Canadian Money Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

What are you buying? 2021

207K views 481 replies 70 participants last post by  scorpion_ca 
#1 ·
Considering dabbling in a little ZRE; would be a long-term hold so if it drops more, not the biggest issue.
I was thinking about real estate too, given that valuations are pretty good right now. After mass vaccine rollout and the pandemic behind us, it should bounce back. ZRE is a good choice given that it's an equal-weight methodology, so you have no overexposure to one sub-sector. The yield looks pretty attractive too close to 5%. Thanks for bringing this up!

#4 ·
Considering dabbling in a little ZRE; would be a long-term hold so if it drops more, not the biggest issue.
Last year, I decided we should have some additional real estate exposure (we have Riocan in taxable account and reluctant to sell because of low acb). I put about $5k each of XRE and ZRE into our TFSAs. Problem with these ETFs, is that you get the bad with the good. XRE down 18% and ZRE down 11.75% since this time last year. Even at current low REIT valuations, yields (4.75-5%) are not much better than the banks (4-5.25%) , so why buy REIT ETFs? Will they bounce back soon? Seems unlikely given the headwinds for many REITs and the less than stellar yields.

I hate to sell XRE/ZRE given the losses incurred. But that may be the smart thing to do. Perhaps replace with banks or utilities or aristocrats with history of dividend growth???? Good ideas welcomed!

#42 · (Edited)
I hate to sell XRE/ZRE given the losses incurred. But that may be the smart thing to do. Perhaps replace with banks or utilities or aristocrats with history of dividend growth???? Good ideas welcomed!
Well I did sell all XRE and ZRE at loss in TFSAs as well as some Riocan in taxable account with big gain (offset by selling ZDV at a loss). So cut overall Real Estate to 800 shares of Riocan .

Bought Telus (T) and Great West Life (GWO) in taxable accounts plus a little ENB.PR.I.

Bought small amount of AT&T (T) in my RRIF, just to use up US$ that had accumulated.

Some corporate bonds, convertible debentures and GICs matured in 2020. I replaced them with a 5 year rate reset pfd ladder. and five perpetuals. Expected dividend yields on cost of over 5% for both types for at least next 6-10 years. Almost my investment horizon :(

#9 ·
Here's a new thread. The previous one is here:

#17 ·
XRE is an interesting one for sure. Over 18 years it has performed at 8.9% CAGR (total return including distributions) which is very strong. That suggests this is a legit asset class with good long term returns.

You're also buying it 20% below its recent peak, so that probably is a fine entry point to buy more.

#25 ·
No turnaround required IMO.
They have one of the best set of Price ratios in tech.

The new product will be very competative, and they're specifically not focusing on gaming, which will hurt their consumer visibility. I expect them to remain a bit of sleeper.

I'm interested in the new Athena/EVO laptops coming up soon.

#24 ·
Bought FSV.TO at the beginning of the year.

Bought AHC.TO today.

#33 ·
I added to our Telus holdings today. Brings allocation in telecoms to 13%. Utilities are about same. But Financials (mainly banks) are 44%, which is too high. We have only 2.5% in REITs and 4.6% in Energy. Rest is spread through industrials, transportation (EIF) & consumer (Unilever).

Sold ZDV (bought last time I was at a loss as to what to buy) in taxable account. Need to decide to add some non-bank stocks to help diversify our equities. Maybe some consumer staples.

#39 ·
Sold ZDV (bought last time I was at a loss as to what to buy) in taxable account. Need to decide to add some non-bank stocks to help diversify our equities. Maybe some consumer staples.
Curious what you didn't like about ZDV? Was it because of what you mentioned about being too high in financials?

Other than ZDV's heavy weight in financials, it looks like a reasonably good dividend portfolio with decent holdings

#40 ·
Going to be buying XIU in my TFSA, SPY in my RRSP, VGRO in my wife's TFSA, and a BAL mutual fund in my wife's RRSP.

Posting this here now to try and commit myself to sticking to this plan... instead of just going ahead and buying a few individual stocks that lag the market like I usually do. :ROFLMAO:

#41 ·
Going to be buying XIU in my TFSA, SPY in my RRSP, VGRO in my wife's TFSA, and a BAL mutual fund in my wife's RRSP.
I would just like to advocate for your wife and suggest that instead of you making trades on her behalf, you explain to her why you think those trades are valid, let her ask questions, make her own decisions, and make the trades herself. If anything were to happen to you it's important for her to understand how to manage finances.

#45 ·
I seldom buy ETFs. I bought ZDV because I probably didn't have a better idea on that day ;) Also, at my age, I thought I should maybe start to simplify our portfolio. Like many ETFs, with ZDV you get the good with the bad. Total return for 2020 was something like -4.0% vs 5.4% for index (XIC). It was a drag on our portfolio.

#46 ·
That is because value did poorly in 2020 and especially dividend stocks. Sometimes one wins and sometime one loses. slicing and dicing the broad market.

If one picks the broad market as in XIC, you neither over perform, nor under perform, the broad market.

#47 ·
That is because value did poorly in 2020 and especially dividend stocks. Sometimes one wins and sometime one loses. slicing and dicing the broad market.
If you lump value/dividend stocks into one category, you are right. ZDV is a good example. They did poorly.

My own mainly dividend portfolio did OK. Not great, but a positive return, not -4%. Our overall portfolio totally recovered despite low interest rates on FI side and us drawing our usual annual amount for living expenses. Luckily I didn't have much in ZDV.

If one picks the broad market as in XIC, you neither over perform, nor under perform, the broad market.
Isn't that obvious???? That is why I used XIC for comparison purposes.

#51 ·
I didn't want to take this thread off topic so I posted some stuff to this other thread,

#58 ·
Back when he was on BNN with Amanda Lang, Kevin O'Leary once said - "Never buy aluminum tubes"! He was referring to Bombardiers products as well as others in similar businesses.

I never liked or agreed with him on much, but this one stuck! I think it could apply to airlines too. Seems to have turned out to be good advice.

#59 ·
Never buy aluminum tubes
I'm currently trying to decide whether or not I should buy CIA.TO as iron ore price soared, but iron ore price seems to have huge swings over the years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.