Canadian Money Forum banner

241 - 260 of 274 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Added to my GH position. Even with the covid closures they are still turning a profit and will likely soar once all this is behind us.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Another 500 TRP ...yielding over 6% after this sell off. My 1st buy of TRP since 2010.
Wow. You're inspiring me Eder. I first put my stake in the ground with TRP around that time too...and have not added much since.
Obviously, you see a good days ahead for TRP.

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
Just buying on a pull back...imo TRP has a long road of expansion in front of it & the muscle to make it happen. There's more to their story than oil & KXL and I'll enjoy the yield & dividend increases along the way. They are a good way to diversify out of Canada without giving up the dividend tax credit or the dangers of forex drift.

Wow...I think I convinced myself to buy more lol.

·
Registered
3,293 Posts
Just buying on a pull back...imo TRP has a long road of expansion in front of it & the muscle to make it happen. There's more to their story than oil & KXL and I'll enjoy the yield & dividend increases along the way. They are a good way to diversify out of Canada without giving up the dividend tax credit or the dangers of forex drift.

Wow...I think I convinced myself to buy more lol.
I wonder if ENB maybe had more upside than TRP?

ltr

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
I wonder if ENB maybe had more upside than TRP?
Perhaps.
Waiting for ENB to improve is like waiting for the next earthquake. Seems to never happen, and despite the odd surge of activity, seems to fizzle. It just does not seem to be a sustainable dividend - they took on too much debt.
I wish they'd do the right thing and cut the dividend and right size their finances. I'm OK with the expected drop. I used to think buying in the mid-30's was a real coup - now I just yawn.

·
Registered
3,409 Posts
Perhaps.
Waiting for ENB to improve is like waiting for the next earthquake. Seems to never happen, and despite the odd surge of activity, seems to fizzle. It just does not seem to be a sustainable dividend - they took on too much debt.
I wish they'd do the right thing and cut the dividend and right size their finances. I'm OK with the expected drop. I used to think buying in the mid-30's was a real coup - now I just yawn.
If I have to wait for improvement, it is always nice to have a 6% to 8% dividend while I am waiting. Makes the time go by a little better.

·
Registered
3,409 Posts
These are great bargains but for myself I have enough investments related to energy. It makes up maybe 7% of my portfolio and all are helpers in the energy game as opposed to producers. Names like ENB, PPL, IPL, KEY and a small position in PSD.

That said, it is news like this that keeps me from loading up more no matter how much of a bargain these stocks begin to exhibit.

No more gas driven cars in the UK after 2030. That is only 10 years from now. Will other countries do the same? It seems to be the writing on the wall.

·
Registered
3,293 Posts
No more gas driven cars in the UK after 2030. That is only 10 years from now. Will other countries do the same? It seems to be the writing on the wall.
Yeah, I just read this morning that the sale of new gasoline-powered vehicles will be banned in Quebec from 2035, reveals Environment Minister Benoit Charette in an interview with The Press. That only 15 years...

But, that's still lots of time to make money on pipelines I would think. After that 15 years, there will still be another 10 years of used cars, and the ban isn't on transport trucks either. That's a lot of years with a stock like Enbridge with its 8.7% dividend to fill your pockets. I see some decent upside available on the share price and it seems that Line 5 problem will probably go away.

ltr

·
Registered
10,719 Posts
I commented in the Energy Sector thread on these issues. Worthy of a look there especially references to the BP link on their three scenarios as regards oil specifically. The biggest risk to me is the completion of KXL for stranded capacity somewhere not too far down the road, certainly before the end of 20 firm shipping contracts.

·
Registered
3,293 Posts
I commented in the Energy Sector thread on these issues. Worthy of a look there especially references to the BP link on their three scenarios as regards oil specifically.
Alta, you know a heck of a lot more about this than I ever will, but I've seen analysis like that before and it all seems to hinge on renewable wind and solar providing consistent reliable power in the future. The graphs in the article just show it ramping up and up and up.

As far as I can see today, these renewables still require fast ramp up complementary generation sources like natural gas to take their place since there's no real solution to that much power storage available - yet. That's the unknown variable.

