Canadian Money Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As you probably know most people would not come to a forum like this so what brought us up to end up here?

Growing up I was taught the value of money and had to make my own money as a kid to get the things I wanted. But I still don't think this was the whole reason I came here because I suspect many others also had this upbringing but would not come to this forum. Although I was taught by my dad that if I ever borrow money or make a bet I must always pay up.

I suspect one reason is I was never follower and had no desire to have the best most expensive clothes in school. Most people grow up wishing they can fit in with the best clothes and go to the best parties get drunk, smoke and get high. If you asked me in school if I wanted to be like them, I would have rather beat them up in the school yard then spend and do what they do.

I never smoked because I thought it was a waste of money both in the now and the future spending it would have cost me. That is the thing when I was growing up I always thought about the future consequences of my actions.

I would also never borrow money or lend money to a friend figuring it would come back to haunt me in the future, so borrowing money never came natural to me as an adult. I also can't stand wasting things like food. So if someone said they had a food fight I would be more horrified by the waste of food then think it was funny.

So I am not sure what the story is with others here but it would be interesting to hear what is in your background that brought you here to this forum and be interested in investing and your future.

·
Registered
4,647 Posts
I'm a bit different than you but I agree that our up bringing probably led us here. My parents didn't teach me anything directly about money but they taught me work ethic and respect. My parents didn't tell me what to do and not to do so I learned to make important decisions for myself. I chose not to smoke or do drugs for my own health. I worked hard for money and at first spent it to fit in, now I spend it to have fun.

I remember the first day of high school looking around at everyone's brand name clothes. I actually made a budget of how much it would cost to buy myself a week's worth of clothes. I grew up piling wood, hay bales, and mowing lawns so I was surprised when people said I was too young to work. I got my first paying job mixing vermiculite/perlite/peat moss and chemicals for $5/hour-EI which was the worst job of my life. I got a second job milking cows before and after school and mixed peat moss on the weekend. When I was 14 I bought a set of brand name clothes and a dirt bike so I didn't have to peddle to work. I liked luxury things but I learned at a young age to earn them.

When I was 16 I joined the military and flew across the country for basic training for summer vacation. After that summer I bought a 7 year old Mazda (cringes at though of insurance) the original Palm Pilot, a cell phone, a laptop (these were expensive 10 yrs ago) and nice sports equipment. I kept milking cows and training with the army on the weekend (army training was fun compared to haying and piling wood) and kept doing the family chores. I definitely wasn't as smart with my money but I learned that working hard was rewarding.

I graduated with good grades and I felt social pressure to go to University like everyone else. I didn't want to spend my hard earned money on school so I applied for Officer training which included free degree. Instead of drinking my money away in university, I bought a motorbike and budgeted to save some every month. I met with a TD financial advisor who said something that gave me the impression I had no money to invest. I started to notice how everyone wasted their money away. I took a basic financial course and found it interesting. University taught me that I can figure out anything on my own.

After school, I decided to buy a house. At the time RE was booming and I crunched that as long as RE went up a modest amount it was worth owning a house. Up to this point I felt I really had a handle on my finances, but all the new factors were overwhelming. I met with a TD financial advisor again and almost let her throw all my money into mutual funds. Something didn't seem right and I became very skeptical of financial advisors and RE agents and mortgage brokers. If I listened to them I would have bought a bigger house with 0% down or something. I did a lot of reading and figured it all out on my own, but yea, it would have been nice to have found this place BEFORE I bought my house. I still have a lot to learn about investing but it is a lot easier now that I'm here

As for all the people who aren't

Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mode3sour it looks like hard work pushed you into this place. The peat moss chemical thing sounds like an interesting recipe. A thing you seem to have in common with me is you were not a follower and questioned what the spenders and followers would never question.

I forgot to mention I have done really well with my principle residence but I have never considered my house as an investment but instead as a place I want to live. I think those who count the money they made in their own house are in the losing game.

·
Registered
4,647 Posts
You have surely seen this horrid recipe in flower pots. The chemicals are pesticides and fertilizers and it was one dirty back breaking job. Ever since then I have enjoyed my job

The followers always say blindly that buying a house is smart. I agree you should just live where ever best suits your lifestyle. I've learned to question all conventional knowledge and I find forums a good place for that

·
Registered
6,868 Posts
I came here after becoming a shareholder in the Financial Webring, and after the demise of 50Plus. I think it was belguy that pointed to it. I have stayed because I think I can make a contribution.

I have made all the usual mistakes: penny stocks, flow-through shares, relying on an advisor, buying whole life insurance, holding a house through a downturn, holding too much company stock. So I can speak from experience on many subjects.

But I am still learning too. And I find the relevance and tone to be pretty good too.

·
Banned
678 Posts
I found this site through a link on another financial site.

I was just a reader for a while, then became a member as I saw that this site has some very intelligent and responsible posters, and I enjoyed reading their ideas.

Like everyone I have made mistakes in the past...most of which relate to listening to anything any "financial advisor" had to say, particularly about 7 years ago when I was building a couple of houses, (one for me, one for my brother), and was way too busy to really keep my eye on things.

It was a mistake I will never repeat again.

I consider myself a reasonably knowledgeable investor, and now watch over all of my, and my families accounts,( which are sizeable, not boasting here)

Whatever the size of your accounts , or what you think you know, there is always room to learn from other people and other viewpoints.

I appreciate all the posts I have read here, and thank the posters.

