Canadian Money Forum banner

161 - 180 of 213 Posts

·
Registered
20,517 Posts
Bought more gold, CGL.C today

A nice drop in the last few months, letting me add more to my portfolio at a good price. Sure beats buying stocks at all time highs.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I have maintained a laddered bond portfolio for 20 years. I had a corporate bond mature. I did a check on the RBC inventory and wasn't excited about the minuscule yields. I used these funds to buy BAM.PR.B with a current yield of 3.6% . It is a floater and should do well if we are in a rising rate environment. I fully appreciate this is not a fixed rate investment. Extraordinary times require different choices. I bought a fair chunk of Enbridge and Pembina reset preferred last summer and they have been excellent investments. I am sure with the dividends I am over 50% for returns. I continue to hold them because the yield is over 6% and the rising interest rate sentiment is still bullish for the price.

·
Registered
17 Posts
US cannabis companies, bought more CRESCO Labs this past week. Gonna be a wild ride but if they de-criminalize or legalize federally I think there is excellent potential. Not for the faint of heart.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Bought some more SPG.WT for a short term trade. In at 0.165 last week. Looking to exit in the 0.20-0.25 range (sold some today in that range, but most to go yet).
Very low volume on this one.

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
Rolled SPY calls up and out --- from 310 Jan'22s to 350 Jan '23s. Much safer now.

Being forced to bank capital gains frequently with the constant need to roll DITM Leaps (at least once per year) kinda sucks though. Just holding stocks for years, maybe decades, is definitely a huge bonus for deferring taxes.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Opened a 1/2 position in US financial Citizens Financial Group. US banks took a bigger hit today than I expected so I am currently in the red. I expect this stock to expand from its current regional presence to other areas of the US over time.

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
I have maintained a laddered bond portfolio for 20 years. I had a corporate bond mature. I did a check on the RBC inventory and wasn't excited about the minuscule yields. I used these funds to buy BAM.PR.B with a current yield of 3.6% . It is a floater and should do well if we are in a rising rate environment. I fully appreciate this is not a fixed rate investment. Extraordinary times require different choices. I bought a fair chunk of Enbridge and Pembina reset preferred last summer and they have been excellent investments. I am sure with the dividends I am over 50% for returns. I continue to hold them because the yield is over 6% and the rising interest rate sentiment is still bullish for the price.
I had a rate reset called in wife's RRIF, so looking for a replacement. I never look at floaters, but your post prompted me to a look at BAM.PR.B .

Thought I would document it here: Trading at 12.15 to 12.30. Dividend is 70% of prime - 1.715% (0.7*2.45) for first Qtr 2021. If shares are trading at $12.30, yield is 3.49%. Since 2004, the Prime Rate has varied between a low of 2.25% in April 2009 and 6.25% in July 2007. Given that inflation target is 2%, what could we expect looking ahead say 5 years ahead? 3%, 4% ?? (2.58% predicted for year end 2022 and 4.95% in the long term). Using 4%, this pfd will yield 2.8%, That won't likely look that good to new buyers. If they want 1% over prime (as they do now), that will be ~5%. Price of shares might stay about the same? If bought now, the yield would increase from 3.49% to 5.69% as prime goes from 2.45% to 4%. Not much chance of capital gains.

So, not too exciting to me at current pricing. - a perpetual, with similar risk and current yield of ~5% might be a better buy? I am still looking!

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
Bought more T @ 25.58...
3 cents off the day's low.

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
Added 20 SU @ 25.40 to my long term position.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Started a position in CNR today @ 135.68. I have another order at $129.18 and would pick up a 3rd tranche around $120. Perhaps I overpaid( I don't think so but others may) but I have been missing adding CNR or CP to the stable since I started DIY in 2012. Not looking to make any other buys aside from CNR presently.

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
Started a position in CNR today @ 135.68. I have another order at $129.18 and would pick up a 3rd tranche around $120. Perhaps I overpaid( I don't think so but others may) but I have been missing adding CNR or CP to the stable since I started DIY in 2012. Not looking to make any other buys aside from CNR presently.
Likely a good move. I don't own either, but wish I did. Years ago, I did own CP, but must have sold it. Probably when they were having problems. CNR would suit our RRIFS, but no new cash there to buy equities.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
I believe CNR has been the absolute best TSX stock for 25 years now.

Reactions: fstamand
161 - 180 of 213 Posts