I have no doubt renewables can increase their percentage of our grid, overcoming headwinds like high initial capital costs, siting and land availability, transmission infrastructure changes to multiple sites rather than the centralized system we have now, and of course the push back from the conventional oil industry "old boys". All that can be overcome in time, but we still don't know how to store that much power yet. Am I wrong?

ltr

·
Registered
10,719 Posts
There are a lot of headwinds to cost efficient renewable power, particularly storage for the unpredictability of wind and solar and the costs of distribution. but the cost of generation itself has come down dramatically. We also must look beyond our borders to the rest of the world in terms of how they will move people around. Much has been mentioned about how the developing world will be hungry for energy as they desire a western style standard of living, but that may be more oriented to industrial and heating/AC use and oil is not used for that anyway. Land use transportation is the big component of oil demand, and like the skipping of land lines in telephone, they might mostly skip use of personal vehicles too. It's happening already in our society with Gen-Zers as an example.

My view is it won't be as optimistic as BP's Rapid Transition scenario but it won't be Business As Usual. Global demand for oil will go down.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Just bought a micro cap (or should I say a nano cap?) just for fun and to see where it goes. RIWI

·
Registered
616 Posts
It might go up and it might go down.

ltr
It might end as a penny stock at 0.05$.

But it's not all speculative. I'm wondering how it'll go considering it has nearly no debt, it's currently profitable, its P/S and P/B are decent, its P/E is a bit high but nothing to worry considering the context, its RoE is great, its profit margin and operating margin are good. Insiders hold 50%. I'm also pretty interested by their tech.

It's a very small company, but I'm interested to see if these fundamentals (which I believe are good - as a beginner in stock-picking) combined with that kind of industry can be a good bet for me as an investor.

·
Registered
3,293 Posts
It might end as a penny stock at 0.05$........it has nearly no debt, it's currently profitable, its P/S and P/B are decent, its P/E is a bit high but nothing to worry considering the context, its RoE is great, its profit margin and operating margin are good. Insiders hold 50%.
Yeah, this is pure gambling and the smart money says with respect to this type of investment don't spend much time on all the wonderful stats you've offered. There will be no institutional uptake on a stock like that, so it's all speculators betting against speculators.

ltr

·
Registered
616 Posts
Yeah, this is pure gambling and the smart money says with respect to this type of investment don't spend much time on all the wonderful stats you've offered. There will be no institutional uptake on a stock like that, so it's all speculators betting against speculators.

ltr
It's a try. This year, I've bought 3 stocks when they were a market cap around $300M and I managed a +26%, +57% and +265%. (I'm not counting those who crashed down to a market cap that low, only those who were growing. For instance, I'm not counting SCL which is down to a market cap around $200M at the moment, but once was a billion-dollar cap [yet I'm up +59% on that one])

But then I must admit a gave a try to a penny stock (<1$) with a market cap around $200M and I'm currently losing -27% on that one, but we all know the ups and downs of those stocks are amplified. Though I didn't dump it because I believe it has a future, otherwise I wouldn't have bought it. It's the kind of stock I could hold for years unless my sentiment changes based on news or fundamentals.

So now I decided I wouldn't go below 2$ stocks but I had to give a try to a $50M market cap. Honestly, I don't put too much hope on it.

So far, my best picks have a market cap below $2B but above $300M. My worst performers have a market cap over $5B.

But all that is just based on my picks for this year only during the COVID crash, so it's all biased by my buying the dip for some and by the bullish sentiment for others.

We'll see, I'll update my thread about my portfolio around the end of the year. You'll witness my good and bad moves as a beginner.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I'm an indexer, but I recently bought some Mawer global small cap fund. The fund has a MER of 1.73%, but the fund has been straight fire for several yeasr and I've read recently that small caps have lots of room for growth. The MER isnt as important as consistent above average returns, so we'll see how it works out.

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
I added RioCan to my RRSP today....haven't owned it since 2016. Its part of my plan to not buy any GIC's under 2% yield , instead I will use REIT's. I have more GIC's maturing soon and hope the REIT sector doesn't bounce too much before then.

·
Registered
859 Posts
I added RioCan to my RRSP today....haven't owned it since 2016. Its part of my plan to not buy any GIC's under 2% yield , instead I will use REIT's. I have more GIC's maturing soon and hope the REIT sector doesn't bounce too much before then.
Why don't you buy REIT ETF such ZRE or XRE?

241 - 260 of 274 Posts