Canadian Money Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there any website available to built a mixed us-cdn ETF portfolio and get the usuals data (top holdings, sector/country repartition, etc).

Both iShares and Vanguard offer such tools on their website but i would like to be able to generate a single report with both my us-cdn ETF so i can get the big picture.

·
Banned
424 Posts
I use the portfolio builder at Morningstar to determine the portfolio's overall characteristics like average yield and country and sector allocations.

I use Riskgrades to help build a portfolio with reduced risk, but it does not have data on some of the BMO ETFs.

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
If you just use Canadian and Vanguard ETF's, you could go to the Globeinvestor website and set up a Fundlist for the Canadian ETF's and use the Vanguard website for their ETF's and only have two sites to refer to in order to do your analysis.

I realize that is not exactly what you were looking for.

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
hello-this-is-your-friendly-uncle-sam-plans-to-tax-your-estate-watchdog-hijacking-this-thread-with-a-news-update.

US president barrack obama pushed last week for the pre-bush tax structures of a decade ago to be resumed jan 1/11. While allowing for moderate tax cuts for middle-class taxpayers, America cannot afford to fail to tax the rich, the president said.

white house press secretary richard gibbs reiterated obama's message this am on national tv.

if reinstated, pre-bush tax structures will lower the taxable threshold of a non-resident alien estate to a percentage of $1 million that will represent the percentage of US assets in the total estate. Those taxes are heavy, in excess of 50%. US total estate calculations include rrsps & all other registered plans plus all real estate as well as stocks, bonds, bank accounts, mutual funds, other financial products, business & partnership interests & personal effects wheresoever situated. Including homes & registered accounts, many middle-class canadian estate totals will easily hit the magic 7-figure marker.

the good news is that the US doesn't seem to have a system up & running to catch NR alien estates. Theoretically it could be done easily by freezing US assets belonging to any deceased such as stocks, etfs, mutual funds etc, since all canadian brokers are using US jitney services & these will obey washington. US situated real estate can already be easily frozen. One can assume, however, that it would take the US at least a couple of years to be able to freeze moveable assets.

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
hey bel guy there are threads on this but they're buried in the archives. No use starting another.

since you say you're an ultra-hi-net-worth investor who was able to wangle a custom low commish out of his discount broker in return for only a handful of trades per annum, and since you keep posting about your US etfs, wouldn't you be a natural to keep a close eye on the peregrinations & permutations of the soon-to-be-implemented US foreign estate tax ...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts