Canadian Money Forum banner

141 - 160 of 178 Posts

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #142
Now that we've sold the rental and I have a reasonable pile of cash to get invested, I have started adding again:
added to EMA, BPY-UN, CNR and IPL.
I also bought a new truck -- nothing frugal about that, I don't think.

·
Registered
2,872 Posts
I sold all my Vermilion at a loss and offset that loss by selling a chunk of EIF which had substantial gains (what happened to that US short seller??) . I may also do a similar buy sell to get rid of IPL in that account - Have some Crescent that would offset the gains.

Now have a large chunk of $$ earning nothing. Some will go in HISA for TFSA contribution and taxes later. Rest, needs to find a safer dividend paying home than VET/EIF/IPL! Trying to move to more conservative portfolio! Still looking!

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #145
Added to TRP. Was hoping to pick up a dip based on the leak last month, but it's completely rebounded.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #146
Added to RCI-B. They are close to their 52-week low. I expect they will be able to turn around their subscriber troubles.

·
Registered
15,838 Posts
I bought a Concentra 2 year GIC at 2.25%

Normally I only buy 5 year GICs, but I recently noticed a hole in my GIC ladder. My next purchases will only be 5 years.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I just doubled my position in Transcontinental.

I now own 846 shares. Originally bought at 20 - thought it was super cheap/undervalued. Then added at 15.15...and now just doubled position at 14.20. Maybe I'm a sucker for punishment..but I think 5 years from now, this one is looking like a steal.

·
Registered
746 Posts
I bought a Concentra 2 year GIC at 2.25%

Normally I only buy 5 year GICs, but I recently noticed a hole in my GIC ladder. My next purchases will only be 5 years.
Why would you buy 2 year GIC at 2.25% when you can have a Motive Savvy Savings account where you could get 2.8%. It's not even GIC and you can withdraw money whenever you require.

·
Registered
9,930 Posts
Why would you buy 2 year GIC at 2.25% when you can have a Motive Savvy Savings account where you could get 2.8%. It's not even GIC and you can withdraw money whenever you require.
The 2.8% could drop to 2% tomorrow. HISA rates are only good one day at a time.

·
Registered
2,872 Posts
Rest, needs to find a safer dividend paying home than VET/EIF/IPL! Trying to move to more conservative portfolio! Still looking!
Couldn't come up with anything that made sense, so for now, bought BMO's ZDV. In part, replicates what I already own and has a reasonable yield of something over 4%.

In my RRIF, bought the CWB FF NVCC 3.688% bond I posted about in another thread. On RRIF US side, not being risk averse, I bought 200 of BP. ~6.5% yield! So long as oil stays in mid 50s or higher should be OK. Not recommending this for others :)

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #153
Added to NVU.UN. It has been one of the better performing REITs in my collection. I am looking to simplify my REIT holdings to four from 6. Currently I have:

AX.UN 7%
FCR 34%
HR.UN 22%
NVU.UN 15%
REI.UN 8%
BPY 15%

I think I will dump AX.UN and REI.UN, but I am waffling.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I bought more ZSP the S&P 500 index in my RRSP. I realize that US listed index ETFs are more tax efficient inside the RRSP but it's awfully convenient being able to trade in CAD.

Preserving my asset allocation (see this thread), nothing fancy or strategic. A ridiculous year so far, +12% YTD on my diversified asset mix.
james4beach, are you losing withholding tax if you buy ZSP in your RRSP?

·
Registered
9,930 Posts
james4beach, are you losing withholding tax if you buy ZSP in your RRSP?
Yes, he is, but that may be vastly outweighed being 'awfully convenient being able to trade in CAD'. The tax tail should not necessarily wag the dog for perhaps 25-30bp. A multi-decade CAGR of 10% or so overwhelms 25-30bp tax leakage. IOW, does it really matter whether one's multi-decade CAGR is 10.0 or 10.2%? It's like using limit orders to squeeze out another penny or two on a purchase or a sale. It won't make one iota difference the next business day, or next business week.

·
Registered
15,838 Posts
Yes, he is, but that may be vastly outweighed being 'awfully convenient being able to trade in CAD'. The tax tail should not necessarily wag the dog for perhaps 25-30bp. A multi-decade CAGR of 10% or so overwhelms 25-30bp tax leakage. IOW, does it really matter whether one's multi-decade CAGR is 10.0 or 10.2%? It's like using limit orders to squeeze out another penny or two on a purchase or a sale. It won't make one iota difference the next business day, or next business week.
That's my sense as well. First, it doesn't really make a big difference in the long term (such a small CAGR difference).

Shuffling between CAD <> USD is not a very efficient process either. Even with currency gambits, the forex fee (loss) ranges between perhaps 13 and 20 basis points. I will be moving more money into my RRSP in the coming years, so if I wanted to use American ETFs, I'd be looking at doing gambits each time and taking those losses. That alone immediately makes ZSP worth it.

There's also the issue of rebalancing and managing currencies. Using ZSP alongside all my other Canadian ETFs means I can easily shift money from one to the other. I just did my annual rebalancing in the RRSP and it was a breeze; a few trades and I'm done. No currency management.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Placed orders this evening for TD, NFI and ITP. Current cash position is way higher than I am used to maintaining. I am currently under weight ITP and NFI. If the TD order gets filled it will become my top Canadian bank holding. Currently ranking is BNS, RY, TD, BMO and finally CWB. Am also underweight financials in comparison to the Canadian market.

Cheers

141 - 160 of 178 Posts