Canadian Money Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am 33 yrs old, have very good credit rating, just renewed my mortgage for another 5 year term, have a line of credit and dont expect to need to borrow for anything for a while.

I currently have a RBC Visa Infinite Avion card. Looking at some comparison sites they rank other cards higher.

What should I consider before switching credit cards? To help keep my credit rating high could I change my RBC Avion card to some other RBC card that does not have an annual fee?

Any recommendations on websites that are good for comparing credit cards?

· Banned
103 Posts
Given your situation, you likely could just apply for another credit card without switching away from the RBC card. It's usually best to keep a card you have a long history with, for credit rating purposes, even if you aren't using it any longer. If the RBC card has an annual fee, you could ask to switch to a different RBC visa that has no annual fee, but that would allow you to keep the continuity with RBC visa. Similarly, if you're worried about having two different high-limit credit cards, you could lower the limit on the RBC card.

The place I usually go to for comparison of card benefits is: http://www.creditcards.ca/rewards.php

· Registered
210 Posts
I'll add the same sentiments, just apply for new cards if you want. With already good credit history it's unlikely to affect you. I've opened a few cc's to take advantage of generous new applicant offers and have had good experiences doing it. Just remember to document any "deal" paperwork and advertising so you can follow up with their CS departments should any charges appear.

I recently opened up a new aeroplan card to get a free north america trip, 25,000 aeroplan points for spending $1000 in three months. Seemed pretty easy, and the deal waived the first year's fees. Now all that remains for me is to travel and enjoy the free (-ish flight taxes #[email protected]%) trip and cancel the card before year two fees kick in. Closing the account does hurt your credit a little but if you're already in good shape this shouldn't matter.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.