Canadian Money Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So here where I am in the GTA we have been in varied lock down levels since March 2020.

In the early days of this covid mess dear wife was scared to even pass someone masked on the sidewalk when we were out for exercise walks in our residential neighborhood.

Well one thing Mississauga does not lack is gobs of roads with just industrial businesses on them. And in lock down very few vehicles even if no sidewalks. So we drive there, and go for a walk and never come near another pedestrian.

We started to notice all sorts of deposit return cans on the side of these roads, plus things like discarded car batteries that net cash at the scrap yard.

So our walks evolved to shopping bags too grubby to buy groceries in any more, and a remote grabber thing of the sort elderly/disabled folks use to pick up things otherwise out of reach.

We bring cans and bottles home, leave for a few days in the back yard in case someone with Corona was last to touch it, then squash and sort to prep for a redeem for cash.

Also drive to where you saw scrap when walking and load it into the car once your walk gets you back to your vehicle.

Old beer cans and scrap yard runs are not for every body, but we are 10 months in and up over $1500. Yes, the car has cost for this, but we drive a Volt on electric range in our outings and the recharge cost for that is worth peanuts..

·
Registered
5,976 Posts
^ Did you meant to say that you were able to pick up at least "50 empty cans per day", each day, for the past 10 months? Boy either Mississauga is a bad litter-bug area or just have alot of lazies.

·
Registered
14,756 Posts
A guy was doing that last night on our garbage night. He was riding a bicycle in the snow and had saddle bags.

I asked the wife what she thought he was collecting and she said "pop cans". So the guy is taking pop cans right out of the recycling bins.

Doing it that way........he can probably make some good money.

We have others who come along in a van or truck and grab old furniture being thrown out.

I set up a basement pantry and desk area with shelves and cabinets for storage that were on the side of the road for pickup.

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
A guy was doing that last night on our garbage night. He was riding a bicycle in the snow and had saddle bags.

I asked the wife what she thought he was collecting and she said "pop cans". So the guy is taking pop cans right out of the recycling bins.
Oh for sure. We have a guy that has been doing that for years in my neighborhood, known as the "Can Guy". He's homeless, and does his rounds through various neighborhoods and picks up all the cans on recycle day. It's amazing to see him loaded down at the end of a run.

But I never envisioned CMF member Poderling as a "homeless guy" who picked up cans as a living.

Is this a consequence of the pandemic?

ltr

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I have found an industrial unit a few bands rent that yields about 50 or more cans and bottles every time I fish their dumpster as well as a cross border shipper that would dump damaged or undeliverable that was a very rich honey pot spot til they moved.

Best days were in march and april - had all of last winter and no bottle or can returns at start of first lock down. There were days of 300 cans found back then.

Road to the cement kiln is always tons of cans, worth a walk every 4 weeks or so. It just blows my mind what we find some days, and the collection is not an every day thing.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm not homeless, just sick of working from home.

So a walk when there is daylight to get out of the house; heck I might as well be with a bag in my hand to gather what catches my eye, and leave the world a little less littered.

·
Registered
14,756 Posts
that was a very rich honey pot spot til they moved.

That made me laugh and think about when I was a kid some 60 years ago.

I used to visit my grandparents house and they were at the end of a street in the city with an empty field across the road.

The local kids told to come with them, and we waited until a truck came along and dumped a big pile of candy onto the ground.

It was a truck from McCormicks factory where they made all kinds of cookies and candies. It was a big goobly mess of goodness.....lol

It was our "honey pot".

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
wow, that’s amazing of $1500 in bottles. My friend had a deal with his wife to buy a fancy new tv. it was a little challenge that he had to come up with 1/2 the money outside of their budget. So he decided to collect empties. It took him almost 2 years to get $1000 in bottles and all of his friends family saved his Bottles for him.

It interesting hearing about the side hustles people startled doing during the pandemic. Some just out of boredom or lost of jobs.

·
Registered
13,790 Posts

Doing it that way........he can probably make some good money.

We have others who come along in a van or truck and grab old furniture being thrown out.

I set up a basement pantry and desk area with shelves and cabinets for storage that were on the side of the road for pickup.
A pop can is worth maybe a cent as scrap. No way you can collect enough to make it worthwhile to collect them. It would have to be a (strange) hobby or an act of desperation for someone unemployable.

·
Registered
13,790 Posts
Well I have found an industrial unit a few bands rent that yields about 50 or more cans and bottles every time I fish their dumpster as well as a cross border shipper that would dump damaged or undeliverable that was a very rich honey pot spot til they moved.

Best days were in march and april - had all of last winter and no bottle or can returns at start of first lock down. There were days of 300 cans found back then.

Road to the cement kiln is always tons of cans, worth a walk every 4 weeks or so. It just blows my mind what we find some days, and the collection is not an every day thing.
People parking in abandoned industrial lots for socializing?

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
actually the best was a small woodlot near my place, and about same distance from a pair of hi rise public hi rise.
So someone from either spots must have lost their normal hang out, because that was 60 or more cans twice a weekend for the first two months or so until they started taking returns at a select few beer stores.

And yes, behind industrial businesses where there was evidence of groups of cars of people congregating and a lot of beer cans coffee cups and fast food wrappers.

One closed strip club parking lot one day yielded like 200 cans, and three car rads, and a dumped ac condenser that came to over $50 at the scrap yard.

·
Registered
2,954 Posts
I like this, I hope you are also picking up some genuine trash along the way as well and not exclusively items for Cash. The tidying up of the neighborhood and the physical fitness activity during your hour excursion is worth more than the $5 from recycling materials of dubious environmental impact (recycling is rather an iffy endeavour - better to just have properly managed landfills).

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Cant get it all. If a garbage can is part of the route, yes, pick all sorts.

If not we prioritize - squash the cans and gather glass containers on the first pass

Next walk in the area might be with a bigger bag to snag all the discarded water bottles. If there was ever a product that needs a deposit to keep them out of being tossed it is water bottles.

Last gathered is paper coffee cups - macd's and timmys usually. They almost decay after a winter but the plastic lining leaves a goo with paper pulp stuck to it, and the lids fall into little flakes with enough uv exposure.

·
Registered
14,756 Posts
Our landlord owns blocks of rentals and has a crew going around picking up litter all the time.

There are also some older people who walk along picking up stuff.

What amazes me is when I see pictures of US cities and the garbage piled up everywhere. Nobody picks up anything down there.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I was damn cold today, not so bad temperature wise, but the breeze this afternoon made things feel quite a bit nippier. Well at least when you are squeezing aluminum beer cans so more can fit into the bag you have at hand.

Stopped by one usually fertile picking spot yesterday, to find only about 12 can and a few bottles. Oh well, in this crazy pass time there are no guarantees.
At least it was when we were out to the weekly grocer and SDM run- about the only permitted outings these days.

Swung behind an arena on the way back where we often can find dumped cans. No cans, but three bags of dumped serviceable clothing. I guess the thrift store drop off was not open so someone just dumped it there instead. We sorted what is donate-able and washed it last night, and this morning. Most will get to Value Village some afternoon this coming week. Some will get donated to the local community theatre costume vault.

I had the itch to get out today, so I just went to the one fave dumpster was checked out again.

Today the well held more water... 13 bottles and 70 cans. Likely this will be the sole big picking spot for me for the next 8 weeks or so until the snow melts away. Then we can get to the bottom of a roadside ditch without the pleasure of getting a soaker when you break through the packed snow covering the water under it. That turns a nice walk into a crumby trudge back to the car real fast.

-

·
Registered
11,205 Posts
A pop can is worth maybe a cent as scrap. No way you can collect enough to make it worthwhile to collect them. It would have to be a (strange) hobby or an act of desperation for someone unemployable.
I guess various groups didn't get the memo as I regularly have them ringing the door bell to ask for cans and bottles.
The Florida trailer part association collected them year round and the local school runs collections yearly.

Then too, if one is already there for another reason - what's the extra cost to collecting them?

Cheers

·
Registered
137 Posts
I can see picking up deposit beer cans and wine and beer bottles but as Andrew said non deposit stuff is next to worthless.

·
Registered
13,790 Posts
I mean, you would have to be picking up cans by the shovel to earn a living wage. No harm as a hobby or act of civic service to clean up litter.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well finally a nice enough day temperature wise, and no fresh snow or ice to deal with so I did a dig at my musician's pals rehearsal dumpster this morning.

Out the door and back in less than half and hour at 7:30am , and then 15 minutes as an afternoon break to hit the beer store, for $27 in that one picking.

The weak sun is slowly melting the snow banks , and perhaps my fishing the ditches clean of garbage can start again in a few more weeks.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts