Canadian Money Forum banner

1 - 20 of 120 Posts

·
Registered
3,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I personally don't want to waste my time or energy on this topic but I know some will and will sidetrack other threads to do so if given a chance.

·
Registered
3,703 Posts
Not much to talk about, yet another conflict of interest scandal.
Looks like it's another pretty clear case that Trudeau is really unable to understand the basics of ethics.

I can't wait till we get rid of this guy, the damage he's doing to this country is insane.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Do you see there is a difference between someone who speaks AFTER they are out of office vs. the current PM awarding a SOLE SOURCE contract to the charity that his wife and mother get paid to speak with. The latter is a conflict of interests.

Sophie and Margeret were paid almost a half million to speak for WE, then WE org was given the contract as a sole source to administer the Youth Grant. No competition for the contract and the amounts are over the allowable amount for a single contract. There were areas which they broke the rules, awarding a contract as sole source that is over the allowable amounts, and even worst, awarding the contract to those who pay your wife and mother.

Stephen Harper getting paid to speak is not the problem. Many people politicians get paid to speak, but not while they are in office.

Reactions: Tayls77

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Stephen Harper getting paid to speak is not the problem. Many people politicians get paid to speak, but not while they are in office.

Yeah, I just don't see the connection of this incident with Trudeau compared to a former politician. Really, really grasping at straws.

SAGS, you have to come up with something better than that if you're going to defend your hero.

ltr

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
This is clearly a conspiracy and lies made up by the opposition. Why didn't Scheer wear a mask? And is Peter McKay crying from his helicopter ride? Wake up.

·
Registered
12,743 Posts
Neither Margaret, Sophie or any anyone the Conservatives are complaining about are in government either.

They have as much influence over the government as Harper has over the Conservative Party.

One difference is that Harper charges a lot more for his speeches, and he isn't doing them to raise money for charity.

Margaret Trudeau collected $250,000 for 28 speeches and appearances to raise money for the charity. That is basically "expense" money.

Sophie Gregoire Trudeau received $1400 way back in 2012, before Trudeau was PM. That probably didn't even cover her "expenses".

The charity was recommended by the public service because they had the infrastructure to administer the program.

All the Conservatives have managed to do is stall the implementation of the program for students who need the money and charities that need the help.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Neither Margaret, Sophie or any anyone the Conservatives are complaining about are in government either.

They have as much influence over the government as Harper has over the Conservative Party.

One difference is that Harper charges a lot more for his speeches, and he isn't doing them to raise money for charity.

Margaret Trudeau collected $250,000 for 28 speeches and appearances to raise money for the charity. That is basically "expense" money.

Sophie Gregoire Trudeau received $1400 way back in 2012, before Trudeau was PM. That probably didn't even cover her "expenses".
Actually, the relationship Harper has IS different than the mother and wife of the Prime Minister. meother a mother or wife are considered at ’arms length’ and can influence decision making. When evaluatiNg bids, one must be at arms length To prevent conflict of interest. This is not just political but often defined in conflict of interest policies. A mother or wife relationship would be deemed a conflict. The other problem is that this did not even go through proper due diligence of procurement which is also a problem.

I don’t have a particular love or hate against any political party. They all do a pretty crappy job some where. I am just pointing out your lack of critical thinking.

Reactions: Tayls77

·
Registered
3,703 Posts
Actually, the relationship Harper has IS different than the mother and wife of the Prime Minister. meother a mother or wife are considered at ’arms length’ and can influence decision making. When evaluatiNg bids, one must be at arms length To prevent conflict of interest. This is not just political but often defined in conflict of interest policies. A mother or wife relationship would be deemed a conflict. The other problem is that this did not even go through proper due diligence of procurement which is also a problem.

I don’t have a particular love or hate against any political party. They all do a pretty crappy job some where. I am just pointing out your lack of critical thinking.
I'm not against quickly awarding something, but I think there are better organizations, like the Summer Jobs Program coordinators. If they really couldn't the YMCA is current shut down, and they have experience with hundreds of student staff and volunteers across the country.

You realize that Trudeau voted against an investigation into his own behaviour?
He either doesn't understand ethics, or he simply doesn't care.

I honestly don't know which is worse, if he's actually that stupid, or that arrogant.

·
Registered
12,743 Posts
My critical thinking is to judge the administration of the program by the charity, after they have completed the task.......not before they start.

The paying of speaker fees in the past is not relative to how well the charity would administer the program in the future.

Are you proposing an internal investigation of every MP to see what charity doesn't have some connection to someone in Parliament ?

Let's give it the Salvation Army.....whoops, can't do that. This Conservative MP has a sister who works for them.

Canadians aren't interested in the constant whining by Conservatives. They should go to plan B.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Trudeau and his wife are going to earn tons and tons of money after he leaves office.
What is the hurry to grab some now?
It is not as though he is unable to pay the rent.

·
Registered
864 Posts
It shows bad judgement that JT and his family did not foresee how bad this would look, even assuming that it is legal.

Cheapening their brand for a fistful of dollars. What were they thinking?

·
Registered
6,808 Posts
I never thought I would be wishing for Harper. And I voted for this specimen to get rid of Harper!

·
Registered
3,703 Posts
I never thought I would be wishing for Harper. And I voted for this specimen to get rid of Harper!
I thought Harper was great, I actually don't understand why people didn't want him in charge.

He was capable and pragmatic, but just not a warm fuzzy nice guy.

I always thought Trudeau was an arrogant idiot, but I thought the senior leadership would keep him in line, something they were apparently completely incapable of doing.

·
Registered
12,743 Posts
The opposition can force a confidence vote and there can be an election in the fall.

Perhaps that is the best solution. Let the people decide.

·
Registered
3,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
LOL, now Bill Morneau has been dragged into this.

I don't know whether to think this is a case of incredible stupidity or a case of simply not being able to SEE any issue might exist. I see the latter as possible because both Trudeau and Morneau are in cultural terms French Canadians and as such they think differently from English Canadians whether anyone wants to admit or acknowledge that ais reality.

Giving preferential treatment to friends and family is an integral part of Quebecers cultural norms. They can't actually see anything wrong with doing that. Why wouldn't you help friends and family if you can? Your cousin Pierre has a construction company and you have the ability to award a contract, who else would you give it to?

You expect there to be competing bids and the contract should go to the lowest bidder? Why? Does lowest mean best? What if they do a crap job like the Phoenix payroll system that is still an ongoing problem years later? That went to bids and look what we got. No, no, better to give a contract to cousin Pierre, who we know and trust. LOL

It's all in how you look at it don't you think. Nothing of this kind ever surprises me when it comes to French Canadians in government at any level. It's in their DNA for crying out loud. It is ridiculous to expect them to act any differently.

·
Registered
3,703 Posts
LOL, now Bill Morneau has been dragged into this.

I don't know whether to think this is a case of incredible stupidity or a case of simply not being able to SEE any issue might exist. I see the latter as possible because both Trudeau and Morneau are in cultural terms French Canadians and as such they think differently from English Canadians whether anyone wants to admit or acknowledge that ais reality.

Giving preferential treatment to friends and family is an integral part of Quebecers cultural norms. They can't actually see anything wrong with doing that. Why wouldn't you help friends and family if you can? Your cousin Pierre has a construction company and you have the ability to award a contract, who else would you give it to?

You expect there to be competing bids and the contract should go to the lowest bidder? Why? Does lowest mean best? What if they do a crap job like the Phoenix payroll system that is still an ongoing problem years later? That went to bids and look what we got. No, no, better to give a contract to cousin Pierre, who we know and trust. LOL

It's all in how you look at it don't you think. Nothing of this kind ever surprises me when it comes to French Canadians in government at any level. It's in their DNA for crying out loud. It is ridiculous to expect them to act any differently.
Well that's exactly why Quebec gets upset when they're labelled the most corrupt province.

It really does seem like they're more ethically incompetent, which honestly is very bad.
The thing that erodes trust, is they feel this behaviour is ok, and they're doing it, in public, to the tunes of millions and billions of dollars.

If they're doing this in front of the world, who knows what's going on behind closed doors. This is what destroys faith in government.

I don't really care if it is personal lack of ethics, or a cultural lack of ethics. We actually created laws, rules and policies for these behaviours, and they're not following them.
That's the whole point of a codified system of laws, it's so we can be clear what the appropriate and agreed public behaviours are.

That's really the anger here, we have an agreed set of principles and they're not abiding by them. Playing the same game, but they're not following the rules. Unfortuantely I don't think they really grasp what happens if everyone abandoned the rules.

1 - 20 of 120 Posts