Canadian Money Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the stock market there are a few books most professionals started off reading. Are there equivalents for real estate? I'm not looking for "millionaire pep talk" books but some really good timeless advice on how investing in real estate works, principles to follow, how commercial is different from resi, etc.

Any advice appreciated!

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
For the beginner, the simple solution to real estate investing in Canada is good. Also brrrr which describes the same system, but is more usa focussed.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
For the beginner, the simple solution to real estate investing in Canada is good. Also brrrr which describes the same system, but is more usa focussed.
Thanks I'll check out the first one. what's "brrr"?

·
Registered
59 Posts
As a big fan of the "For dummies" books myself, they actually have a Canada specific RE book called "Real Estate Investing for Canadians (for dummies)"

·
Registered
16,702 Posts
Curious, what do the books say about public disease outbreaks where (a) renters can now skip rent payments and (b) you can't evict anyone.

I would imagine these significantly change the equations. And the situation will probably last for another 12 months.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Curious, what do the books say about public disease outbreaks where (a) renters can now skip rent payments and (b) you can't evict anyone.

I would imagine these significantly change the equations. And the situation will probably last for another 12 months.
Coming soon j4b. Those books are in the works. The authors working feverishly to get them to press, at least if there are any offset presses operating anymore. Otherwise, they are taking a page from Mr. Bratch's book and pressing on to e-publishing. Should be riveting stuff. I guess the titles will be things like 'The Altruistic Landlord' and 'Investing in Real Estate as a Charitable Endeavour' and 'Invest in Real Estate and Social Distance Yourself From Your Money'.

I am also looking forward to reading 'The Impoverished Barber' and 'The Former Millionaire Next Door'.

·
Registered
16,702 Posts
Coming soon j4b. Those books are in the works. The authors working feverishly to get them to press, at least if there are any offset presses operating anymore. Otherwise, they are taking a page from Mr. Bratch's book and pressing on to e-publishing. Should be riveting stuff. I guess the titles will be things like 'The Altruistic Landlord' and 'Investing in Real Estate as a Charitable Endeavour' and 'Invest in Real Estate and Social Distance Yourself From Your Money'.

I am also looking forward to reading 'The Impoverished Barber' and 'The Former Millionaire Next Door'.
This stuff is going to be fascinating.

During my recent search for a new rental, I discovered a new phrase which interested landlords: "I have money and I'll pay two months of rent immediately".

I've also heard that there may not be any rent increases at the end of this year. Plus, Canada is currently registering deflation (negative inflation) which would prevent landlords from being able to raise rents.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Well, if we're into deflationary times, then simply allowing tenants to skip rent won't cut it. Landlords will have to start paying tenants to stay. Reverse rent, if you will.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts