Canadian Money Forum banner

61 - 80 of 120 Posts

·
Banned
3,736 Posts
Getting a traffic ticket has you remember each time you pass by the spot where you were stopped.
When "We" was being discussed, Morneau would of remembered the conflict of interest issues (tickets) from the past.
I don't care how much money he has ...... the reason he was able to accumulate such wealth was because he tracked every penny he spent.
The guy who "forgot" about his Villa in France?
You think he tracked every penny?

These guys are either.
1. Unbelievably incompetent
2. Sociopaths.

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
I doubt that there is much difference between corruption and questionable dealing by poiticians in Quebec and those in other provinces. At least not in my experience living in Ontario, Quebec, BC, and Alberta.

The only difference I see is when it happens in Quebec the politcians start with denials and move on start pointing fingers at the 'other guy'.. In our experience Ontario and Alberta politicians close ranks, stay stum, and ride it out. BC, in our experience, is a combination of both. Greed and public corruption are not defined by provincial boundaries.

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
I'm wondering who here has never taken a paper clip home from the office. Theft, pure and simple. LOL

Every job has its 'perks'. Some are perks you are entitled to and some are just perks you THINK you should be entitled to. Truth be told, we all take advantage of whatever we think we can get away with. The only difference is that most of us are not subject to scrutiny by the media and the public. We only have to avoid scrutiny by an employer.

Which reminds me, I still have a small hand held tape recorder in my desk drawer. For dictating notes for my secretary to later type up. Never did get around to giving it back to the company after I left. Maybe I should turn myself in.

·
Banned
3,736 Posts
I'm wondering who here has never taken a paper clip home from the office. Theft, pure and simple. LOL

Every job has its 'perks'. Some are perks you are entitled to and some are just perks you THINK you should be entitled to. Truth be told, we all take advantage of whatever we think we can get away with. The only difference is that most of us are not subject to scrutiny by the media and the public. We only have to avoid scrutiny by an employer.

Which reminds me, I still have a small hand held tape recorder in my desk drawer. For dictating notes for my secretary to later type up. Never did get around to giving it back to the company after I left. Maybe I should turn myself in.
Handing millions of tax dollars to friends and family isn't a "perk".
I do know of places that would write people up and terminate for stealing office supplies.

·
Registered
12,765 Posts
It's possible. I was in court awaiting a case for a friend of my son's, and a young guy pled guilty to stealing a chicken from a grocery store.

The Crown was asking for 6 months custody time. To listen to the Crown the guy had committed a heinous crime that deserved a custody sentence. The local police had numerous officers chasing the guy through alleys and backyards for hours before they apprehended him. The court's precious time had been taken up........blah, blah, blah.

This particular judge went on a rant about the deplorable conditions in the local detention center and said he wasn't about to send the guy there for stealing a chicken. He gave the guy probation. The judge went on to suggest to the guy he straighten out and apply for the police force, as obviously he could chase down suspects better than the local cops.

That is typical for the prosecutor but perhaps not as typical for a judge. Another judge might well have sent the lad to prison for a few months.

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
I guess you will just need to take my word on it.
I'll do no such thing. I know a falsehood when I see one. The only way your story could be in any way accurate is if there was something very significant omitted from your account, such as he pointed a loaded gun at the store clerk while stealing said chicken.

I have read literally thousands of sentencing decisions from criminal courts in Canada and I know it would just not happen that someone would get a custodial sentence in the range of 1 year for stealing a small amount of food. Even someone with a significant criminal record, although that would be regarded as an aggravating circumstance and might get one a few months of jail time. A first offender would certainly not go to jail. Not for theft under $5,000 simpliciter. As I said, if there was some other offence being committed at the same time, or the offender was being sentenced at the same time for a separate offence, then jail time could be on the table.

Below is a BC case where the Court of Appeal upheld a one-year sentence for 3 counts of what might be considered petty theft. So yes, one year. But the offender had a record of 60 criminal convictions spanning many years. If our chicken thief was in that league, your account could possibly be true. But then it would be very misleading to make the bald statement that you know someone who went to jail for a year for stealing a chicken.

PROPERTY OFFENCES — Theft — Sentence • SENTENCING — Considerations — Pre-trial custody — Accused, with extensive record of continuous crime dating back many years, pleading guilty to 3 theft counts arising from 3 incidents of shoplifting — Provincial Court judge imposing jail term of 1 year — Appeal court finding no error in that sentence, apart from failure to deal with 24 days of pre-sentence custody — Court allowing double credit and reducing sentence by 48 days accordingly.

