Canadian Money Forum banner
321 - 340 of 404 Posts

·
Registered
561 Posts
I bot an initial position of BIR at 6.3445.
Although I have some energy stocks, this is my first natural gas pureplay. It's production is unhedged. I hope to buy more on pullbacks.
I'm bullish on energy. Misguided ESG policies have caused a shunning of energy stocks.
FRU SU CNQ BIR PEY TOU

Added some CNR at 147.19.
I'm surprised it's still low because of the looming proxy fight. Barry Schwartz of Baskin Wealth said he would support TCI in its fight.
I have avoided energy stocks like the plague for the past 7 years. The case for buying high quality NG producers is compelling. I have been redeploying cash into this sector. Come January I can see some outsized gains. Great mind think alike:giggle:

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
Made some buys yesterday:

SAP
RCI.B
SIA
REI.UN

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Curious as to your decision to buy SIA and REI.UN if you would be so kind to share your rationale. I do not follow the stocks but am looking to add to my real estate holdings. Why those 2? and why now?

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
Curious as to your decision to buy SIA and REI.UN if you would be so kind to share your rationale. I do not follow the stocks but am looking to add to my real estate holdings. Why those 2? and why now?
SIA - this company has had some hiccups in the past, but they are decent. Right now they are mainly suffering due to the whole covid thing and the fact that there is vacancies and not every room they have is filled. They are profitable, but they did lose money for the year 2020. But this will change. Before covid they were in the $18-19 range. They have a 6% yield. Buying around $15 is a fair price. I also own CSH.UN.

REI.UN - they are worth $25. $22 is a decent price. Once again, they are hit by covid due to stores closing and lower traffic. People make the case that retail is dead, but I do not think so. If you feel like retail is dead, you should stay away. Most of their portfolio is in malls/shopping centres and retail, but they are moving to more residential real estate to diversify. I can't see this being a bad thing in the future.

The best buy is SAP, imo.
$32? Cheap. It's gonna be $35 again.
Super safe, low volatility, low risk investment. You can buy now at $32 and probably within 6 months sell at $35 and collect a dividend or two along the way...

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
SIA - this company has had some hiccups in the past, but they are decent. Right now they are mainly suffering due to the whole covid thing and the fact that there is vacancies and not every room they have is filled. They are profitable, but they did lose money for the year 2020. But this will change. Before covid they were in the $18-19 range. They have a 6% yield. Buying around $15 is a fair price. I also own CSH.UN.

REI.UN - they are worth $25. $22 is a decent price. Once again, they are hit by covid due to stores closing and lower traffic. People make the case that retail is dead, but I do not think so. If you feel like retail is dead, you should stay away. Most of their portfolio is in malls/shopping centres and retail, but they are moving to more residential real estate to diversify. I can't see this being a bad thing in the future.

The best buy is SAP, imo.
$32? Cheap. It's gonna be $35 again.
Super safe, low volatility, low risk investment. You can buy now at $32 and probably within 6 months sell at $35 and collect a dividend or two along the way...
Thanks @KaeJS I agree that SAP is a good bargain right now. I have a decent weighting in that sector but would consider jumping in below 30. For a nice swing trade in at 32 and out at 35 makes a lot of sense. Most commercial will be switching to mixed use over time.

Cheers

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have avoided energy stocks like the plague for the past 7 years. The case for buying high quality NG producers is compelling. I have been redeploying cash into this sector. Come January I can see some outsized gains. Great mind think alike:giggle:
;) Only a few months ago I said I was done with energy stocks bc of the high volatility. But now that I've done more research I feel energy is the place to be. The main indexes are sky high, but energy is still a bargain. I think we have a huge multi year bull market in energy because of a lack of investment because of misguided ESG policies. Renewables just are not reliable. Russia has exploited this and now Europe is in big trouble going forward.
Can't take the credit for my energy picks though. I'm following my brother's recommendations who works in the energy industry and a friend who's an astute investor who is making a huge bet on energy. I also read Eric Nuttall's excellent analysis.

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
Oil will still have its place for quite a few years to come as the green energy push will take much longer to make a big impact on the oil sector.
I don't disagree but valuation metrics such as P/E, P/CF, etc. will remain subdued because of the overall belief oil is on its way out (or is at least a mature industry). Traders could (and will) make considerable money in this cyclic sector but that is just the way it is. So many on CMF were falling all over themselves to buy into the sector up to 2015 or so and then went deathly quiet, only to come awake again in 2021.

