Canadian Money Forum banner

81 - 100 of 129 Posts

·
Registered
16,346 Posts
I'm still not buying anything. Increased my cash reserve policy due to the potential for extended unemployment in a recession/depression. So I'm not buying or selling anything these days.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I'm still not buying anything. Increased my cash reserve policy due to the potential for extended unemployment in a recession/depression. So I'm not buying or selling anything these days.
Same here. Can't believe the markets have been on a roll since March 23, up a good 25% from the bottom yet the long term news continues to look grimmer and grimmer each day. Where is the logic?

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Same here. Can't believe the markets have been on a roll since March 23, up a good 25% from the bottom yet the long term news continues to look grimmer and grimmer each day. Where is the logic?
The market is looking 3-6 months down the road. The projections continue to get better, at least for the US. People can see the end, at least in N America. Politicians are being honest about the duration of lockdowns and potential deaths. That adds certainty, which is what the market likes, even if they're bad numbers.
The S&P has about 7% to go to cross back above the 200 DMA. TSX has about 13% to go yet.

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
I have bought several 1 & 2 yr GICs as well as short term corporate bonds maturing in 4 & 8 months. Tried to buy more perpetual pfds, but volume is thin and prices up along with markets in general. Not buying equities although pfds I have bid on are no doubt equity-like.

·
Registered
187 Posts
The market is looking 3-6 months down the road. The projections continue to get better, at least for the US. People can see the end, at least in N America. Politicians are being honest about the duration of lockdowns and potential deaths. That adds certainty, which is what the market likes, even if they're bad numbers.
The S&P has about 7% to go to cross back above the 200 DMA. TSX has about 13% to go yet.
I realize markets are forward looking but even the next 8 months looks grime. Everybody can't suddenly go back to work anytime in the near future and life goes on as before. As soon as people start getting back in close proximity up goes the infections again. Maybe a vaccine will be available but thats a good year out. Time will tell!

·
Registered
866 Posts
Bought TD, T, PPL, FTS, CNR, CSH.UN and CAR.UN. Everything was averaged down with the exception of FTS.

TBD902 and TBD911 moving forward to get everything back into balance with a 30/30/30/10 split in assets.

·
Registered
30 Posts
have you looked at BIPC Instead of BIP.UN? Offers the dividend tax credit and less complicated tax reporting for non-reg accounts
Yes, I hold BIP.UN in my RRSP though so it's fine. If I were to buy more in non-reg I would probably take a look at BIPC though for those reasons!

·
Registered
10,050 Posts
I realize markets are forward looking but even the next 8 months looks grime. Everybody can't suddenly go back to work anytime in the near future and life goes on as before. As soon as people start getting back in close proximity up goes the infections again. Maybe a vaccine will be available but thats a good year out. Time will tell!
I am of the view investors don't yet understand this will be a long recovery and there will be productivity headwinds for a long time. There will be another 1-2 crashes of some substance over the course of this year, especially when quarterly results and GDP data come out. Continuing outbursts (waves) of covid-19 infections will occur, social distancing will NOT permit businesses to be as efficient (productive) as they were pre-crisis (think manufacturing lines, amazon warehouses), and some retrenchment from globalization will also decrease productivity. It is a long road ahead even if the bulk of the recently unemployed are back at work by late June, or mid-summer. A portion of the economy associated with large gatherings will NOT be functional until well into 2021. Includes entertainment, cultural events, and many sports. Not a large part of the economy, but enough to create some headwinds.

·
Registered
210 Posts
On Apr 14 sold 1/3 of Shopify at 672
Today Apr 17 sold 1/3 od Shopify at 794 - closing was 831.52.
This thing is insane. Will sell the remaining 1/3 around 900 if it goes there.
Reminds me of JDS at the fiber craze of 2000.

·
Registered
3,618 Posts
March 1 I bought in my RRSP AT&T AAPL MSFT .T is down 12% AAPL basically even and MSFT IS UP 9.55% .In non registered I added significantly to AMZN when it got to $2065 as I didnt want to miss the boat again.Before March 1 Amazon was 22% of my entire portfolio now it is 28.47%. I have been DCA Amzn every month .

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Bought $25K of XBAL, one more tranche to do.

Bought more TECK.B to complete purchase. More DIS to finish that one out as well.

81 - 100 of 129 Posts