Canadian Money Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Administrator
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear Community Members,

Over the past year, there have been updates to your community environment that have introduced challenges in usability and performance. We sincerely apologize if you have been negatively impacted. Efforts to improve the technology, user interface, and site performance has revealed weaknesses in the platform and outdated software on the site. Once we started looking at how to address these issues, it became clear that we needed to determine how to fix the underlying problems.

We needed to improve user experience, site speed, and overall performance, all while providing a secure environment for you to interact with your community. For the past few months, we have been actively seeking a resolution to these issues.

We are excited to announce that we are upgrading your site!! We have been working with a design and product development team that has enhanced Xenforo software to provide a modern and much better-performing platform. Our goal is to deliver an experience that better fits the current and growing long term needs of your community.

The new platform is designed for efficiency, stability, and to be user-friendly across all devices, including mobile. More time can be spent engaging, sharing, and contributing to your favorite community no matter where you are!

This is just the first stage of the new platform and we look forward to hearing your feedback as we make regular and timely improvements.

Thank you for all your support!

~ Community Support

·
Administrator
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Dear Community Members,

We have posted previous messages announcing a new platform coming to your community that will provide a better experience, faster page speed and work seamlessly across all devices, including mobile. We are excited to announce that Canadianmoneyforum.com will be migrated to our new platform. The site will be in maintenance mode and in read-only while the migration is happening. This is expected site behavior as we move all the archived content over to the new sites. There should be no change in the content within your profile. All thread content will also be migrated to the new site. Your community may look a little different but all of the important information will still be there!

We will keep you updated on an alternative rollout schedule for the site migration. We look forward to your feedback on the new experience.

We appreciate your support!

~Community Support

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
This forum is, I believe, operated by Verticalscope. They operate and own many many forums of different types. Maybe over 1000?

The conversion to Xenforo has been attempted on many of them. This has not been too successful. There has been a lot of push back from users. Reasons - Excessive advertising, broken links, lost images, etc, etc. Google 'verticalscope forums' to get a flavor of the problems. The reason for the change, has nothing to do with functionality. It is strictly about the money - sell more advertising.

Some forums are more complex than this one. They serve in some cases as a depository of valuable information. Many are automotive forums. Due to broken links, some of that valuable information that users contributed, was lost.

I suggest all forum members install powerful ad blockers on computers and phones. Unless of course if you like having 1/2 the visible page obliterated with ads! Those of us who have used other VS sites can advise.

This forum works fine as-is, except for the search function. That can be fixed a lot more easily than moving to a new forum platform that has proven to be troublesome. At one time, VS was hacked and LARGE numbers of usernames & passwords were stolen. I would urge VS not to change, but if they do, be aware that security might not be strong. Other alternative is to just move on to another site. We don't really need this one.

Sorry for the rant, but BTDT.

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
I think CMF is fine the way it is... well, with a few notable member exceptions....
...plus ..I hate change!....

·
Registered
4,527 Posts
I used a privately owned forum that migrated to Xenforo. From my experience it looks/works much sleeker especially with mobile devices. Old picture links were broken but Xenforo seems to handle pictures better

If ads bother me I just activate ad blocker but I try to leave them on. Forum has to be paid for somehow but nowadays there are so many other discussion platforms

This community has gotten so small the forum format is kind of silly. We should almost just move to a discord/reddit channel or something. I guess I hate change as well

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
This community has gotten so small the forum format is kind of silly. We should almost just move to a discord/reddit channel or something. I guess I hate change as well
Can't argue with that . Why would they bother wasting effort here.

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
We lost about 70% of the quality posters the minute this site was sold ,HOPEFULLY THE REST DON'T GO AWAY lol

·
Registered
986 Posts
Hi,

You can't edit posts now after posting. Will they be fixing this? Plmk Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
Dear Community Members,

The new platform is designed for efficiency, stability, and to be user-friendly across all devices, including mobile. More time can be spent engaging, sharing, and contributing to your favorite community no matter where you are!

This is just the first stage of the new platform and we look forward to hearing your feedback as we make regular and timely improvements.

today i ran into CAPTCHAs for the first time. But this forum is using a brand of CAPTCHA - dim, distant, dark, unfocused photographs - that went out a decade ago.

i don't mind having to use CAPTCHA. But i would appreciate something that works better. Thankx for any admins who notice this.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Having been through this on other VS sites, things will get worse before they ever get better.

Check privacy and terms on the Captcha. Others will know more. It seems like is a way for Google and VS to collect more of our personal info and interests.

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
Having been through this on other VS sites, things will get worse before they ever get better.

Check privacy and terms on the Captcha. Others will know more. It seems like is a way for Google and VS to collect more of our personal info and interests.

the majority owner of this forum & others in the VS family is Torstar corporation, publishers of the toronto Star.

the original VS entrepreneur sold enough of his original holding to Torstar to give torstar a slight majority. Apparently VS continues to administer.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Torstar have a majority investment in VS. But VS operates as an independent business.

Torstar has a 56% interest in VerticalScope, a leading North American vertically focused digital media company. The Company owns and operates more than 600 consumer enthusiast online forums and premium content sites in verticals such as auto, powersports and health,

·
Registered
3,257 Posts

I tried Chrome, and there I had to check box and then count traffic lights, bridges, bicycles etc. Now back to Firefox and seems like just checkbox. Of course I still need to find out for sure, but then won't be able to edit this post. Typical VS.

·
Registered
4,539 Posts

... and so? Sell me stuffs? Or expect less participation from me.

·
Super Moderator
1,934 Posts
At the moment, are people still seeing the 'not a robot' captchas? It seems that admins found a wrong setting and I believe they fixed it.

Anyone still having problems now?

·
Registered
4,539 Posts
Testing123 ... looks like the CAPTCHAs-them-robots requirement is gone now. How about the Edit function, are we getting that back. I noticed I need to revise my word to BAM! in post #18. Thanks!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts