Canadian Money Forum banner
1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Banned
12,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just was wondering what stocks are you watching and planning to buy on next dip or on the move up? What solid stocks you think is cheap now for a long term hold?

imho , all 5 Canadian banks are pretty cheap now ..
on NYSEside I'm watching WAG, NVS, UNS ....

·
Registered
107 Posts
I've still been watching preferreds. I don't really see a whole lot of value in equities at the moment given the economic outlook.

I think if I can get 6-10% total return (CG & Dividend) from an investment with very little risk I'm more than happy to continue with a boring investment style until the markets realize the global economy is in big trouble.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Nothing much to buy right now. I'm watching:

BEI.UN - looking for it under $50.00. Doesn't look like it will happen anytime soon.

CGX - If it goes below $22.00

ECA - This one scares me, but if it gets to the point where there's "blood in the streets" eg. under $15.00, I may not be able to resist.

ENB - sold this one recently at a relative high as part of a process of converting my RRSP to passive investments. Would like to buy it back in my trading account if it falls somewhere around $32.00

HR.UN - around $20.00

PBN - no real target but preferably lower. Still thinking about this one.

TA - below $20.00 This is the closest one to becoming a reality

·
Banned
12,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Got e-mail notification from TDW... maybe to lock some small amount :confused: ot the other hand in 2 years those rate probably will be much better ....
TD Bank Monthly Pay Step-Up Extendible Notes, August 6, 2012 to February 6, 2022

Short Description: Offering of Extendible (at Issuer's Option) Notes
Maturity: August 06, 2012
Coupon: Year 1: 2.90%
Year 2: 2.95%
Year 3: 3.00%
Year 4: 3.05%
Year 5: 3.10%
Year 6: 3.15%
Year 7: 3.20%
Year 8: 3.25%
Year 9: 3.30%
Year 10: 3.35%
Price: $100.00 CDN per $100 par value.
Yield to Maturity: 3.13% semi-annual; 3.15% annual
Settlement: February 6, 2012

·
Registered
180 Posts
I've still been watching preferreds. I don't really see a whole lot of value in equities at the moment given the economic outlook.

I think if I can get 6-10% total return (CG & Dividend) from an investment with very little risk I'm more than happy to continue with a boring investment style until the markets realize the global economy is in big trouble.
What preferred shares are you looking at with that return?

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
I've been watching CPD -

I can drip the monthyl 0.069 distribution

I'm looking to buy 600 shares over the next few months - (hoping for a good sized dip in the market) - I'll buy gradually say, 300 shares or so at a time.

600 shares will cost $10,500 - and will generate about 42.00 per month. Reinvest each month (buy 2 shares each month), will generate 24 shares per year (or another 100 shares every 4 years). I'll earn a little more each month as the dripped amounts add more shares to the total number of shares.

This should compound nicely over say 8-12 years - that's a rather long time horizon, but I like some of my pf to be hands-off and passive. If interest rates rise (significantly, then sell and move the proceeds into GIC's... or some other product that isn't as rate sensitive)

I'm already doing this with CDZ and CYH.

·
Banned
12,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
and I'm still watching GH.TO , extremely low beta 0.13, as per INK report big insider buying, no selling, nice and stable yield 7.6% ...
What scares me, it's extremely low volume....like today I can see all transaction on tmx.com as were only made 10 transaction...

·
Banned
602 Posts
I'm watching two ADR's. VALE (NYSE:VALE) and Total SA (NYSE:TOT). Both have high yield and low PE ratios, and I could sell (seemingly) profitable calls against them.

What's holding me back is that both stocks are ADR's. I'm not sure how I want to weigh the risks of fluctuations in the Real/Euro to the USD to the CAD.

·
Banned
12,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm watching 2 dividend stocks AFL and MSFT. Both has very low P/E and payout ratio. Would like to buy AFL if it goes down to below $38 (~3.5% yield) and MSFT below $27 (~3% yield). Any opinions on those 2?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm watching

eBay (NDQ:EBAY) has been high on my watch list for a few weeks, mostly because it owns Paypal and I like some of the initiatives in the works. PayPal had a great q1 with registered users growing more than 10% and revenue up more than 30%. About 1/2 of the revenues from both businesses came from outside North American - excellent geographic diversification. The stock did move up after the results came out and even though it looks cheap I'm watching it and hoping to pick up more at a lower price.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Lately watch KEY, PBN and BNP. I probably would have bought BNP already were it not for all the insider's who are selling at low prices. What do they know that the analysts don't? Might pick up PBN or KEY on a dip.

1 - 20 of 79 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.