Canadian Money Forum banner

101 - 120 of 120 Posts

·
Registered
13,011 Posts
Conservative leader Andrew Scheer made a huge announcement to the media.

He said he demanded Trudeau and Morneau resign immediately !

Thanks for stopping by Andy..........LOL.

·
Registered
4,065 Posts
The money was budgeted if necessary, but wasn't necessarily going to be spent. It depended on how many students were involved.

WE and the other charities involved were to receive "up to" 43 million, if all the money was spent. (if the program was a huge success)

Mr.Matt posted the link, but apparently doesn't read past the headline.

Trudeau answered all the questions during the hearing, and Pierre Poutine said "nobody believed him".

Sorry Pierre.....You are the one most Canadians don't believe.
I did read the entire article.
The We Charities were getting up to $43 million.
The students were to get up to $500 million.
The other $350 million would then be free to go to non-student/non-we charity groups and individuals.

·
Registered
12,751 Posts
Conservative leader Andrew Scheer made a huge announcement to the media.

He said he demanded Trudeau and Morneau resign immediately !

Thanks for stopping by Andy..........LOL.
Call me when an opposition leader does not demand the government resign.

·
Registered
6,866 Posts
On a lighter note, I just made a typo which I corrected. But after I did, I thought how some Trudeau bashers would have liked it and might want to use it. I typed Turdeau, a simply transposition of the r and u. I'm not a Trudeau basher personally but I don't mind giving those who are something to have fun with if they want to.
I voted Liberal and I have referred to Turdeau and Moroneau since they screwed up their attempt to tax the rich while hitting the middle class. I thought "What a bunch of morons!" These trust fund kids have no idea how business works!

·
Registered
4,065 Posts
I voted Liberal and I have referred to Turdeau and Moroneau since they screwed up their attempt to tax the rich while hitting the middle class. I thought "What a bunch of morons!" These trust fund kids have no idea how business works!
You think that's bad, I voted for Dalton McGuinty on his first run through Ontario.
If you're not aware, he broke almost every single election promise, many within the first few days.

·
Registered
6,866 Posts
Anyone that pays attention would realize that Trudeau thinks he can get away with the sh*t he is pulling. And sadly, he might!

·
Registered
4,065 Posts
Anyone that pays attention would realize that Trudeau thinks he can get away with the sh*t he is pulling. And sadly, he might!
I'm not sure if he thinks he can get away with it, or if he honestly doesn't understand why his behaviour is wrong.

I'm actually leaning to the second one. He's got to realize this behaviour is politically expensive. I think he's actually more incompetent than malevolent.

·
Registered
13,011 Posts
Criminals think like criminals. Maybe Trudeau just doesn't think like a criminal.

Some Conservatives on the other hand, seem to have no problem thinking up all the criminal possibilities.

Let's not forget that Andrew Scheer got caught taking money from the Conservative funds to pay for private school, minivan, clothes, and an extra housekeeper.

Or that in 2015 Stephen Harper and Pierre Poilievre got caught using taxpayer funds to film "vanity" videos for an upcoming election.

Maybe the Conservatives are projecting what they would be doing if in Trudeau's place.

Employment Minister Pierre Poilievre commissioned a team of public servants for overtime work on a Sunday to film him glad-handing constituents in promotion of the Conservative government's benefits for families.

The ensuing taxpayer-funded video – and other recent ones like it – are prompting concern that the Conservatives have taken a new step in the use of public funds to produce "vanity videos."

The Conservatives have faced criticism over the past year for the production of videos highlighting Prime Minister Stephen Harper's activities as part of an online show called 24 Seven. One of these videos landed Mr. Harper in trouble this month during a visit to Iraq when an episode showed the faces of Canadian Armed Forces members, potentially placing them at risk.

It now appears that Mr. Poilievre is taking a similar approach with his department's funds.

·
Registered
4,065 Posts
Let's not forget that Andrew Scheer got caught taking money from the Conservative funds to pay for private school, minivan, clothes, and an extra housekeeper.
Yes, and the Conservative response is to fire him.
On the first offense.

When is Trudeau or Morneau going to held accountable for their misdeeds?
This is #3 for Trudeau and #2 for Morneau for ethics violations.

·
Registered
13,011 Posts
Scheer is still the leader and Poilievre is the public spokesman.........so nope. The Conservatives did nothing. They got rid of Scheer because he can't win.