I wonder how long the current buzz will last in this 'up' cycle. Two years? Five years? Ten years? It will partially depend on just what post #327 has said in regard to the degree of global push (legislative and otherwise) that occurs. There will be hiccups along the way such as what the UK is currently experiencing with its lack of wind power in 2021, closing of coal plants and now a natural gas shortage. Move too fast and one shoots oneself in both feet.

·
Registered
3,817 Posts
We picked up more FTS and POW. Started a position in H. All purchased as long term holds.
Yeah, POW is a funny one for sure. It rolls along for so many years without advancing an inch and I was ready to abandon it, and then it's up 66% total return in the last year. And I see that Morningstar still has its fair value at $44.12 today. Go figure.

ltr

·
Registered
561 Posts
Bought Cenevous and Whitecap Resources. Based on current and expected production and the current price for oil and gas the stock valuation is extraordinarily low. I have avoided this sector for seven years . In the the last couple of weeks I have bought ARC Resources and TOU along with these two. When I look at the market all I see is stocks that are at nosebleed levels and all-time highs with many having no connection to the underlying financials. These four do not fall in that category. I guess I am going in for a short term hold as cyclicals are not the best long term holds.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Here's what I did today. It was only energy stocks.

I closed out of Freehold Royalties. I did this because it had a nice profit, but bc I recently discovered the best way to invest in energy - Eric Nuttall's ETF (NNRG). His funds destroy XEG (the energy index ETF). Why own FRU when I could own NNRG which has better performance and more diversification? So I basically I swapped out of FRU into NNRG. I might buy FRU again in the future because of the big monthly dividend (6%)

I also sold half of my Birchcliff holding. I made a nice profit in both BIR and FRU and decided to take profits and get into the safer NNRG. I think this is prudent. Nat gas stocks may keep going up amidst the European shortage. But they look overextended for now. If BIR goes down I'm happy, if it goes up I'm happy.

I also bot some Suncor. SU has run up alot the last 5 days. But I'm a bit bummed bc I've been looking at this for a while and it got away from me. Oh well, it's okay because my FRU and BIR investment caught this same move. I will keep adding to this. The dividend increase seems imminent.

Also bot some Cenovus because it's a Nuttall pick and bc it looks pretty overvalued. But NNRG is gonna be a main investment for me going forward. I'm probably not gonna outperform Eric Nuttall lol.

·
Registered
21,717 Posts
Fun to see that energy stocks are coming back into fashion again. Reminds me of the good old days. I just hope people remember how insanely cyclical that area is ... potentially huge gains, followed by huge losses when it turns down.

Look at natural gas! Was $2.30 at the start of this year, now $5.75 in a powerful uptrend. Lots and lots of fun.

Since I implicitly already get tons of resource exposure just by owning the Canadian dollar, I don't go out of my way to buy extra energy. When resources and energy are strong, all Canadians ... including those owning cash & bonds ... benefit anyway.

With my 50% in fixed income (all CAD), plus 20% gold, that's enough commodities exposure for me.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Energy stocks are indeed fun of late. Not buying now though, the best time to buy was last year. Which I did. Now is the time to sit on my hands and see how the world unfolds over the next few years.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Look at natural gas! Was $2.30 at the start of this year, now $5.75 in a powerful uptrend. Lots and lots of fun.
$5.75 here is cheap. Try $30-40 in Europe and Asia. That is $200 a barrel in oil/energy equivalency. Utilities are starting to buy oil to burn for electricity as a substitute wherever it is possible. An energy supply crisis is coming once the oil stocks start running low (they are already getting low).

By any valuation measure, energy stocks are at multi-decade lows despite 50-100%+ returns. Oil is at a 7 year high and there is no reason not to think it gets to an all time high eventually. Natural gas is already there. Energy is only 2% of the S&P 500 and was 15-20% in the 2000's.

I added CPG and ARX to my oil portfolio recently-ish, now holding SU, CNQ, ERF, CPG, and ARX.

·
Registered
21,717 Posts
james- care to share what vehicles you're using for your 50% FI?....I'm in the market...
Happy to share. I hold both GICs, in a 5 year ladder, and units of the XBB bond fund. (I hold some other government bonds too but these are the main ones).

I hold XBB in my RRSP since it's not very tax efficient.

In my non-registered account, I hold a GIC ladder in a discount brokerage account. It's very easy to buy new GICs to keep the ladder going, in a discount brokerage.

If I wanted to hold the bond ETF in a non registered account, instead of XBB, I would instead use ZDB which is a tax efficient version of the same thing.

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
Bought TXG, EIF, NWC, DBM. Just having fun trying to move into small cap value.

321 - 340 of 404 Posts