Canadian Money Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think this topic rates a thread of its own as it really doesn't get talked about much in general Covid discussions.

Right now we are seeing spikes particularly in the 20-40 age group. Part of the reason for that I think has to be that many of them do not understand that 'recovered' does not necessarily mean 100% back to where someone was in terms of their health. What they see from the government numbers is 99,000 'recovered'.

Perhaps if they saw a number like say, '99,000 virus free, 50,000 with ongoing health issues as a result of Covid.', they might think twice.

I don't consider someone who has permanent lung damage as being 'recovered'. They will never be 'recovered' from Covid-19. Someone who still has shortness of breath and low energy several months after they have tested negative twice for Covid-19 is not 'recovered' yet either in my books.

It might help if more emphasis was put on this issue by those in government making public statements.

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
The way they calculate it in Ontario is even worse than that Lifehacker article (which is about the US).

In Ontario the official definition of a resolved case is: Includes people who are not hospitalized and whose symptoms began at least 14 days ago.

So you could still be very sick but if you're not in hospital and you've been sick for more than 2 weeks, you're recovered. OK, so the term we use is resolved instead of recovered, but in the international statistics there's no differentiation. We don't track "recovered" in Ontario, only resolved (since March 30). Source.

I totally agree that the government needs to emphasize that "recovered/resolved" does not mean 100% better.

·
Registered
3,155 Posts
We also don't know how sick these younger people are getting. We see the spike of infections in younger people, these days, and we assume this is new. I suspect it is more coming from increased testing and contact tracing. In the past we only looked at the very sick and if the young were rarely in that group we falsely assumed they were not infected. Of course they were and always have been. So I am not sure that much has changed, unless these young people are getting sicker then before. If they were, we would probably be told about it.

That said, I don't think increased infections will change their behavior. As said, they need to be shown that they are getting long term health issues, or shown to be very ill for a long time, or an increased death rate to do that. I doubt that is the case so I doubt much will change in their behavior.

·
Registered
6,805 Posts
...That said, I don't think increased infections will change their behavior. As said, they need to be shown that they are getting long term health issues, or shown to be very ill for a long time, or an increased death rate to do that. I doubt that is the case so I doubt much will change in their behavior.
Yes this is the same group that are promiscuous (Tinder) and Opiod users, so taking chances is part of their culture.

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
We also don't know how sick these younger people are getting. We see the spike of infections in younger people, these days, and we assume this is new. I suspect it is more coming from increased testing and contact tracing. In the past we only looked at the very sick and if the young were rarely in that group we falsely assumed they were not infected. Of course they were and always have been. So I am not sure that much has changed, unless these young people are getting sicker then before. If they were, we would probably be told about it.

That said, I don't think increased infections will change their behavior. As said, they need to be shown that they are getting long term health issues, or shown to be very ill for a long time, or an increased death rate to do that. I doubt that is the case so I doubt much will change in their behavior.
The information that young people can be seriously impacted by COVID19 is out there, they're just ignoring it.
The media pushed this as an "old person" diesease earlier, and people would rather believe that than the truth.

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The information that young people can be seriously impacted by COVID19 is out there, they're just ignoring it.
The media pushed this as an "old person" disease earlier, and people would rather believe that than the truth.
I agree, too much emphasis was placed on age relating to severity. The impression given was definitely far closer to 'if you're younger you don't have to worry about it' than it was to, 'you don't want to catch this virus at any age as the results can be severe for anyone.'

While the information is 'out there', it is not being emphasized or reported on by government or the media, 'front and centre.' The info is 'out there' but the average individual isn't going to dig for it when they hardly even watch a TV news broadcast on a weekly basis.

·
Registered
12,699 Posts
It would be most helpful if the government revealed what the emergency and other doctors are saying.......that people are getting very sick from COVID and just because they don't die from it doesn't mean they won't have permanent injuries. Maybe people would take notice of how dangerous this virus is, but there will always be some who are just too stupid to follow any rules. My neighbor told me that yesterday he was in a Scotiabank and an older woman came in without a mask. The staff immediately told her to put on a mask or leave. She argued for awhile but they stood their ground and she finally left. Those people just won't follow the rules.

In many places in the US, people are being sent home from emergency rooms without testing, because they have a shortage of swabs and test kits.
The doctors know they have COVID but they are never counted as infected. The hospital has no treatment for them until they are nearly dead.

The US is in really bad shape right now., and heading into the normal flu season. The US government financial supports have stopped and they are waiting for a new stimulus package of maybe $1200 in a couple of weeks. What good does a one-time benefit of $1200 do for people ?

The Trump administration and Republican Congress are total disasters and they will pay for it in November.

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I really wish we could stick to Canada on a given subject rather than dragging the USA into every thread. I don't give a darn what they do in the USA other than how it impacts Canada. This thread is about what is happening in Canada in regards to reporting 'recovered'. Let's try and stick to that.

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
The US is in really bad shape right now., and heading into the normal flu season. The US government financial supports have stopped and they are waiting for a new stimulus package of maybe $1200 in a couple of weeks. What good does a one-time benefit of $1200 do for people ?

The Trump administration and Republican Congress are total disasters and they will pay for it in November.
Unemployment is a State responsibility, not a Federal responsibility.

Trump is showing poor leadership, but several states are also doing a very bad job.

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Unemployment is a State responsibility, not a Federal responsibility.

Trump is showing poor leadership, but several states are also doing a very bad job.
Here we go, off on an entirely irrelevant topic already and not even about CANADA.

·
Registered
12,699 Posts
Canada is doing well. The Federal, Provincial, and Municipal governments all got praised by Toronto Mayor John Tory today.

Doug Ford and Justin Trudeau have an excellent relationship and it shows in the support for each other they display in public.

Our case count is low, deaths are rare, and most people are abiding by the rules. It is the COVidiots who are the oddballs in the crowd.

As a result of controlling the spread of the virus, the numbers of people with permanent damage are as low as possible.

We need to keep up the good work until a vaccine is found. There will be more government stimulus to support the economy and that is a good thing.

The alternatives are unacceptable to Canadians. Yes, we are not the US..........thank goodness.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts