. The trading method he developed formed the basis for my own trading method which has been very good to me.

You may not agree, there are many ways of trading or investing and some just click with one person but not another. If you prefer a different approach try and learn from the most successful practitioners.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Currently not reading anything related to finances, but the most influential book I've ever read was "The millionaire next door" by Thomas Staley. Keeping a copy for my kids.

·
Registered
158 Posts
There was a recent listing of good finance books. My faves are McCurdy. How Much is Enough, for both you and your spouse to clarify you are on the same page or know the differences. And Domingues and Robbins .Your Money or Your Life.
Added both to my list.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Today, I bought “Making Money in Real Estate - 3rd edition - The Canadian Guide to Profitable Investing in Residential Property” By Douglas Gray. Anyone read it?

·
Registered
508 Posts
One of my favourites is "The Richest Man in Babylon" by George Clason.

It's set 4000 years ago, so obviously doesn't touch on modern investing.

It contains short parables that teach great life lessons. Topics like saving, insurance, debt, the folly of gambling, work ethics, etc... Easy, fun reading packed with valuable concepts.

A must read and another good one to pass on to the kids.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I just finished "The Psychology of Money" by Morgan Housel. Nothing I haven't really read before but a good read regardless.
Basically its a book on avoiding keeping up with the Joneses.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts