Canadian Money Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
TFSA + cash left over for other things (build a shed)...I just have to get it done! With a refund in the works I know I should have it done by now...

·
Registered
52 Posts
threw mine on our mortgage.

My wife hasn't decided yet, but chances are she will put it in her bank account as she usually does. She loves having cash reserves in the bank, and I see no reason to not to.

Not my preference, but she feels safer with more money in the bank, I feel safer with less debt.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Just parked it in the savings account for now. Building up the funds, and then planning to go back to skimming off the top toward the mortgage/RRSP.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Most of them will probably go towards the TFSA, I'm considering setting aside a portion of it and put it into RRSP as well.:)

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm also adding to my emergency fund with the money I get back. I had been planning to put it to the mortgage, but now just want to have it in easily accessible savi,gs.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I spend 2/3 on debt, and the last 1/3 went into my emergency fund, and I ended up needing it for just what it was intended for.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Terminology ambiguity here with the thread title. To me, the tax RETURN is the paperwork we file to the CRA, or its electronic equivalent. Hopefully it results in a tax REFUND, which is I think what we're really talking about here?

www.wealthyboomer.ca

·
Registered
160 Posts
Just a side note (and probably playing devil's advocates here), a salaried worker really shouldn't get any tax refund at the end of the year. Tax refunds are usually generated by purchasing RRSP. Therefore, it's best to purchase the RRSP at the beginning of the year (or through monthly purchase if you don't have enough money) and then file a T1213 to reduce your tax deduction. That way, you maximize the tax shelter and do not let the government gain 6 months of interests.

·
Registered
204 Posts
What a frugal and responsible bunch! We'll probably pump it back into my wife's RRSP (I did mine already). However, this year only we're also considering splurging $10,000 on some summer renovation project in the back yard in order to get the $1,350 Home Renovation Tax Credit (15% of $9,000; the first $1,000 doesn't generate the credit).

·
Registered
333 Posts
Ideally, shouldn't we be getting any refund? Or pay a bit at the end of year? Personally, I hate to see our government holding onto my money for the whole year.

Just out of curiosity, how many of you utilized (or thinking of utilizing) Form T1213 to reduce tax deduction at the source, thus minimizing overpayment of taxes?

EDIT: Archanfel, sorry I've repeated your comments. I just saw your post. :O(

1 - 20 of 28 Posts