Most peoples eyes glaze right over when you start talking investments and particularly taxes. Such people do themselves a great dis-service and would be well advised to teach themselves about these matters, as they make a huge difference in the quality of their lives.

As for this site...I am happy to make any contributions,,,,and am appreciative to learn from other posters here.

·
Registered
7,252 Posts
If by "here" you mean this discussion forum, I came here as the Money Sense forum started going to the dogs (sorry, spammers) and the FWF was way too high volume for me to keep up with.
After a year-and-half, I think this forum has a very positive balance and great source of knowledge and experience.

If by "here" you mean the whole financial literacy, educated investing, etc. then like so many other folks, a series of circumstances brought me there.
Moving from country to country during my first few years of professional employment, I realized, I wasn't saving much money.
After deciding to finally settle here, I initially invested in mutual funds.
But soon realized how the fees were eating away my returns and how the returns were only a couple points or so above term deposits.
So gradually I started reading up and investing on my own.
From 2004 and onwards, financial information on the Internet really took off (for me, at least) and I was able to learn and research better.
Made a few mistakes on the way, made a few good bets as well that turned out well.
Learning through all of them, here I am.

·
Banned
2,508 Posts
What brought me to this forum? Found the link from Frugal's blog. I was getting sick of the immature posters at RFD where I posted a lot since 2007 in the finance section. However their finance section does have some great stuff on it and the high traffic does drag in some knowledgeable users, but it's not a specific money forum.

I didn't really like financial webring forum, I can see it's the same old posters who have thousands of posts, the forum seems stale and it gives the feeling like every questions has already been asked a million times, so it's just a reference now rather than a discussion.

I checked out Canadian business forum, it's ok, but I don't like the format. Half the forum threads are bashing foster, content and posts look old.

What brought me to this point? I don't want to work period and I want to be financially free as early as possible. I will do this through paying debt, saving and investing.

I never really learned a lot or started investing until 2007 when I bought a house. I started reading financial forums, reading books about stock investing, etc.

I was brought up in a some poverty times, so I think this has caused me to be rather frugal and enjoy finding deals and saving money. But I have always been a DIY kind of person; I get enjoyment of learning and then saving money to do it myself, including projects at home and with cars. When I think back to when I was younger as a kid, I liked the idea of working to have money (which made me apply for jobs and work for cash) and even saved money in a peanut butter jar when I was really young and spent it on Christmas present because my mom had no money. In my early 20’s I remember saving every dollar I made and putting it right in the bank asap so I could not touch it. After that I spend all my money on cars and wasted a lot of it.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I found this site by mistake , I am somewhat of a numismatist , and used to frequent the Canadian Paper Money Forum , one day I forgot to type in the "Paper" , and ended up at Canadian Money Forum.

Being an investor as well , I checked it out and have been here ever since.

Any other numismatists here?

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Bashing Foster that is very funny but true on Canadian Business jungle. You either have to bash Foster or read spam as harold said on that forum.

I also believe that everyone who posted so far have things in common. They are willing to think for themselves so they will question advisors, make mistakes and are not willing to take on to much risk unless they fully understand and control the amount and level of risk they will take.

I also think those who followed others growing up would not control or understand the risks if they did DIY. And if they did question their advisors they would probably not ask the right questions or understand the reasons why their advisors failed them. In fact some advisors may be doing the right thing and the clients can't see it because they simply cannot understand what the right things are.

DIY is very dangerous in the wrong hands. You have to have the upbringing and understanding to go forward and make and learn from your mistakes. The other people who roll their eyes and would never even look at a forum like this should stay away from DIY.

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
I found this site by mistake , I am somewhat of a numismatist , and used to frequent the Canadian Paper Money Forum , one day I forgot to type in the "Paper" , and ended up at Canadian Money Forum.

Being an investor as well , I checked it out and have been here ever since.

Any other numismatists here?
I have the interest in passing, but for some reason I couldn't get into the CPMF. Seemed too dry, almost juvenile at times, and most of the posts were by the same 5 people. Many threads are started and never get a single response, or might just get a single "cool" type response. It's a waste of a good forum really.

·
Banned
81 Posts
In my younger years I never really liked spending money, although I will admit it was easier to spend parents money if they gave me any. I did like saving though and I have (still do actually) a small jar where I put/still put change it. Usually I put change in it now if I had a coffee and paid with a 5$ bill or something.

I really got into investing this year when I took a Financial course at my High School. I honestly have to say its the best thing you could EVER do as a young teen. I have to say the class wasnt that large :D. But the teacher who taught it always talked about things such as mutual funds and the like, always said "Watch those fee's!".

I believe I came across this forum while searching google for a Canadian financial forum LOL.

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thats pretty good jamiechese, I didn't know there were teachers around like that.

Now I have to go out and take the kids trick or treating, something I am sure you guys out east have already done tonight.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I think I'm here because of the Globe and Mail, that took me to Canadian Capitalist, that took me here, not sure exactly.
My dad's an accountant, he certainly tought me the value of money, the importance of saving and not being in debt, but that's it. I love to learn, and I love to teach (the former more than the latter), so this forum's a great place for me. Because I wanted to save and invest from a young age, but needed guidance, I was with a useless and I realize very expensive financial advisor for years, I got out ~5 years ago and investing on my own since. He still sends me his emails with the latest investment ideas into the most expensive mutual funds because they have had a great performance in the last year or two. Only hear from him around RRSP season, wanting more money.
Anyway, it's nice to be in charge, and knowledge is power, that's why I'm here.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts