Canadian Money Forum banner

21 - 40 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Added to TRP, SU, IPL. TRP seems over-bought, but I am underweight on pipelines, so I added some anyway. I have not added SU since before the COS swap.

·
Registered
15,838 Posts
Bought a 3 year Concentra GIC at 2.23% mainly to fill a hole in my ladder. But I also think this is an attractive rate, as bond market yields are rapidly falling and I suspect GIC (and cash) rates will decline as well, soon.

·
Registered
62 Posts

·
Registered
9,930 Posts
Many of us won't go chasing rates. Been there, done that. We make decisions to give up some yield to concentrate our accounts to 1-2 financial institutions.

·
Registered
15,838 Posts
There's also likely some HISA with higher rates... why lock it in?
You're asking why I didn't just go to a higher interest rate HISA instead of buying this 3 year GIC?

The answer is that the GIC purchase was to fill in the "fixed income" part of my asset allocation. I had to buy bonds/GICs, part of the asset allocation methodology. Cash is not bonds/GICs.

In particular, I have a GIC ladder that has to stay filled in, so that a GIC matures every 6 months or so. No matter how low, or how high, interest rates are, I will buy GICs to keep this ladder filled in.

The reason I don't strategically jump between HISA and GICs/bonds is that this is "timing the bond market". It is generally very difficult to do successfully over the long term because you never know what the future might bring.

Passive investing techniques like 'couch potato' and simple asset allocation are all based on the idea that you're better off not trying to time, or outguess the market. And you must stick to your asset allocation targets. This actually makes investing much easier as well. You stop second guessing every single action.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Ohh how much money have I pissed away on Ford stock... we'll never know.. Welcome to the club :nevreness:
I don't know what it is about this stock but I have bought it a few times in the past too. I usually make a bit on it but always think it will do well at some point ? I'm not even a big fan of their vehicles, although I do have an old Mustang restoration in slow progress. Last time I got it at 9.60, this time 9.16. I guess I'll collect the 0.15 dividend next week and see where it goes from there.

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
Added a bit more to a growing position in Gildan Active Wear ....great company but I admit they should do a bit better as they use only US cotton, spin their yarn in the USA, make the textiles in the Dominican & Honduras, they dont do the sweat shop thing or use China.

They are a Quebec headquartered firm so should benefit from treatment like SNC & Bombardier if required.

I wear their t shirts and like them...I think in today's emphasis on ethical employers Gildan is doing a better job than Apple and others exploiting China and their rewarding the abuse of human rights etc.. (Plus I think I will make out like a bandit long term).

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Did buy
1000 shares of BPY.UN
800 shares of TD
1400 Shares of CAR.UN
500 shares of ENB , TRP and IPL
500 shares of VET and WCP
2000 shares of SPB and AQN

I did start to sell some of my winners at end of year just to take some profits,so when the bad news virus was here for a couple of down days i started to buy,2019 was a very good year for dividend stock and looks like another good year at hand,,,will still add to TD and BNS going forward

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Added to BPY-UN and NVU-UN. I still have a ways to go to get to my intended allocation of REITs. Next to add down the line will be REI-UN, I think.

21 - 40 of 72 Posts