Canadian Money Forum banner

61 - 72 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,610 Posts
I bought a short term GIC -- moved most of my EQBank cash into their 2.45% 3-month GIC. Will revisit in June when I am managing my Oaken GIC ladder.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
52 Posts
This morning sold 161,000 US dollars worth of SPX puts. Maybe jumped the gun selling them though lived to play another day
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
I decided today was a good time to consolidate my position in Telus by selling the shares held in my RRSP and rebuying to add to the position in my TFSA. Fees aside I made a difference of a penny per share on the trade. The purpose of the move was primarily housekeeping but also to free up Cash and room in my RRSP for US equities. The problem I now face is the huge spread in currency exchange. Now is likely not a good time to use C$ for US equities.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20 Posts
I was thinking the same thing re: the spread. I want to buy some BRK-B and IVV in my RRSP but have to convert $CAD to $USD first. Will use Norbert's Gambit to convert the currency. I think the buying opportunities in some of the US stocks outweigh the spread though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,838 Posts
You really want to buy BRK.B which is heavily reliant on an 89 year old and his 96 year old partner (Munger) in the middle of an outbreak which disproportionately kills people over 80?

I sold my BRK.B shares in February. I had bought them in 2007. It's a great company and has a solid future, but there is going to be some real turmoil if one of those key people dies.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
912 Posts
I am going to wait another maybe 2 months. Markest seem to still be drifting lower though w smaller moves. Larry Berman said to wait until the VIX falls below 40. Another adviser said when the P/Bv is ~ 2 for the S&P we are at the bottom of the recession ( referring to the 2008 crash) .

Will look at those and the situation w the virus and general recovery. It is reassuring to see places like China and S Korea have wrestled it under control. China is 70% back.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
I am going to wait another maybe 2 months. Markest seem to still be drifting lower though w smaller moves. Larry Berman said to wait until the VIX falls below 40. Another adviser said when the P/Bv is ~ 2 for the S&P we are at the bottom of the recession ( referring to the 2008 crash) .

Will look at those and the situation w the virus and general recovery. It is reassuring to see places like China and S Korea have wrestled it under control. China is 70% back.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
I continued with more portfolio consolidation today by selling all my BMO shares at 57.88 in my RRSP and buying back in the TFSA at 57.84. I did increase this position by a 1/3rd as well. I understand that I could be doing better on the sale and buybacks if I was willing to wait closed a 56.24. The decision to make these changes is more about tax planning upon retirement than it is about the trade. In fact it is just luck that I have been buying at a slightly lower share price. I certainly could profit by selling on Monday and buying later in the week, but working more than full time hours these days does not give me an opportunity to watch the market in that manner. I am a bit worried that my TFSA will become heavily waited in Canadian banks. Am waiting to pull the trigger on some RRs at some point CP or CNR in TFSA and a US RR in RRSP. In reality no real significant buying has taken place for me yet.
 
61 - 72 of 72 Posts
Top