Canadian Money Forum banner

41 - 60 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
well, I don't mean to sound cynical or cyclical... just not buying the made-in-china cell phone stock( partly because it's not possible and also for security reasons) Here are, respectively, articles that are 6&1 (days) young
[url]https://business.financialpost.com/technology/military-wants-huawei-banned-from-5g-in-canada-report[/URL]
https://www.theguardian.pe.ca/business/reuters/britain-to-look-to-allies-to-find-5g-alternatives-to-huawei-minister-407080/
This one was released two hours ago
https://www.wsj.com/articles/u-s-officials-say-huawei-can-covertly-access-telecom-networks-11581452256

What I am looking into though, and found while researching on alternatives to this commie conglomerate
https://www.airgain.com/about/ AIRG is the ticker
The stock is decently priced was worth thrice its actual price a few years back. Interesting purchase

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
Have been buying ETC, ETHE, GBTC since around Jan 7th they are all crypto ETNs. Based solely on price pattern. Price action in bitcoin seams to have formed a parabol & based on a dominate cycle hard to believe looks like Bitcoin will be @ 150,000 in April of 2030

·
Registered
2,872 Posts
As a defensive move vs possible recession, have added to split pfds using cash from sale of some of ipl and others where I took some profit.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #49 (Edited)
Topped up my position in TD bank @ $71.25 In my TFSA. TD is now my second largest holding. Last year at this time I didn't hold any TD. May be a bit soon to the party but cash was growing and I was able to buy at a lower price than my initial buy. Hope to initiate a position in either CP or CN if the slide continues.

added. Price may have been down today but they also just announced a dividend increase. Will have to review the quarterly statement but I am confident today's price move was market wide.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
added to MFC, CNR and REI.UN
also added to XIC and ZAG in the RRSP
all scheduled cash deployments

·
Registered
15,838 Posts
Recently bought a 5 year GIC @ 1.90% but that's it. Reviewed my plans and cannot justify buying anything else; maybe if stocks fall more I will.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Recently bought a 5 year GIC @ 1.90% but that's it.
I have a US$ GIC at Tangerine coming up. They still pay 2.10% and if that is still on offer when the old one matures, I will go back in for sure.

Reviewed my plans and cannot justify buying anything else; maybe if stocks fall more I will.
I thought we didn't like timing the market. I've been frightened about executing scheduled buys as the market had been inexorably inflating. The current drawback has me feeling slightly better about executing the buys on schedule.

·
Registered
15,838 Posts
When I have new cash to invest, I've got to invest it somewhere. It's not market timing to figure out where it should be deployed according to existing plans. By cannot justify buying, I meant that my asset allocation dictated that I may not buy stocks. It's a robotic plan.

Market timing would be keeping the cash on the sidelines, deliberately waiting for an "opportunity". Or making a judgement call based on how I feel. I didn't do either of those things.

Tangerine rates are showing 5 year @ 2.20% which is very competitive, certainly better than what I can find through my brokerage.

·
Registered
15,838 Posts
I thought we didn't like timing the market. I've been frightened about executing scheduled buys as the market had been inexorably inflating. The current drawback has me feeling slightly better about executing the buys on schedule.
I can't edit posts. Regarding buying later "maybe if stocks fall more", the buying would occur under two circumstances:

(1) if we get to year end and it's time for my annual rebalancing, or
(2) if I have new cash to invest and my asset allocation says I'm underweight stocks

In other words, "buy low" would be automatically achieved through robotic asset allocation. Currently I am not underweight stocks, so there is simply no justification to buy stocks.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
took a nibble at BNS today at 50.29. Will look at RY next week. No clue where the bottom is with the current situation but I know the price I paid today is somewhat less than what it was in 2019.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
End of day Friday that did look like a brilliant move but only time will tell. It wasn't a substantial amount (about 1.25% of equity portfolio). I am sure things could continue to bounce around for awhile so I am not breaking out the champagne yet. I also am trying to balance the emotional desire to deploy all my cash with the other emotional desire to wait till there is a bottom. I have no clue if/when we will see the bottom I just know I have cash ready to deploy. In times like this people seem to let emotion over ride their decision making. I am trying to grab a few(quality) falling knives. Looks like Monday will see more excitement. Comfort level with the current market action should be dependent on what stage of life (accumulation vs. withdrawal) one is in or approaching. Times like this test everybody's willpower and self control.

41 - 60 of 72 Posts