Canadian Money Forum banner
181 - 200 of 207 Posts

·
Registered
23,578 Posts
I keep feeling like buying but my asset allocation won't let me. I'm still overweight equities, so I'm not allowed to buy stocks.

The only thing I'm underweight is fixed income and I have to wait before buying a new GIC for my ladder. That means I can't make any trades right now, really just waiting until it's time to buy another GIC.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
I keep feeling like buying but my asset allocation won't let me. I'm still overweight equities, so I'm not allowed to buy stocks.

The only thing I'm underweight is fixed income and I have to wait before buying a new GIC for my ladder. That means I can't make any trades right now, really just waiting until it's time to buy another GIC.
It's good to stick to your asset allocation. For me cash is above target but has a bit more room before I am at max cash allocation at which point I will be "forced" to buy. I still haven't gotten used to the increased cash position so that desire to buy on days like we've seen this week are even more tempting.

Agreed. In the 2008-2009 crisis, most bottom feeders were buying in Nov-Dec 2008. The bottom was not until March 2009 but that is/was relatively irrelevant over the longer term.
FOMO works in both directions. For me the financial crisis in 2008 seemed to be a very long and painful time to be in the markets. For context one can go back and review threads here and over at FWF to get the overall feeling of DIY investors. I didn't panic and want to cash out but I did regret deploying my cash too quickly.

The correction in 2020 was a lot quicker but one still had plenty of time to buy if they weren't panicked. The euphoria of 2021's market returns has certainly waned even though we are roughly where we started the year. 3 months of up and down don't mean much in the big scheme of things. We could see a sideways market for years. Sideways and down markets are not good for buy and hold investors.

I cancelled some longer standing orders today. This will prevent me from jumping in too deep too soon if we are going to head into bear territory. Volatility is starting to creep up but nowhere near the levels experienced during those market crashes.

VIX 33.52 +6.50 +24.06% : CBOE Market Volatility Index - MSN Money

I don't have first hand experience with the bear in the 200s which appears to have taken longer to regain the losses.

Many are forecasting the next bear(whenever it is)to be a long one. If that is the case, those in accumulation mode will have lots of time to get in on the next bull run. It doesn't bode as well for those at or near retirement if they have gotten accustomed to the market returns of the last decade.

Canada Stock Market Index (TSX) - 2022 Data - 1979-2021 Historical - 2023 Forecast (tradingeconomics.com)

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Initiated a position in ARE.TO today at $14.50. Allocation to Industrials was below target due to poor performance of NFI and sale of BDT. I had an order in for ARE.TO last week for about $1 more that I cancelled.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Bought Bookings[ formerly Priceline] . Its new bookings are through the roof . They are breaking all previous records. I am looking for companies with solid and growing earnings and this fits the bill quite nicely. After 2 years of Covid every second person wants to travel. The US airlines have record bookings.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Added to my position in MFC this morning at $21.95. Not sure if the 10% drop this morning was warranted from the quarterly report yesterday aftermarket.. I understand there will be a slow down from business operations in Asia.

·
Registered
4,640 Posts
Added to my position in MFC this morning at $21.95. Not sure if the 10% drop this morning was warranted from the quarterly report yesterday aftermarket.. I understand there will be a slow down from business operations in Asia.
Your post inspired me to nibble.

I also got in at 21.95. Just a tiny bit for me for now.

181 - 200 of 207 Posts