Canadian Money Forum banner

21 - 40 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
3,676 Posts
I am bullish on the REIT space as well. I was looking at the top options for this and the final battle was between ZRE and XRE.

What I noticed was that the fees are equal for both at 0.61%.

However ZRE has outperformed its competitor by 2.6% annualized for the past 5 years period, that's a cumulative 13%. After looking into it, guess what - the BMO one is an equal weight, which is a bit of both worlds between pure passive exposure and a little bit of active, keeping limits to different subsectors within the REIT space, which translates into its outperformance. XRE is pure passive market cap index.
At this time, retail and office space are likely underperforming. If these sectors are a large part of the index covered by XRE, then they will drag that ETF down. ZRE not so much because of the lower exposure because of it equal weight structure.

If retail and office were on an upswing, then XRE would likely perform better. With either one, like most index based etfs, you get the bad with the good. Might be better to choose a few individual REITs? But only if you really think REITs are a better choice than other options.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
At this time, retail and office space are likely underperforming. If these sectors are a large part of the index covered by XRE, then they will drag that ETF down. ZRE not so much because of the lower exposure because of it equal weight structure.

If retail and office were on an upswing, then XRE would likely perform better. With either one, like most index based etfs, you get the bad with the good. Might be better to choose a few individual REITs? But only if you really think REITs are a better choice than other options.
Like you previously mentioned, I don't have the talent to pick them myself, and also prefer to pay one commission instead of multiple (my discount broker charges 10$ a trade).

·
Registered
904 Posts
Bought FSV.TO at the beginning of the year.

Bought AHC.TO today.

·
Registered
5,361 Posts
Bought some Intel. Gunning for a turnaround.
No turnaround required IMO.
They have one of the best set of Price ratios in tech.

The new product will be very competative, and they're specifically not focusing on gaming, which will hurt their consumer visibility. I expect them to remain a bit of sleeper.

I'm interested in the new Athena/EVO laptops coming up soon.

·
Registered
18,982 Posts
The new product will be very competative, and they're specifically not focusing on gaming, which will hurt their consumer visibility. I expect them to remain a bit of sleeper.
Slightly off topic I realize, but does anyone know where I can buy an Intel NUC computer? These are mini computers which work great as either desktops or media machines.

I see some of them on Amazon as "shipped from and sold by Amazon". Any idea if these would be authentic, brand new equipment directly from Intel? I don't really trust Amazon too much due to how frequently they swap between suppliers for listed items. Not an issue for a t-shirt but a much bigger concern for sensitive equipment. I would rather buy the NUC from another retailer, if I can find one.

·
Registered
5,361 Posts
Slightly off topic I realize, but does anyone know where I can buy an Intel NUC computer? These are mini computers which work great as either desktops or media machines.

I see some of them on Amazon as "shipped from and sold by Amazon". Any idea if these would be authentic, brand new equipment directly from Intel? I don't really trust Amazon too much due to how frequently they swap between suppliers for listed items. Not an issue for a t-shirt but a much bigger concern for sensitive equipment. I would rather buy the NUC from another retailer, if I can find one.
newegg
Canadacomputers

Dell Optiplex micros (3080 series)

·
Registered
1,419 Posts

I see some of them on Amazon as "shipped from and sold by Amazon". Any idea if these would be authentic, brand new equipment directly from Intel? I don't really trust Amazon too much due to how frequently they swap between suppliers for listed items. I would rather buy the NUC from another retailer, if I can find one.
They have an amazing return policy in my opinion. Never had any issues. Just double check there isn’t a different policy for computers.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Bought some Intel. Gunning for a turnaround.
I have a couple orders in the queue for INTC at a much lower price than its current $53 range. Stink bids in for CNR, Royal Bank as well.
Have had an order on Choice Property that may hit soon as well.

·
Registered
3,676 Posts
I added to our Telus holdings today. Brings allocation in telecoms to 13%. Utilities are about same. But Financials (mainly banks) are 44%, which is too high. We have only 2.5% in REITs and 4.6% in Energy. Rest is spread through industrials, transportation (EIF) & consumer (Unilever).

Sold ZDV (bought last time I was at a loss as to what to buy) in taxable account. Need to decide to add some non-bank stocks to help diversify our equities. Maybe some consumer staples.

·
Registered
18,982 Posts
Sold ZDV (bought last time I was at a loss as to what to buy) in taxable account. Need to decide to add some non-bank stocks to help diversify our equities. Maybe some consumer staples.
Curious what you didn't like about ZDV? Was it because of what you mentioned about being too high in financials?

Other than ZDV's heavy weight in financials, it looks like a reasonably good dividend portfolio with decent holdings

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Going to be buying XIU in my TFSA, SPY in my RRSP, VGRO in my wife's TFSA, and a BAL mutual fund in my wife's RRSP.

Posting this here now to try and commit myself to sticking to this plan... instead of just going ahead and buying a few individual stocks that lag the market like I usually do. :ROFLMAO:

21 - 40 of 56 Posts