Canadian Money Forum banner

201 - 220 of 303 Posts

·
Registered
919 Posts
I wasn't planning on buying anything more this year, but I ended up buying a bit of REAL.TO today. I plan to do other purchases tomorrow maybe. Then I'll be done for the year.

I should've waited a bit more as it may continue to drop, but I want to hold it long so I'm ok with that.

·
Registered
10,899 Posts
Will add some CPX as a new holding to my account.
Rationale? I used to own CU but got tired of slow (or no) growth in AB's power consumption and soft electrical prices. CPX is in the same market.

I've shied away from CPX, also due to their credit rating (BBB-/BBB(low)) which is barely investment grade.

·
Registered
3,701 Posts
Rationale? I used to own CU but got tired of slow (or no) growth in AB's power consumption and soft electrical prices. CPX is in the same market.

I've shied away from CPX, also due to their credit rating (BBB-/BBB(low)) which is barely investment grade.
I recently had a look at CPX , but mainly because one of their bonds I own was just called and they have a Min Reset pfd that looked of interest.

First thing I noticed, was that their operations are quite widespread - they are not just in Alberta. 28 operating facilities of which 8 are in Alberta (2 wind, 1 small landfill gas). 10 are in USA and of those 5 are wind and 1 solar. Total nameplate generating capacity is just 6491MW. Pretty small operator it seems - 17.5% of Ontario's installed capacity and with 10 of 28 wind or solar, actual output likely quite low.

I have owned CU for some time. I also own one of their perp pfds. The pfd has actually done better! Both pay about 5% dividend. The 5yr chart for CU looks like the Rocky Mts. Long term, no capital growth, so might as well have just owned the pfd which except for the brief covid drop has been relatively stable for long period.

So, should I buy CPX.PR.G??? Probably won't because trading seems to be pretty thin.

·
Registered
10,899 Posts
I recently had a look at CPX , but mainly because one of their bonds I own was just called and they have a Min Reset pfd that looked of interest.

First thing I noticed, was that their operations are quite widespread - they are not just in Alberta. 28 operating facilities of which 8 are in Alberta (2 wind, 1 small landfill gas). 10 are in USA and of those 5 are wind and 1 solar. Total nameplate generating capacity is just 6491MW. Pretty small operator it seems - 17.5% of Ontario's installed capacity and with 10 of 28 wind or solar, actual output likely quite low.
Okay, I should have said a significant part of their assets are in AB (like CU). I need to add more context to my comments.

That all said. I don't like their credit rating to buy the commons albeit most of their income is regulated and has some certainty. I do hold one of their bonds because of the regulated income.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Nice trade! If you bought in the morning, you're now up 5%, maybe more. Time to sell perhaps?
Thanks James

This post is more intended for Elliott wave traders. If you do not understand Elliott wave you probably will not have a clue what I am talking about.

Not sure if still the case Bob Prechter set the all time record in the US trading championships option division using Elliott wave with over half the winners since using Elliott wave.
Instead of using options I used a triple leveraged ETF so I did not have to worry about time decay. I used the Nasdaq 100 because the price pattern was clearer for the set up.

Using the 15 minute chart. The price action in the Nasdaq 100 from the all time high going into the 10677 low using Elliott wave the price pattern looks like a completed correction. The rally from the 10677 low going into the 11207 looked text book 5 waves up. Then we had a 3 wave decline into yesterdays low. The price action off of yesterdays low completed 5 up followed by am abc decline. A break of yesterdays highs of the completed initial 5 up from yesterdays low I am counting as wave 1 of a 3rd wave up off of the 10677 low was the signal to go long with a stop @ the bottom of wave 2 which was yesterdays low.

The price pattern in the market is fractal meaning smaller patterns with in larger patterns. To go long the larger price pattern sometimes it is best to use a smaller price pattern to go long the larger price pattern.

