Canadian Money Forum banner

141 - 160 of 168 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
You should be shaking in your boots based on the misnamed (and misleading) Stranded Fossil Fuel asset thread.:LOL:
You would think I should have learnt by now. But sometimes I'm just a sucker for yield. Those sweet dividends get me everytime and the fact they just raised it again simply melted my heart. :D

I decided to ignore that other thread...

·
Registered
153 Posts
Bought some TRVL ETF. I think there is a tonne of pent up demand, and as airlines, hotels etc. start to report profits, the holdings of that ETF should start going up significantly.

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
Bought Algoma Central (ALC) as a value play. Also, they say shipping is in big demand at the moment. I'm hoping this can be a long-term hold.

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
Bought Algoma Central (ALC) as a value play. Also, they say shipping is in big demand at the moment. I'm hoping this can be a long-term hold.
Although these are not shipping rates for the Great Lakes, I have been watching this chart lately, which is the daily charter rates for Panamax size ships for bulk shipping in the Pacific region. The Atlantic regions looks very similar. This industry seems to be coming out of a "perfect storm" scenario. In and around 2008 there was a big boom in shipping. Every shipping company ordered a lot of new ships, increasing supply dramatically. This really killed the shipping business over the next few years. Then new environmental regulations came in forcing many companies to scrap many of their older ships since they were not worth the upgrading costs. Then Donald Trump created a trade war. Then if that was not enough, hello Covid-19.

The good news is, all of that is behind them. The old ships are gone, as are many of their competitors. New orders for new ships are at a 17 year low right now. Donald Trump is gone and so is Covid-19 for the most part.

I think we are looking at a multi-year upturn. My favorite Bulk Shipper is Safe Bulkers, SB in NYSE, because it has the lowest daily cost of running their ships at around $4,000 per day, management owns over 50% of the company and all their ships are very new and meet all the new environmental regulations.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Initiated a position in Provident Financial Services at $21.55 US to replace PBCT. PFS is the holding company for Provident Bank which is a regional bank in the US northeast (NJ and Pennsylvania).

PFS - Provident Financial Services, Inc. Key Metrics | Reuters

Rational

needed to add to US Financials and current cash position above normal IPS
Purchased in US$ RRSP account
History of dividend growth since 2003 (no cuts including the Financial Crisis)
Yield over 4% which is above its 5 year average and current inflation rate
Payout ratio below 70%
has paid special dividends in the past

Concerns

Has not increased dividend since 2019.
Negative EPS Growth

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Might start kicking the tires again on VIAC. A ridiculous near 60% drop over this week from $100 down to $40. A stock sale and some analysts saying they might not be able to execute on streaming. I sold most between 72-80. Looked stupid when it hit high 90's, but now looks like sheer brilliance. It's already bouncing back and I would expect next week would be strong green.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
I didn't get an opportunity to look at the market until end of day. I would have enjoyed participating in the Telus discount sale. As such I have placed an order for next week to see if I can add to my position.

·
Registered
4,505 Posts
The offer closes Mar 31 then the over allotment closes 30 days later so lots of time. I bought today as Telus was going for below the private placement price lol.

btw I did a 5G speed test here in Ko Olina today....8mps.. barely decent 3G speed so I dunno if its worth building anything out if thats what it is. I'll bet Canadian 5G may actually work.

·
Registered
3,966 Posts
I also added to Telus yesterday at 25.2.
Can't wait for my April 1 dividend to hopefully drip some more before it goes back to $26+

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
I also added to Telus yesterday at 25.2.
Can't wait for my April 1 dividend to hopefully drip some more before it goes back to $26+
Telus went ex-div on the 11th. You'll need to wait until July 1st to see the increase in shares show up to add more divies

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Might start kicking the tires again on VIAC. A ridiculous near 60% drop over this week from $100 down to $40. A stock sale and some analysts saying they might not be able to execute on streaming. I sold most between 72-80. Looked stupid when it hit high 90's, but now looks like sheer brilliance. It's already bouncing back and I would expect next week would be strong green.
Time to put money where my mouth is. Bought 500 at 44.89 today. P/E is under 12 at this point. Might dip lower short term, but I'm pretty sure green is more likely.

141 - 160 of 168 Posts