Canadian Money Forum banner

1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What stocks are you selling today?

I notice that the Richardson GMP Tactical strategy indicator moved from 81% equities last week to 46% today. Quite a change in sentiment.

Anyone taking their profits and rebalancing?

Haven't sold anything myself yet, but I will be looking at profit taking on some of the big winners from last year and will buy back some covered calls that have moved down.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I haven't sold anything just going through earnings reports to see if there is anything I don't want any longer. Most of my holdings haven't reported yet, especially on the Canadian side while on the US side I have some earnings news releases to review so far and no 10Q filings in some instances.

The one time non-cash tax changes effecting earnings in the US this quarter are going to skew trailing PE ratios for the rest of the year and I don't know how the market and market algorithms are going to treat those stocks yet. I might use this effect as an aid in the search for value over the course of this year and next.

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
Went long both OTM calls & puts as of late. Looks like we are in a third wave down that is part of a 5. The market could crash big time right here. If not will look to add to puts on wave 2 correction which often retraces .618 of decline.

We are in the Steve Puetz crash window where the 8 greatest crashes from the 1637 Tulip Mania to the Tokyo 1990 stock crash. Puetz notes once the panic starts it usually lasts 2 - 4 weeks. The Tendency is for the market to peek a few days before the full moon move flat to slightly lower waiting for the full moon to pass then on the day of the full moon or slightly after the brunt of the crash hits the market.

All eight crashes started 6 days before to 3 days after a full moon within 6 weeks of a solar eclipse. Odds of happening 1 in 127,000

This could get interesting

If not the top the volatility is signaling danger. We have had record low volatility which is often seen going into a top then a few months before the top the volatility picks up which can be seen in an increase in the VIX. This is the most dangerous stock market in US history

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
Went long both OTM calls & puts as of late

oh, you were buying strangles? hmmmn this would be a good market to buy strangles

The Tendency is for the market to peek a few days before the full moon move flat to slightly lower waiting for the full moon to pass then on the day of the full moon or slightly after the brunt of the crash hits the market.

All eight crashes started 6 days before to 3 days after a full moon within 6 weeks of a solar eclipse.

we've passed the full blue wolf moon & the lunar planet is now visibly shrinking each & every day. Feb 14th should be an all-black night with no visible moon whatsoever. Then the new moon should appear feb 15th.

these are the days for getting rid of things, as grandmother moon shrinks herself towards nothing, say the six nation clan mothers.

once we're into the new moon & are rotating back towards the next full moon on march 2nd, the times might be right for acquiring things.

·
Registered
6,001 Posts
Dont we already HAVE a "what are you selling thread"?
(btw ...just sold our '07 Civic last nite!)
... yeah, but this one is a "catch-all" you see. So congrats on selling your decade-old Civic !.... just in time to buy some more WEED, NINE, or financing that trip to Mexico or are you sticking with Jamaica? :encouragement:

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
This is an old thread but I thought it made sense to post here instead of the what are you buying thread. Perhaps a mod can merge those posts here.

Sold AFN.TO today after yesterday's 10% jump. I held this position a number of years(2012) and sold almost half at $55.XX. I still like the stock and the space and think they will increase the dividend in time but I am trying to place some guidelines around selling going forward. It has always been a tough decision for me.

No dividend increase year one a quick analysis of the stock to address debt, cashflow, earnings, payout ratio and dividend stability. After 2 years without an increase revisit to if the numbers have improved. As Total return is what matters share price appreciation should play a factor. That being said that has always resulted in my indecision. Both FOMO on future gains but more so regret on selling at a loss.

·
Registered
20,499 Posts
I'm also surprised we don't have an active thread on selling. Thanks for posting, @londoncalling

I sold a bunch of S&P 500 (SPY) and gold (IAU) last Friday -- see this thread. This was a bit of 'market timing' on my part, though I would have had to sell it eventually anyway.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Sold west coast terminals after a good price bump, and not too much big upside. Teck is advancing their own terminal, and that will take a lot of business away.

Sold stella jones after picking it up a few weeks ago, before the good results were announced.

I am sitting on a lot of others that are down from feb highs, but gradually coming back.

I have put more cash into beat up holdings that i think have a way back.

I have just in itrade moved all rrsp us holdings to a 'us friendly format'.
I have sold a bunch of cdn bond xbb and xqb from rrsp and will go with agg us bond fund instead.

The us moves are to try to protect against what I feel will be a softening of the CAD$ with the new federal dynamic duo now not even trying to turn back the spending tap.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Sold some MGM and a bit more DIS. VIAC is getting close to my sell range so I'll start to enter sell orders for that.

·
Registered
20,499 Posts
I don't feel great about this timing, but I sold 30K of USD that I had been sitting on, sold @ 1.308

I have both CAD+USD cash but when I looked at the ratio, I found I was holding way more USD than I want. My targets are 75% CAD and 25% USD cash for a bit of diversification.

Just wish I had sold earlier :( For a few weeks now I've been thinking to myself, I hold too much USD and should convert some. Oh well.

1 - 20 of 86 Posts