Canadian Money Forum banner

121 - 140 of 160 Posts

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
I feeling the same - I'm wondering whether the last 2 weeks of May will see a drop when banks report earnings.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I added to my SU position two weeks ago; CPX. I sold QSR - was in at $ 87 too high so took a loss and also NWC. Both of them make me nervous as it feels like momentum will fade.

To play I bought LPTH and AMD

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #123
Made a small purchase of BCE in my TFSA today at $54.78. Had an order in for BNS today as well at 49.80 that didn't get filled. BCE will likely be a long term hold. Prior to today Telus was my only Canadian telco and a much larger position.

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
Not buying any equities. But, being fully invested, don't have any cash to buy anyway! So far, dividend income has not been affected. That is what I watch - Market value of portfolio not that important.

Today, I did buy 500 BAM 4.75% perpetual preferreds. 6% cash yield, Just to replace a $10k bond that matured in RRIF.

·
Registered
3,876 Posts
I sold 1/3 Enbridge position a few days ago and put the proceeds into Fortis today. Low interest rates are like crack for these companies.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Finally got around to opening up a brokerage account thanks to COVID, been slowly picking up JETS (ETF) on its way down for the long term hope of an eventual turnaround. 🤞

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #128
1/2 position of PBCT- Peoples United Financial @ 11.35US. 28 years of dividend increases. Although its increases in recent years have only been a penny. Peoples was the only bank I found that has this track record. I had put in a bid a couple months ago and it never hit. I then refocused on Canadian equities and consolidating my TFSA,LIRA and RRSP accounts. After yesterday's 5% drop I decided to take a bite.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Bought GICs to roll over my GIC ladder. US$ at 1.2%/5y and C$ at 2.3%/5y. Bleah.
The EQBank one I bought in March comes up soon. Need to decide what thin option to choose with that. Bleah.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Markets are so high now, so hard to find opportunities. I bought Protech Home Medical Corp. recently, and was thinking of a small cap Photon Control, anyone have any opinion on this one? Saw a company overview on youtube

·
Registered
211 Posts
yeah, like the nasdaq is close to it's all time high, tsx is 15500, down only like 13%.
Yup and we just got the correction that we deserved. Unfortunately for me, as I bought stocks this Monday and now they are down 12%. That was such a bad move from me, it was obvious that the small rally on the first week of June was just a joke. My choice to buy Monday was not influenced by last week's little rally, I just had a moment of weakness where I forgot to watch for those small signs. It'll come back up, but I hate myself for buying on an instant loss.

·
Registered
3,876 Posts
Most likely you'll be in the black soon if you bought blue chips. This pull back is overdue after the steam roller run we've been on. Just let time in the market do it's thing.

·
Registered
3 Posts
No one knew, but i was waiting for a pull back, i just picked up some photon control today, i did my due diligence on it, solid company, the video above does give a good summary.

Yup and we just got the correction that we deserved. Unfortunately for me, as I bought stocks this Monday and now they are down 12%. That was such a bad move from me, it was obvious that the small rally on the first week of June was just a joke. My choice to buy Monday was not influenced by last week's little rally, I just had a moment of weakness where I forgot to watch for those small signs. It'll come back up, but I hate myself for buying on an instant loss.

·
Registered
211 Posts
No one knew, but i was waiting for a pull back, i just picked up some photon control today, i did my due diligence on it, solid company, the video above does give a good summary.
I think we knew... Look at how SP500 rallied since mid-May, then look how the daily new COVID cases increased since mid-May. Now watch what's happening in June... We knew that people were going to panic and sell when they figure out the market is recovering to pre-COVID level while we still haven't won the battle over the virus. And now that some countries are relaxing the restrictions, new cases emerge. People start to panic even if we don't even know if it's truly due to new cases or more tests. We should still be at mid-May level, before that fake rally, so I hate myself for having bought more at the beginning of June, worst mistake so far this year. I'm glad my investments this year are still 15% up so far, but I'm very pissed I added in June and lost 15% instantly on that money, otherwise I'd be up 20%.

·
Registered
3,876 Posts
If you are worrying about your stock being up or down week to week I would say you're buying the wrong companies.

·
Registered
211 Posts
If you are worrying about your stock being up or down week to week I would say you're buying the wrong companies.
Well, I don't think I'm buying the wrong companies, I'm worried of playing this roller-coaster situation the right way. Take BMO.TO for example. Since the crash in March, it was then playing in the low 70s for 3 months, though some people may have bought at 75 at local maximums while others may have bought at low 60s at the local minimum. Even when planning on holding long, let's say 10 years, the entry point is important when the price is riding a roller-coaster if you're trying to take a big position. Imagine selling in 10 years at 200$ if bought at 75$, that's +165% return (10.3% yearly average), while selling at 200$ if bought at 60$, that's +233% (12.8% yearly average). Moreover, buying at 75$ is 5.6% yield on cost, while buying at 60$ is 7% yield on cost. Therefore, without trying to time the market, you still don't want to do stupid moves like buying over the trend price instead of buying under the trend price. Also, even if you plan on holding for long, if you bought at 75$ and at some point this autumn it starts smelling another crash, you don't have a big margin to sell at profit, while if you bought at 60$, you have more margin to take that money out before a potential second crash (while this is not an advice as BMO.TO will keep paying dividends).

121 - 140 of 160 Posts