Canadian Money Forum banner

21 - 40 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
VIAC hit my first sell point, so a portion of it sold today. Looks like my sell price is above the daily high, which is a bit odd (29.02 vs 28.86)

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Sold most of my CAE very close to today's high. Has run up quite a bit in the last month. If it goes below 20 or 21 I'll buy back in. And if it continues upwards, I still have some left in a different account.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I don't feel great about this timing, but I sold 30K of USD that I had been sitting on, sold @ 1.308

I have both CAD+USD cash but when I looked at the ratio, I found I was holding way more USD than I want. My targets are 75% CAD and 25% USD cash for a bit of diversification.

Just wish I had sold earlier :( For a few weeks now I've been thinking to myself, I hold too much USD and should convert some. Oh well.
Could you elaborate on your chosen ratio of CAD to USD? I am a novice investor and haven't thought about what ratios are healthy.

·
Registered
19,619 Posts
Could you elaborate on your chosen ratio of CAD to USD? I am a novice investor and haven't thought about what ratios are healthy.
I'm deciding based on where I think I will spend cash in the coming years. I [used to] frequently take vacations in the US, and I'm definitely going to spend USD in the future.

So I'm just aiming to keep some amount of USD cash around.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Does investing in the US market vs Canadian market play a role at all? For example the ability to invest in Nasdaq and NYSE?

·
Registered
19,619 Posts
Does investing in the US market vs Canadian market play a role at all? For example the ability to invest in Nasdaq and NYSE?
That might be a good idea to keep USD cash on hand, but that's not an issue for me. I mostly invest in the US using ZSP, an ETF based in Canada (trades in CAD) which gives pure S&P 500 index exposure. When you buy ZSP, the currency conversion happens automatically. So even when I'm investing in the US, my buy orders are in CAD.

But yeah, some people who like buying individual US stocks probably want to keep some USD cash lying around for that purpose too.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Luckily, we have access to the American market through Canadian listed ETFs, so just like James, I use the same ZSP. for Nasdaq I use ZQQ(hedged) and ZNQ(unhedged).

·
Registered
582 Posts
Sold positions in the non registered account that were more than 30% up over cost basis to capture capital gains. Bought a similar stock in each situation. After the required time has elapsed I might trade back to my original holding. Sold OVV once it got close to its cost basis on recent oil strength. Oh, the once mighty Encana has melted to the OVV puddle

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
Sold ZRE and XRE in TFSAs. Not yet replaced.
Sold ZDV in taxable plus some Riocan to balance loss/gain.
moved CM,BNS,EIF,TRP,TD in RRIFs, in kind, to add to same in taxable accounts.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Exited my position in BPY.UN @ 21.81 earlier this week. Originally purchased in January of 2020 at $23.60. I haven't done the calculation on total return but a quick look tells me this will be a wash (or perhaps -1% return) after dividends and trading fees. I had placed the sell order the day following the announcement to go private and see that the order was filled on Jan 19th.

·
Registered
3,950 Posts
Sold ZRE and XRE in TFSAs. Not yet replaced.
Sold ZDV in taxable plus some Riocan to balance loss/gain.
moved CM,BNS,EIF,TRP,TD in RRIFs, in kind, to add to same in taxable accounts.
Why are you ditching real estate?

Is it because of future rate hikes and covid?

Do you not think there could be some huge gains to be made in the next 1-2 years?

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
IMO Offices, retail not likely to do well for years. Never ever saw huge gains on REITs and especially REITs etfs. Equity in home will do fine.

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
Last April, in midst of Covid market crash, I sold some risky equities and bought several short term GICs, bonds and coupons (in our taxable accounts). Most have matured, but for some reason I also bought a Bell coupon with 2026 maturity. Coupons are a pain to keep track of for tax purposes, so I decided to sell. In a registered account, I would have kept it.

i paid $8278.80 last April. Today I sold (after $100 commission) for $8990.90. Total of about 9 months. Capital gain $712.10. 8.6% or 11.47% on annual basis!

This is it: CPN BELL CANADA SERIES EU @ 82.7880C$ 10.00% BOOK ENTRY ONLY DUE 06/01/2026 YIELD:3.1046% S/A;3.1287% ANN. Currently 90.xxC$ yielding about 2%.

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
Just sold BB at $30.05. May regret doing that too soon but can't complain - never thought I would make a profit on what was left of my BB. May buy it back again if it gets back under $10.00.

·
Registered
3,348 Posts
Last April, in midst of Covid market crash, I sold some risky equities and bought several short term GICs, bonds and coupons (in our taxable accounts). Most have matured, but for some reason I also bought a Bell coupon with 2026 maturity. Coupons are a pain to keep track of for tax purposes, so I decided to sell. In a registered account, I would have kept it.

i paid $8278.80 last April. Today I sold (after $100 commission) for $8990.90. Total of about 9 months. Capital gain $712.10. 8.6% or 11.47% on annual basis!

This is it: CPN BELL CANADA SERIES EU @ 82.7880C$ 10.00% BOOK ENTRY ONLY DUE 06/01/2026 YIELD:3.1046% S/A;3.1287% ANN. Currently 90.xxC$ yielding about 2%.
What is a coupon? Is it a type of bond?

·
Registered
19,619 Posts
Just sold BB at $30.05. May regret doing that too soon but can't complain - never thought I would make a profit on what was left of my BB. May buy it back again if it gets back under $10.00.
Congrats!

And I keep hoping the Ontario Teachers Pension sells into this strength. I just can't imagine letting these stupid prices slip through their fingers.

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
What is a coupon? Is it a type of bond?
Yes it is. You don't actually get paid any interest. You buy the bond (coupon) at a discount and collect the full face value at maturity. In the case I mentioned, I paid about 83.00 and would have received $100 at maturity. For tax purposes, you have to declare interest each year even although you don't receive it. You also have to add this annual interest to your acb. At maturity, your acb equals the face value so there is capital gain. Not a problem in a registered account, but a lot of accounting in taxable account.

Nomenclature is confusing - Strip bonds, coupon bonds etc. Some info here: Investing in strip bonds (part 1) | Qtrade Investor

·
Registered
4,157 Posts
Got stopped out of TQQQ yesterday when it took a fast drop. Entered the position Nov 3, booked a profit over $100,000. Will probably get back in , in a few days, especially if it fills the gap by dropping to 93.
Put in a buy order for 2000 shares @ 93 this morning, got hit about 3:30 then took off up. This is the first time I hit it exactly. Up $5000 at end of day. Will buy more in the next few days.

21 - 40 of 57 Posts