Canadian Money Forum banner

161 - 178 of 178 Posts

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #163
the advertised rate is only day-by-day, ie it could drop tomorrow
This is true of any HISA -- unless it is a fixed term teaser rate to begin with. EQBank made much of their "non-teaser" "standard" 3.0% rate, that wound up lasting only a few months -- less than if it HAD been a fixed term teaser rate. They still pay 2.3% and I still have a wodge of cash there, since it IS a good HISA rate.

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
This is true of any HISA -- unless it is a fixed term teaser rate to begin with. EQBank made much of their "non-teaser" "standard" 3.0% rate, that wound up lasting only a few months -- less than if it HAD been a fixed term teaser rate. They still pay 2.3% and I still have a wodge of cash there, since it IS a good HISA rate.

OIC ... but i only have experience with a couple HISAs since most do not operate in quebec. EQ is one that does not, for example.

tangerine is one of the few that do offer across canada & Tang always guarantees their promotion rates for a set period of time, usually 3 or 6 months. So i'd assumed that all the others except laurentian do the same ...

2.3 default rate that you are receiving sounds good to me. But alas when i looked the laurentian bank default rate was much lower than 2.3, really no better than what i could routinely obtain at the TD

·
Registered
9,930 Posts
FWIW, I think the 'default' rates at alternative lenders like Equitable (EQ), Home Trust (Oaken), B2B and the new one (LDC?) can probably be sustained a bit higher than the average entity....if for no other reason than AUM size and the higher loan rates of alternative lenders. Whether that is 2.3% like EQ and Oaken seem to be keeping, remains to be seen. Probably not a bad bet to use that as the reference point.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Which one? I saw that Laurentian has 3.3% HISA, but it's hard to believe this isn't a teaser and will drop to 2.3% in 6 months.
Have one with EQ that has been paying 2.3% for a few years now, along with taking advantage of their intermittent 3% and 3.3% 90 day GIC's when they pop up. Opened a new one with B2B for 3.3%. Hopefully the rate lasts for a while but it's easy enough to move.

·
Registered
15,838 Posts
Bought 2026 maturity government CMHC bond, coupon 1.90 for tax efficiency, around 2.0% yield to maturity. It's less yield than a GIC but is liquid.

I use these bonds to fill in my ladder above 5 years so that my combined GIC + bond ladder spans 10+ years.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #171
Added to GWO, REI.UN and IPL (again). This should be it for buying this year.
I have a couple of tax losses to ditch next week.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Bought 1000 shares of BB from play money. Very close to the money I made when BB was on the way up. Short term, will sell them before or after the next financial report.
Bought Ipad Pro and Apple pencil (pre Boxing day sale).
Sold my BB this morning. +25% in 2 months is not too bad. The left over cash will be for my 2020 TFSA.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
I have some funds to deploy as well. I still have standing orders for TD and NFI. I have decided that BPY will replace DRG in my REIT sector. I had an order set of 23.60 that didn't exercise even though it was the low for the day.

161 - 178 of 178 Posts