Canadian Money Forum banner

What are you buying? 2022

55K views 518 replies 57 participants last post by  Faramir 
#1 ·
Took a gamble on MESA after a big drop this morning. Short term hold.
Doubled down on MESA on the premise that omicron will result in short term staffing issues but travel will continue to rebound strongly in to the spring/summer.

Bought some TRP. Also some ETHX for swing, but also FOMO reasons if I'm being honest.

#3 ·
CHP.UN
FTS (kinda high right now, imo)
CAR.UN
XSP
CGR

Finding it difficult to buy things as everything just seems insane. But alas, I guess that is the result of printing exorbitant amounts of money...

#8 · (Edited)
VGRO for grandchild's RESP and VEQT for my own TFSA contribution. I have limit orders in place for both.

I had been buying MAW104 (currently 70/30 AA) in the RESP but am starting to buy VGRO this year now that BMOIL has a number of commission free ETFs. I was loathe to pay a $10 commission on a ~$2k purchase in previous years. I will continue to purchase VGRO for another 5 years or so until the parents have enough earning power to fund their own RESP contributions for their child. I will also continue to buy VEQT for my TFSA until I either die or become incompetent.

Very late edit: At my age, KISS principles for investing.

Reactions: fstamand
#10 ·
I'm having fun.

Bought a new nano cap, NLH
Added to an existing nano cap, VCI
Added to my small caps RAY-A, NWC and ERO

#14 · (Edited)
TD, my one stock TFSA.
Kinda risky. Imagine how would that turned out if someone was invested in Deutsche bank since 2009.
has similar earnings, debt and cash as TD. But tenth of market cap.
plus I don’t understand why people are still using big banks for everyday banking, they are not cheap services, no exceptional customer service (try to get a hold on a phone or chat), and everyone is doing banking online anyway. Credit union or small unaffiliated financial institutions (EQ, Wyth, Neo etc) are great and cheaper alternative.

#28 ·
As opposed to adding new positions to our taxable accounts, we decided to increase the minimum amount threshold for existing holdings. So far for 2022 we have added to our holdings of SLF, H, ACO-X & RNW. A continuance of our dividend investing strategy along with a +/- 85% equity & 15% fixed income allocation.

2022 TFSA contributions as well as 2021 distributions were used to purchase more DIR in both TFSA accounts.

#36 ·
Curious to know....SAP price has been on a downward trend for many years. It has remained stagnant. Although it seems well priced today, what is the expectation? They are doing ok, however, no news of any major growth which will stimulate its value. Dividend acceptable but not great. I've been wanting to start a position for quite some time, but I keep hesitating.

#37 ·
I am wishing I hadn't upped my first bid to 28.39 but that is FOMO at it's best. The stock made some acquisitions years ago which compressed margins and its dividend growth. A lot of its sales are commercial, (think travel and hospitality) which have been hit super hard during the pandemic. I am expecting the next quarterly report to feel Omicron pain. I bought it due to the fact that I was low in consumer staples as well as its diversification into other countries for a long term play. It will likely be some time before we see strong dividend growth but they are yielding about 1% above their 5year average. I do expect longer term for the company to have better dividend growth. I have a bit more cash set aside to buy at $26 ish but be fine with price appreciation getting me to the 3-4% weighting I am seeking.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.