Canadian Money Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
WealthBar is Canada's only robo-advisor specializing in retirement income planning.

Low cost investing. Advice you can trust. Open an account and get:

Access to higher quality investments previously only available to the ultra-wealthy. These higher return, lower volatility portfolios have consistently returned 8%.

WealthBar is the only robo-advisor in Canada to offer financial advice. Your Financial Adviser will work with you to take control of your financial future. With financial planning included in our already low fees, you can get answers to all your questions about money.

Fees that are up to 60% less than traditional mutual funds.

No commission, unbiased advice - not a sales pitch.

Professionally managed portfolios that are rebalanced and leverage tax-loss harvesting.

Learn more and get $10,000 managed free for 1 year

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Looking for free advertising, I see!
You really need to read the rules of this forum.
The moderator will be along shortly.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Heyjude,

Sorry to give that impression. We've paid for the ad space and just waiting for the moderator to promote it (that's just how they have the site set up for ad copy). Apologies if it came off as though we were looking for free ad space, that's not the case. Side note - I see you're very active on the forum. Looking forward to getting more involved here and listening to people's questions about retirement.

·
Registered
18,288 Posts
I'm one of the moderators of this site. My understanding is that WealthBar is a Site Sponsor and is therefore allowed to post advertising material.

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
Allowing advertisers to post seems like a terrible idea on a DIY site where new investors come to learn, and are confronted (perhaps unknowingly) by posters who's intention is to drum up candidates for their business.

An overt, clearly labelled ad is fine, but to allow posting is something I've never seen before. How could any advise given be seen as anything but an attempt to gain customers.

·
Registered
5,103 Posts
Okay, seeing that this "robo-advisor" has gotten permission to get paid advertisement here (see J4B's post #8), I'm looking at the "Meet the WealthBar Team" https://www.wealthbar.com/team and I'm confused as hell as who'll be actually be providing me with financial advising expertise? The founders? cofounders? various CFA, CFP or the other veteran "Advisors" listed?

Track record and reputation is of upmost importance to some people looking for "paid (personalized) advice", you know. Otherwise it's no different than DIY only you have to pay some else to educate yourself. Makes sense. :rolleyes2:

·
Registered
18,288 Posts
Allowing advertisers to post seems like a terrible idea on a DIY site where new investors come to learn, and are confronted (perhaps unknowingly) by posters who's intention is to drum up candidates for their business.

An overt, clearly labelled ad is fine, but to allow posting is something I've never seen before. How could any advise given be seen as anything but an attempt to gain customers.
I just want to clarify here that I don't set the site policies, but this is an issue you could raise with the site administrators
http://canadianmoneyforum.com/forumdisplay.php/8-Site-Issues-and-Feedback

·
Registered
5,223 Posts
sheesh, a site dedicated to what is essentailly discussion about the free market and now everyone is bitching about the advertising

how do you think cmf is paying the bills people ?

i this a hobby forum or what ? ... no, it's supposed to be a for-profit business and advertising is its business model

i guess i need to put on my hip-wader-hypocrisy boots ...

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
sheesh, a site dedicated to what is essentailly discussion about the free market and now everyone is bitching about the advertising

how do you think cmf is paying the bills people ?

i this a hobby forum or what ? ... no, it's supposed to be a for-profit business and advertising is its business model

i guess i need to put on my hip-wader-hypocrisy boots ...
I'm certainly not against advertising on the site, but I guess I see a large difference between an overt ad and a poster who claims to want to help the posters, yet represents a company trolling for customers. Do you not make that distinction? Do you accept the advice from the advertiser (posing as a poster) as unbiased?

ltr

·
Registered
5,223 Posts
I'm certainly not against advertising on the site, but I guess I see a large difference between an overt ad and a poster who claims to want to help the posters, yet represents a company trolling for customers. Do you not make that distinction? Do you accept the advice from the advertiser (posing as a poster) as unbiased?

ltr
agree ... the thread should be marked at the top as a paid advertising thread, for sure, but there are many posts after james has declared that it is paid advertising ... which decry the hideous notion that there should be any advertising at all ... that is all i am saying ... but yes, it would be good if we could mark the ad threads clearly

·
Registered
3,542 Posts
On other forums that I visit that are owned by the same company as CMF (VerticalScope Inc. of Toronto, Ontario), sponsor advertising is allowed. But only in a separate sub forum or in sidebar display ads. No reason such a subforum could not be created here. But sponsors should stay out of the DIY discussion forums.

Actually, there is already such a sub-forum. It is called Vendor deals. That is where the OP should have posted. James, as a moderator, you should move this thread there. It should have been posted there in the first place!

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
On other forums that I visit that are owned by the same company as CMF (VerticalScope Inc. of Toronto, Ontario), sponsor advertising is allowed. But only in a separate sub forum or in sidebar display ads. No reason such a subforum could not be created here. But sponsors should stay out of the DIY discussion forums.

Actually, there is already such a sub-forum. It is called Vendor deals. That is where the OP should have posted. James, as a moderator, you should move this thread there. It should have been posted there in the first place!
Seems like a very sensible suggestion to me.

ltr

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.