Canadian Money Forum banner
361 - 380 of 404 Posts

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
We are not talking about cheap hydro. We are talking about electrical home heating with a very low carbon footprint. Way better than burning natural gas from that viewpoint. Even on a cost basis, gas prices won't always be at their current low levels.

In Canada as a whole, about 82% of our electricity is based on hydro, nuclear or renewables. Only 8% is from natural gas.

Here in Ontario, we no longer use coal and only 3% of power generation is from natural gas.

Overall, electricity generation contributes comparatively little to carbon emissions and will be even less as the the coal fired stations still operating in some provinces are closed down.

Combustion of natural gas and other fuels in homes and in industry has a high contribution to carbon emissions. Apparently about 1/2 our homes are gas heated. Others still burn oil and wood. This needs to be corrected, and there are plans in place to do just that.
although an interesting debate most definitely off topic. perhaps a mod could move this to a new thread?

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Added to my position in Verizon Communications (VZ:US) @53.04. Could have saved over a $1 per share had I not changed my order yesterday.

·
Registered
561 Posts
although an interesting debate most definitely off topic. perhaps a mod could move this to a new thread?
I might be more appropriate as a separate topic but it is very much related to the supply/demand issues being experienced and the very high price for NG and my rational for buying NG stocks. I don't if you are a moderator .If you aren't you don't have to follow these postings.

·
Registered
29 Posts
ZEN (Graphene), presently on the VSE. At my age, approaching 7 decades fast, I do not normally speculate in whacky Mining Stocks! I stick to my knitting in the Day Trading of conservative, Blue Chip Canuck Dividend Equities

Just the Dips Ma’am.

However, my B In Law, started quacking about this thing a year ago, when it was about $0.65/. Of course, I did not get in, as he had, waiting until the $3-$4 mark. I now own about 4k shares in our 2 TFSAs.

What is it? You could find a post about it right here, from 2012, when some pumper was extolling its purported, wild upside. Let’s just say that Mgt. Team is no longer with us. 🙄 The new team, believed that they had/have discovered a number of historical, MEDICAL successes with this revolutionary substance- Graphene.

With great patience, both Mgt. & Investors awaited for Health Canada to give the thumbs up for their PPE Mask, proved 100% effective against Covid. In late September, they got it! And are now pursuing the FDA approval, as well. They intend to coat all manner of PPEs, including Gloves with this stuff. On hand, they presently have 6 metric tonnes of it. To give you an idea of how much $ they have on hand, ONE GRAM is sufficient for half a football field’s coverage.

And, they also believe they have created an instant Viral Blood test- also seeking approvals.

Here are some highlight scribbling from an investor from their recent conference:

* zenguard FULL patent soon, provisional patent now
- GLOBAL provisional patent
  • all in on Healthcare focus
  • "NO DEBT" by the firm
  • Zenguard now/aptamer soon/treatment further away
  • Treatment
  • incredible promise
  • very positive anecdotal evidence and efficacy
  • longer time frame
  • already know its incredibly safe and may have 30-40 applications
  • HVAC news coming soon, HC approval of zenguard is very important to this application
  • HC approval creates many opportunities
  • zenguard full capacity Q4 this year, 9.6billion masks per year
- there are reasons (unstated) for this capacity level
* masks are highest level, gold standard
- Level 1 medical device, level 3 surgical mask
*HC approval affects international potential alot, many other countries support HC approval (I think that's what he said...)
  • there is interest around the globe
  • theraputic testing has stared on a number of specific conditions - looking good
  • hopefully phase 1 human trials sometime next year
  • Risks (Greg's background is risk mgmt)
  • supply chain: relying on 3rd party materials
  • zen wants vertically integrate as much as possible
  • huge future opportunities, more patents being filed
  • US Mask Sales approval? need FDA approval, 510K application process, in order to Make CLAIMS about the masks, 4-6month process, well into it now, but its new and novel and often require new testing....
  • coating could be applied to an N95 mask if
  • HC approval required for aptamer covid detection, its a medical device, putting together an application, work on final tests and optimizing first, no tight/hard timelines on this as yet, HC might be around a couple of month turnaround....
In addition to multiple Patents, their application to join the big time- NASDAQ, went in yesterday.

Check it out.,

·
Registered
561 Posts
Bought Merck . Has a strong pipeline with good patent length. A good dividend. Has some interesting new products that could be cleared. A treatment for Lung non-small cancer and a antivirus covid treatment in pill form. We have a lot of older people who need prescription drugs and MRK is one of the biggest providers and a leader in developing new drugs. Also bought Salesforce . It is the leader in that segment and has an outstanding record of making great acquistions. It is the leader in providing customer service management to businesses of all sizes.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Added FFH. P/B is low. It is warranted based on past mistakes, but they seem to be clearing their mistakes, recent investments have paid off handsomely, and value of Digit seems to be discounted.
Insurance business is also improving operating metrics and is valued lower than its peers.

·
Registered
11 Posts
VIXY at $17.43
I like my holdings but earnings in general earnings haven't been impressing me. Also, companies have been coming out with caveats about future prospects- shipping bottlenecks, trouble finding employees, inflation causing consumers to spend less...
Short term insurance.

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
VIXY at $17.43
I like my holdings but earnings in general earnings haven't been impressing me. Also, companies have been coming out with caveats about future prospects- shipping bottlenecks, trouble finding employees, inflation causing consumers to spend less...
Short term insurance.
None of that really matters. There are always low spots in earning seasons and too much focus on the short term is detrimental to long term gains.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Bought some Zimmer . It hasn't't done much for the past two years . Rational for buying is the pent-up backlog for knee ,shoulder and hip replacements. They are the leader in such devices with over 33% of the market.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Amazing how much GIC rates have increased this year. I look at my ladders and I have an Equitable Bank @1.22% that I bought the first week in January. Now GIC's are over 2%.

ltr
Inflation is running at 4% plus and the interest on the GIC is fully taxable. When bonds and GICs mature I reinvest in the fixed income sector. I know it is riskier but I put into low risk utilities like Fortis or preferred shares which I believe are in the right spot given the current macro situation. Floating rate preferreds and certain resets .

361 - 380 of 404 Posts