·
Registered
4,065 Posts
Scheer is still the leader and Poilievre is the public spokesman.........so nope. The Conservatives did nothing. They got rid of Scheer because he can't win.
He resigned when the allegations surfaced.
The CPC accepted his resignation and initiated a leadership competition.

Sure he might have been likely to get the boot anyway. But he pre-empted it, and saved a lot of time and trouble.

Apparently one of the WE guys testified only $200 million was going to students.
Someone else did the math, the "volunteers" would have to work 500 hours over the 10 weeks of summer to get the full $5k. Think about that, Trudeaus great plan was to have students work at less than minimum wage, for more than the legal workweek (in several provinces) for their entire summer.
The same summer that Truduea scheduled off for himself, with the help of the NDP.

This We mess was a poorly thought out disaster.

·
Registered
3,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #113
I'm more interested in just what this WE organization actually is. What seems to be coming out of all this is that it MAY not be the charitable organization most people think it is. They seem to be involved in some things and in ways that are not all admirable.

It may be a case of like many things (Airbnb comes to mind) where the original purpose was fine but as more and more MONEY became involved, the focus shifts from the original intent to making money.

·
Registered
4,065 Posts
I'm more interested in just what this WE organization actually is. What seems to be coming out of all this is that it MAY not be the charitable organization most people think it is. They seem to be involved in some things and in ways that are not all admirable.

It may be a case of like many things (Airbnb comes to mind) where the original purpose was fine but as more and more MONEY became involved, the focus shifts from the original intent to making money.
WE is a web of a variety of organizations and shell companies that's managed to build a valuable brand, and connect with a lot of different stakeholders, and weasel themselves into a number of lucrative government contracts.

It's also clear they've managed to cultivate relationships with a variety of influential people and organizations.

·
Registered
13,011 Posts
Since the Liberals cancelled the funding, it is all supposition on how much they might have spent to do this or do that.

Bottom line is that problem arose and the Liberals took care of it. That is what government is supposed to do.

·
Registered
4,065 Posts
Since the Liberals cancelled the funding, it is all supposition on how much they might have spent to do this or do that.

Bottom line is that problem arose and the Liberals took care of it. That is what government is supposed to do.
Bottom line is that the Liberals tried to give millions of dollars to friends and family, while screwing over students.

They had other programs set up, ready to go, to distribute this funding.
Instead they didn't give it to the people who needed it.

Sorry, there is no way to spin WE as a good thing. The only good thing is they got caught.

·
Registered
13,011 Posts
There is no evidence the Liberals were trying to give anything to friends and family.

The paid appearances by Trudeau's mother, brother and wife happened years ago. Nobody has been paid anything since he has been PM.

The Conservatives are clutching at straws (or is it their pearls) and are guilty of trying to base their arguments on false allegations.

If the Conservatives can't be trusted to tell the truth about these simple facts, Canadians can't trust them as a government.

·
Registered
4,065 Posts
The paid appearances by Trudeau's mother, brother and wife happened years ago. Nobody has been paid anything since he has been PM.
You know that claim is false.

Oh, when did Morneaus daughter depart from WE?
You don't see anything wrong with handing millions to your daughters employer?

Oh, and just so you know Trudeau has been PM since 2015, we paid out almost $300k to the Trudeaus since 2016.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/margaret-justin-trudeau-we-charity-1.5643586

·
Registered
13,011 Posts
Sophie Trudeau was paid $1500 in 2012. It was to reimburse travel expenses. She donates a lot of her time to the charity.

Margaret was paid $250,000 for 28 fund raising speeches over many years. The speaker's bureau collected 20% so she received $200,000. That is an average of $7,142 per speech.

After taxes, she probably didn't earn more than $6,000 per speech. These fees cover traveling expenses, so she might have made $5,000 a speech as income.

Edward was paid $30,000 for 8 fund raising speeches. The speaker bureau took $6,000 as their fee and he received $24,000 for an average of $3,000 a speech.

After taxes and travel expenses, that wouldn't leave a lot left for income.

As for Bill Morneau.....he had already repaid a round of travel expenses and donated $100,000 to the charity. He lapsed on reimbursing the other travel fees.

His one daughter worked for free as a volunteer and the other one worked under a temporary contract. Nothing much to see there.

The Conservatives should spend their time developing some policies relable to Canadians, instead of wasting their time on this nonsense.

·
Registered
13,011 Posts
I do agree that Trudeau should have steered well clear of this particular charity.

It is a holdover from the Harper government and he should have ditched it overboard.

But, he is a busy guy and can't think of everything.

101 - 120 of 120 Posts