Canadian Money Forum banner

41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Just sold BB at $30.05. May regret doing that too soon but can't complain - never thought I would make a profit on what was left of my BB. May buy it back again if it gets back under $10.00.
Well done. The stock is down -28% today.

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
Yes, just saw that. Problem now, is what to do with proceeds from both my recent sells (about $20k in 2 accounts). Was going to buy XIU yesterday, but had to go out. Nice jump back for TSX today. Missed that.

·
Registered
3,348 Posts
Yes it is. You don't actually get paid any interest. You buy the bond (coupon) at a discount and collect the full face value at maturity. In the case I mentioned, I paid about 83.00 and would have received $100 at maturity. For tax purposes, you have to declare interest each year even although you don't receive it. You also have to add this annual interest to your acb. At maturity, your acb equals the face value so there is capital gain. Not a problem in a registered account, but a lot of accounting in taxable account.

Nomenclature is confusing - Strip bonds, coupon bonds etc. Some info here: Investing in strip bonds (part 1) | Qtrade Investor
Interesting... thanks for the education! I'm intimidated by bonds so I only buy ETFs.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Sold out of MESA. Outlier airline stock that has tripled in the last 6 months and is up and has almost doubled in the last 3 weeks.
I bought in well before the pandemic, but still managed to make money on this one. Small holding.
Still profitable, PE under 15. It probably has more room to move yet.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I have a few holdings I bought high in late 2019 that I bought more in April 2020. Now that they're recovering I've been selling my high positions taking profits or simply recovering my money as I anticipate another downturn.

I've been waiting for the downturn since the US election and took some buying opportunities on Tuesday (Feb 23).

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
just sold my WCP holding after it broke 6. The last time it was above 6 was Nov 2018...almost 2.5 years!

41 - 57 of 57 Posts