Canadian Money Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
24,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know I'm not the only person here who has a Wells Fargo bank account in the US.

I had read online that some Canadians were getting warnings that their accounts might be closed. I had not seen such a warning myself, but I recently was in a branch and the teller immediately told me that my account was "flagged" due to the Canadian address.

I was informed that the address had to be urgently changed to a US address, otherwise the account would get (1) frozen eventually leading to (2) account closure, though they don't seem to know the time line.

The simple solution is to use a US address, or even a family member's address, for the primary profile address. The mailing address can still be different, and even in Canada. It's just the primary address that has to be US-based.

WF used to allow Canadian addresses for accounts. This appears to be a new policy that came into effect during the pandemic. My account was working normally, and I had no idea such a problem existed until a teller told me.

·
Registered
24,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have both a WF chequing account (since 2001) and a WF Visa credit card that remains functional. I have not received any letter (yet) telling me I am no longer welcome and I am not doing anything about it for now.
OK but they didn't send me a letter either. I didn't see any notification from them about this.

Anyway, don't be surprised if your account gets frozen. It's easily resolved, anyway, so you can just wait until you see a problem with the account. Maybe they really won't do anything, anyway.

By the way, some time ago I also received an $87 payout on the Wells Fargo settlement for those bogus accounts. I had reason to believe my own profile/accounts were affected and I had complained about it, and also informed the law firm pursuing the class action.

·
Registered
24,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The only reason I keep this account is to pay a couple US based bills, such as a monthly phone bill payment.

Is there some way of making US bill payments from Canadian banks? The last time I checked, it seemed that wasn't possible and that's why I kept the WF account.

·
Registered
24,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have everything I possibly can set up as a PAD on credit cards.
There are bigger battles to fight than that one.
Thanks, I will look into the credit card method of bill payment.

I'm not trying to fight a battle here, but I have US bills to pay. Hopefully credit cards will work, but failing that, what is the next easiest path?

I suppose I'll just keep the WF account. Seems the status is currently OK.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts