1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Banned
701 Posts
My wife and I bought a number of shares of Fossil (FOSL), The Buckle (BKE) and American Eagle (AEO) stock at the end of 2008 and beginning of 2009.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Consumer goods, a new bed, some items to begin our home renovations, and potentially some appliances replace the antiques we have now. Generally just doing things that relate to cheap, but big value-add upgrades to our house, and replacing things that are worn out.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Funny this article mentions lobster and cashmere but whatever floats your boats

http://www.examiner.com/x-3226-LA-Top-News-Examiner~y2009m4d19-Its-time-to-go-shopping-10-things-to-buy-during-the-recession

I will have to look at computer memory and see if the prices have come down. I am also looking at picking up an external hard drive and maybe a trip to good ol' England in December to visit a relative.

Any big ticket purchases for you folks in this downturn ?
For us, the only major purchases are materials to renovate and make additions to the house.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I picked up 2 GB of memory for my laptop, I spent $40 and got some money back for the original sticks

I also just bought some lobster for the family. $4.99 each, straight from New Brunswick. Cheaper than eating out :)

·
Registered
305 Posts
In one day a couple of weeks ago, we bought a new camera (Panasonic ZS1), a Taylormade R7 driver, and 2 shirts. Big spenders.

Just finished booking 2 flights, 2-week road trip through UK in August. There's a fan of the Tudor court in the household.

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
The only adjustment I've made to my finances so far is to triple my charitable giving, because many charities are hurting due to the reduction in donations during the recession. A few years ago I decided to increase my charitable giving to 10 percent of my gross income, but that proved to be easier to say than to do. I only gave about 1 percent last year, so I'm ramping up gradually and might make it to 5 percent this year.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
The only adjustment I've made to my finances so far is to triple my charitable giving, because many charities are hurting due to the reduction in donations during the recession. A few years ago I decided to increase my charitable giving to 10 percent of my gross income, but that proved to be easier to say than to do. I only gave about 1 percent last year, so I'm ramping up gradually and might make it to 5 percent this year.
I have increased my charitable donations this year as well. Good going Brad!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts