Canadian Money Forum banner

What are you watching?

27K views 78 replies 38 participants last post by  MARKJONES330 
#1 ·
Just was wondering what stocks are you watching and planning to buy on next dip or on the move up? What solid stocks you think is cheap now for a long term hold?

imho , all 5 Canadian banks are pretty cheap now ..
on NYSEside I'm watching WAG, NVS, UNS ....

#39 ·
ahh another fan of WFI.
Pleased to meet you.

are you holding or just watching?

I usually hold a few lots and trade this on highs and lows and always keep a few for the great dividend.
I was thinking about buying more lately cuz it is trading fairly low but too many other good choices out there as I think the geothermal will be in the shadows for a while.

whats your thoughts on this stock in the next couple years?

#41 ·
I'm watching dividend-heavy ETFs, specifically watching ZDV (a BMO dividend equity fund) and ZUT (the BMO equal weight utilities index).

ZDV is pretty new, so I have to research it further. It holds quite a few high dividend yielding Canadian stocks and you can see how beaten up its getting in this sell-off. This is probably because those high yielders are inherently riskier stocks.

ZUT seems like a very nice vehicle. Prior to the selloff it was yielding approx 5.1% net of fees. Currently it's yielding 5.2% net of fees. However, my research gives a projected yield (once you adjust for some unsustainable underlying dividends) of more like 4.5% net of fees, at the current price.

#46 ·
And today is up another 6%, and a nice recovery from the 52 week low.

I thought I was the only one familiar with this stock here. :)

The stock rise has a lot to do with momentum.

If you're an investor, good luck, but just keep in mind that the stock could suffer similar set-back as it did earlier this year, when the FDA rejected perifosine after the Phase III clinical trials [despite a lot of hype that it would get approved].

#49 ·
Watching BTE too. I sold it as part of tax loss selling in mid Dec. It's kind of bounced around the $42-44 range in the past month, so I think I will wait and see for now. I may get into it if it hit low $43. Also couple small cap stocks caught my eye, particularly MCB (McCoy Corp). It seems to have performed very well in the past 3 months. Anyone following or holding position in MCB?

#51 ·
Read many overall economic and market forecasts for NA and globally that recommended EAFE and International stocks as a good area this year. They have done nicely this yr. ZLD BMO low volatility hedged etf up ~ 9-10% so far. Not bad for lower risk index investing.

#64 ·
This is my watch list; things I have been thinking about initiating a position in, but for various reasons have not...

VNR Valener Inc
AQN Algonquin Power & Utilities Corp
ALA Altagas Ltd
UFS Domtar Corp
RUS Russel Metals Inc
MX Methanex Corporation
HLF High Liner Foods Inc
EMP.A Empire Company Limited
PZA Pizza Pizza Royalty Corp
AP.UN Allied Properties Real Estate Investment
CSH.UN Chartwell Retirement Residences

#69 · (Edited)
I was wathing AW.UN about year ago, but at the end , added more KEG.UN (apparently it happened to be good call :)), didn't follow AW for some time and was surprised that it's close to 52 weeks low... what happened? some bad Q reports? need to take closer look , maybe worth buying at some points as i 'm looking for some TFSA additions...

eder, what price you are planning to repurchase? Imho, 5% yield (price $32) will be a good entry point

#73 ·
I do want to get back in before next q report though
I understand...because if Q report will be good, stock will become expensive before you click the button :) . btw, today it was 2% up on high (for this stock volume), I'd be buyer at $32 or below, but not sure if it gonna drop there.
btw, do you knw when AW nxt Q report?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.