R. v. Gibbs C.A., Rowles, Prowse & Lowry JJ.A., 2007 BCCA 241, Vancouver CA034780, April 23, 2007 (oral), 9pp.

For some further context, I offer:

PROPERTY OFFENCES — Theft — Sentence • Accused, with lengthy related record, succeeding in 2004 in having Court of Appeal reduce his sentence for possession of stolen truck from 20 months’ imprisonment to 14-month conditional sentence — While under the conditional sentence order, and in breach of recognizance, police finding accused in possession of 2 stolen trucks — On conviction for those offences, court imposing sentence of 3 years — Appeal court upholding that sentence.

So, the sentence was initially 14 months conditional, meaning no jail time, for a person with a long record stealing a truck.

R. v. Westlake C.A., Finch C.J.B.C., Ryan & Donald JJ.A., 2007 BCCA 294, Vancouver CA034359, May 11, 2007 (oral), 6pp.

And how about this recent case:

PROPERTY OFFENCES — Theft — Sentence • SENTENCING — Probation — Breach of probation • OBSTRUCTION — Obstruction of peace officer — Accused, 60, with related record, pleading guilty to using a stolen truck to break into a shop and steal tire rims, breach of probation order, obstructing peace officer, and theft of truck — Aggravating factors including criminal record that included 16 convictions for possession of stolen property, and that accused was on probation when offences committed — Mitigating factors including guilty plea and accused’s progress in rehabilitation programs while incarcerated — After 12 months’ credit for time served accused sentenced to 6 months’ imprisonment followed by 18 months’ probation.

R. v. Saunders S.C., G.P. Weatherill J., 2019 BCSC 1889, Kamloops 106508-2, July 3, 2019 (oral), 8pp., • N. Flanagan, for Crown; S. Tate, for accused.

The offender described in that case looks like more of a criminal - a lot more - than a hungry chicken thief. He has a criminal record and gets convicted of truck theft, break and enter and theft, plus breach of probation (he was on probation when he re-offended) and obstruct PO. Yet, he was given an effective 18-month sentence. How do we reconcile that with 12 months for boosting a chicken, unless something has been omitted from the chicken story?

And, humour me, while I cite just one more, to show how daft I see your chicken story to be:

PROPERTY OFFENCES — Theft under $5,000 — Sentence • SENTENCING — Conditional sentences — Availability — Accused working as a "screener" at Vancouver International Airport, assisting passengers in placing personal property into the x-ray machine at the pre-boarding screening area — Video surveillance showing that on 8 occasions in early 2014, the accused took money from wallets placed in plastic bins to be x-rayed — Although the 8 offences involved a breach of trust, court ordering a 12-month conditional sentence — Terms including house arrest and 100 hours of community work service.

R. v. Ruvinskiy Prov. Ct., St. Pierre Prov J., 2014 BCPC 0265, Richmond 59083-3C, November 4, 2014 , 9pp., • G. Nelson, for Crown; W.M. Cuthbertson, for accused.

Without more, does not our misguided airport screener look like a greater miscreant that our cotton pickin' finger lickin' chicken thief?

Do you see why I doubt your chicken thief account? It could only be true if there was a related, untold, story.

·
Registered
768 Posts
I owe you no explanation.
There was a time when you went to jail for 6 months just for vagrancy.
I could care less if you believe what I said or not.

·
Banned
3,736 Posts
I owe you no explanation.
There was a time when you went to jail for 6 months just for vagrancy.
I could care less if you believe what I said or not.
Yes, but the 60's are over, and the vast majority of the population wasn't even alive when vagrancy was a crime.

Unless otherwise specified, we're typically talking about things that happened within the last few decades.

·
Registered
12,765 Posts
I would think a term of incarceration is for serious crimes or a background of serious crimes, but that is not always the case.

Alex Kargus, a 29 year old with some minor past criminal problems was sentenced to 162 days in prison for using fake id to get a tax refund.

He was beaten to death in the Elgin Middlesex Detention Center, a maximum security prison, when he was housed with another inmate who was serving a sentence for murder and had been transferred to Elgin for beating another inmate in a different prison.

·
Registered
12,765 Posts
The Bloc says that if Trudeau and Morneau don't resign by September, they will be calling for a non-confidence vote.

Will Conservatives stand up for their "principles" or are they just blowing hot air ? Time will tell.

61 - 80 of 120 Posts