One way to play Elliott is after initial 5 waves up & an abc correction of the initial 5 up is complete is to go long on a move that goes 1 tick above the initial 5 waves up placing a stop @ the bottom of the abc correction. It increases the odds of being right then going long @ the bottom of the abc. For a down market just do the opposite

Though if using options especially in a down market best to buy the option @ the end of the abc correction then using a move back above the initial 5 wave movement.

·
Registered
3,701 Posts
Okay, I should have said a significant part of their assets are in AB (like CU). I need to add more context to my comments.
I wasn't checking up on you - just doing some due diligence ;)

I had always assumed that CPX was an Alberta utility. I guess it is, but as posted, found that it has quite a number of operations elsewhere. May make it less vulnerable to Alberta's economy. But I didn't buy their preferred anyway :)

Had previously thought CU was mainly Alberta, but a while back found that they too have operations in Mexico, Puerto Rico, Australia, Canada's North as well as Alberta. Also saw that they sold off quite a number of partly or fully owned natural gas-fired and coal-fired electricity generation assets located in Alberta, British Columbia, Sask and Ontario . Seems they are transitioning to a different type of company. To Quote their CEO: "Going forward, as part of ATCO, we will continue our focus on building a global portfolio of premier utility and long-term contracted energy infrastructure assets, and on reliably delivering operational excellence and exceptional customer service.”

I will continue to hold CU and see how things go.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Just put on a position trade Marathon patent group & Riot crypto mining companies purchased 100 shares of each total value of both trades under 500 dollars. High risk reward on this trade traded small

·
Registered
625 Posts
JKS closed up 9.49% today looking to sell mid Feb 2021, CCJ looking to sell Jan 2 or June 2 2021, GDLC looking to sell June 2021 all based on seasonal & price pattern

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #215
Made a purchase of VEQT at 29.10 today in my son's RESP. Will deploy additional funds each month on a go forward basis. Will not be posting future buys as this is an automatic event moving forward. No commission aside from a few pennies for ECN through Questrade.

·
Registered
3,701 Posts
As corporate bonds mature or are called, I keep looking for places to re-invest. Should be fixed income or at least alternatives with equal or lower risk that provide cash flow. Not many choices. Not going to GICs or bonds at current yields. Leaves preferreds and common stock.

I had about $22k to re-invest - Chose to put half in Power Corp (POW) and rest in W.PR.M (Min reset pfd from West Coast Energy - an Enbridge gas company) Yielding 6.6% and 5.2% respectively.

More maturing soon, so will again be faced with similar decisions.

·
Registered
19,039 Posts
As corporate bonds mature or are called, I keep looking for places to re-invest. Should be fixed income or at least alternatives with equal or lower risk that provide cash flow. Not many choices. Not going to GICs or bonds at current yields. Leaves preferreds and common stock.

I had about $22k to re-invest - Chose to put half in Power Corp (POW) and rest in W.PR.M (Min reset pfd from West Coast Energy - an Enbridge gas company) Yielding 6.6% and 5.2% respectively.
Can you get that Simplii promotion at 2.3% interest for 6 months? That's such a high interest rate on cash (zero risk, zero volatility) that it might be worth phoning them to see if you can open an account and get that promo.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Can you get that Simplii promotion at 2.3% interest for 6 months? That's such a high interest rate on cash (zero risk, zero volatility) that it might be worth phoning them to see if you can open an account and get that promo.
I am not a client and I called them to check anyway. They said that it's only for existing clients and it depends on the "relationship" with the bank. On the other hand there's 2.0% for new clients until end of March 2021. The bonus interest will be paid off at the end of the period.

·
Registered
19,039 Posts
I am not a client and I called them to check anyway. They said that it's only for existing clients and it depends on the "relationship" with the bank. On the other hand there's 2.0% for new clients until end of March 2021. The bonus interest will be paid off at the end of the period.
2% is awfully good too. Even my credit union only pays 1.3%. With these promotional rates, they always pay in the month after the end of the promo.

You might also ask Tangerine if they have a competing promo. Then go with whichever one has the highest rate for the longest time.

201 - 220 of 303 Posts