Canadian Money Forum banner
401 - 420 of 428 Posts

·
Registered
12,313 Posts
AQN's offering to buy Kentucky Power with a secondary offering @ $18.15 is not sitting too well with the market. However, that may be just a knee jerk reaction.

AQN's foray into Kentucky where AEP recently lost a regulatory bid to invest money to keep a plant operating to 2040 is an interesting poke into the dungeon. While Kentucky looks to be progressive in shedding its coal fired plants, the loss of mining jobs could have political consequences. Certainly that is so in West Virginia where Joe Manchin is the achilles heel in Biden's plans to retire coal plants. WV is in a time warp and I suspect politics will resist coal plants in WV from shutting down for some years to come.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
I also picked up some AQN.TO today from a long standing order in my LIRA account at 17.85. Will journal over to US$. With the purchase AQN will become my 2nd or 3rd largest equity position. I read the news last night about Kentucky Power and found it quite interested and suspected a drop in price.

I appreciate the commentary @AltaRed on the coal situation in WV. I have a colleague that calls WV home even though he works in NV and has for quite sometime. We often talk about this dying industry and its importance to their economy. He and I often comment on the cultural, political and economic parallels we share despite the distance between us. The renewable transition will definitely see major headwinds in states like WV..

·
Registered
308 Posts
What is going on with 'Shop' ?
My heart sinks when I heard the quarterly report and the US premarket down 5% this morning !
Now I just checked, the stock is up almost 7% ?
If you have a valuation that is dependent on future results - well into the future results (as opposed to cashflow today). And you publish results that are less than expected, but are forecast to be a temporary and a non-recurring set back, then your valuation doesn't change much. Because, well your valuation is all in what is going to happen in the future. The challenge of course is tomorrow will be yesterday in two days.

·
Registered
4,260 Posts
Topped up TRP (TC Energy) in my TFSA today at $60.24. Aside from an outstanding order for MMM:US. This should be the end of my purchasing for the year aside from my regular RESP purchases of VEQT.
I did this the other day but paid a little more. 60.43.

Bought some ARE today as well at 16.73

·
Registered
21,876 Posts
I like to do my rebalancing in December, so it's a bit early (and I'm waiting) but I'll be buying more bonds and GICs soon.

XBB's yield to maturity is now 2.1% and 5 year GICs also pay around 2.2%

There's no reason to buy stocks, since I'm already way above target weight on my stock allocation due to their strong performance. I might also buy some gold coins or bars in the coming months. @MarcoE

401 - 420 of 428 Posts