Canadian Money Forum banner

261 - 274 of 274 Posts

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
Why don't you buy REIT ETF such ZRE or XRE?
I'm a bit selective on which REIT I want to be partners with. I only own Choice and now RioCan.I have a couple others I like but it the most important thing in this sector is what I don't buy imo.

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
So I should buy high? I feel the dividend is telling me that either RioCan is a crummy,at risk company...or it is out of favour and under valued due to the Covid crisis and online shopping?

·
Registered
616 Posts
I wasn't planning on buying anything more this year, but I ended up buying a bit of REAL.TO today. I plan to do other purchases tomorrow maybe. Then I'll be done for the year.

I should've waited a bit more as it may continue to drop, but I want to hold it long so I'm ok with that.
Interesting. I bought near a local bottom but today they had great earnings report but dropped -15% right away.

What's interesting is that I watch how my portfolio of 17 stocks and 1 ETF (all TSX) is reacting to the current swings of the market during these times of high volatility. I'm trying to beat NASDAQ while having only TSX stocks (so far) and less tech exposure. I obviously don't think I'll beat NASDAQ long term, but who knows...

7 months later, I'm following NASDAQ quite well, but that's the beginner's luck because the market has been pretty bullish after the crash.

In the last couple of days, I'm on a strike beating NASDAQ every day. Now I have this REAL holding (mid-size in my portfolio) that dropped -15% but my portfolio is currently up +0.16% while NASDAQ is up +0.15%.

That's why I don't want to hold big indices or too many stocks, it's useless. Just pick enough in a pool of winners and even a sudden loser won't effect that much the overall portfolio.

Anyways, I plan to add some small ETF for global diversification like DXG holding only about 25 stocks diversified in every sector worldwide and performing awesomely. My style is stock-picking and ETF-picking. Other strategies aren't bad, they are just adapted to other investment styles which fits the personality of the investor.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Speaking of REITs, after being cashed out of NVU, I took the money and bought ZRE. I never intended to use a REIT ETF, but I have been stumped what to buy in the sector. I still own BPY, AX, HR, REI, FCR but as of today, ZRE is 25% of my REIT allocation.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
I own both ZRE and REI.UN.
The REI.UN chart tells the story - not a pretty picture. I've been reading their press releases. the CEO is retiring and being replaced, but that won't make the virus disappear! Last I read was that they were receiving more overdue rent payments (I thought I saw 90% recovery?). That said, I think I saw news that announced rent freezes for the next 8-12 months - which could also put a lid on returns from REIT's - at least those that invest in apartment buildings.
ZRE has been very good and reliable - so much so that I am considering moving $ from a GIC ladder and buying more in Feb 2021. GIC ladder

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
I agree with the horrible chart...Rio Can was flat lining long before Covid. Yet like beaten down pipeline stocks Rio Can value will be not the empty Reitman stores failing to pay rent, but the prime real estate locations they own. Will be a long road for them to redevelop . Price/book is 30% below long term average.

Man...I think I've talked my self into buying more.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I'm an indexer, but I recently bought some Mawer global small cap fund. The fund has a MER of 1.73%, but the fund has been straight fire for several yeasr and I've read recently that small caps have lots of room for growth. The MER isnt as important as consistent above average returns, so we'll see how it works out.
Definitely a quality fund with a great track record.

·
Registered
18,298 Posts
I own both ZRE and REI.UN.
The REI.UN chart tells the story - not a pretty picture. I've been reading their press releases.
Thought I'd take a look since it came up. I'll put on my technical analysis hat.

This multi-year chart does not actually look too bad to me. It was fine before COVID. And yes, it dropped sharply, but this was an external and unforeseeable shock. Since then, REI.UN has actually rallied back above its 200 day moving average.

The 55% drawdown is rather severe, worse than the broad stock market, but this was one of the unlucky sectors which was hit hard due to the nature of this particular disaster.

Not a great chart by any means, but it also doesn't have the multi-year pattern of declines which is typical of companies which are "toast".

·
Registered
10,719 Posts
I've been a long term holder of REI.UN. Not the best investment I've owned but they have clearly up'd their game with shedding assets in secondary markets and starting the re-development of their prime locations into multi-use projects, e.g. condos/commercial. Huge parking lots which can be reclaimed into multi-family housing. It simply takes years to plan, re-zone and re-build, funding disproportionately more of it with retained earnings than strictly debt or yet another share offering. I think it will be a long term winner but it is a multi-year journey.

Clearly I will hold, simply because I firmly believe it is substantially under-valued at this point.

·
Registered
3 Posts
This is a nice max timeline graph, but if I had put my money in something like ZRE in early June (after the general market rebound) when I invested in a bunch of REITs, I would be much poorer.

Went heavy on HR Reit (up 42% currently), REI I got in October (up ~20%), and I got into MRT.un recently which is up 25% in 2 weeks. Hot.un also went up 40% in a few weeks (my stop order ditched that yesterday down a few %)
My ZRE is up 19% since roughly early June (respectable, but worse than all of the banks I got in May as well...)

The above is just anecdotal, but I have found that index funds, reit etfs, etc, have had much lower gains since May or June's general rebound. Lost opportunities with the vaccine hype and rebound.

I have since reduced or eliminated some of the reit positions since I think they're mostly "caught up" and are not really things I would typically hold long-term.

261 - 274 of 274 Posts