Canadian Money Forum banner

21 - 22 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Snow all gone from ditches, and only modest rain so far, so ditch and field picking is not too muddy. Out last 2 weekends for a total of 8 hours- the returns for this period is still a respectable $200.

Surprised it is this good with most areas I was picking also cleaned by me about 9 months ago at most. I thought folks were staying in, but I guess I am wrong on that front.

Oh, and a working 700W power invertor for the car, and a pair of 4 bay UHF tv antennas.

And my wife has 17 full mcdonalds free coffee cards at the moment from their cups I gather in the ditch and drag home, and then we use the coated cardboard part to start fires in the fire place.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Very busy in the past month. Best hunting time before the green foliage comes in. Last week the clerk at the beer store I make my returns at asked me where do I find all this stuff.

I have been weekly turning in at least $25 of product. Plus I found partially corroded away old cast iron flat roofi drain covers in a hvac dumpster that were heavy to hoist, but went straight to the scrap yard the next day for $35

I told him just put on my mind of when I was about 23.
You have a good chance of regular access to a car, but not as likely not an apartment, a posse of pals, and not the free cash to hit the bars every night. And this year no bar to go to with the pal of C-19 on everyones' back.

So you get with your pals, and hang somewhere where others are not likely to bug you. Shoot the ****, have a few beers, some doob maybe. But somewhere so if the police or security guards wander by there is place to toss the cans/bottles that do not point directly back to you. So steep ditches where grass grows high in the summer, or better yet a fence to toss over.

So put on a long jacket and thick jeans, boots and thick socks and a stout hat because between buckthorn and risk of ticks you are going to work a bit.

But one industrial line of warehouses backing onto a highway, well the highway side of that fence yield 450 cans from two 1 hour picks from that. The second day was because I ran out of bags to pack them in.

Sunday early I hit my musician pal warehouse dumpster for 270 cans in 20 minutes of picking. I was actually out to hit a Timmys where a dumpster is the end of the news dealer route. So friday I find the tues, wed and thursday papers in a bundle, and Sunday has the fri,and sat papers. We gather the crosswords, sudukos, and jumbles, as well as scan the globe, financial post, sun, star and Hamilton spectator.

Yes, not mainstream, but it works for me.

21 - 22 of 22 Posts