Canadian Money Forum banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts
Like some others I save in reverse: a habit sort of brought on by med school I borrowed the downpayment on my house and then "saved" up for it after graduating residency. Last year I borrowed from LOC to finish off the new house: detached garage, landscaping, fence and low-maintenance deck and then spent this spring "saving" for it. Now I borrowed from LOC to finish off the basement which was started in April. I am now finally beginning to "save" for that now.

Hopefully later this year I'll buy myself a new used car - maybe I'll actually finally save up for something in advance of buying it. I do actually remember a time in my life when I saved up for things but sometimes going to professional schools you dig yourself so deep into debt that you really can't be bothered with the fiction of saving up for anything.

Short term - Buying a house. Nothing extravagent, I just want to own my own home.

Long term - Retirement. Unfortunately I spent much of the last decade in the proverbial wilderness so I'm having to make up for lost time.

I am currently saving to pay down on my car loan first, and then hoping I will save enough for a down payment for a condo. It's like getting rid of one debt, and quickly bringing in another. :mad:

I was looking at my TSFA account balance recently and momentarily I couldn't remember why I had socked away all the money inside. Sometimes I find I have a hard time connecting the cash or investments in an account with something tangible that I might consume at some point. It made me realise that aside from obvious rationales, i.e., retirement and emergency fund, I really should have a purpose for saving, otherwise I'm just needlessly depriving myself in the short term. Now I remember that I'm trying to save up so that I might be able to put down a downpayment on condo and buy a car some day.

So, what are you saving up for? Now that I think about it some more, I think might need to save up and replace or upgrade my aging desktop computer.
I'm saving up to buy my future. I agree with you though that sometimes, I feel I am depriving myself in the short term. I think that's the principle of delayed gratification. Sacrificing your short term needs for a greater future benefit. :)

I'm saving up for another baby.:) Last time I was very ill during my pregnancy so I think it is better to plan that I will have to take 6 months before and one year after the baby and I'm self employed so i don't get maternity leave through EI

It's a lot of $$$

Ring... then downpayment (and meanwhile filling up the TFSA and RRSP)
The more I think about buying a house the further away it seems... Originaly I was planning 20% down to avoid the insurance and have some equity in the home if things go south. Now, after I looked more into all aditional costs (maintenance fees, repairs, etc.). Also I would much rather pay rent than interest... It gives me mobility. Now I'm thinking about 40-50% down.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.