Canadian Money Forum banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
You pay for the water in your taxes. Terrible system as it encourages waste. You're careful when you get billed directly.

ltr
I agree though.

And do tenants get billed their own water usage? I hope so, same as for electricity I guess.

·
Registered
17,695 Posts
Our landlord pays the water and sewer charges.

We pay rent, hydro, water heater rental, cable package, and tenant insurance.

The landlord pays for everything else, landscaping, snow removal, building maintenance, appliances, and the taxes.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
That's weird. You pay for your own electricity consumption, but not for your own water consumption.

·
Registered
17,695 Posts
They also pay the natural gas heating bill.

I think it has to do with the landlord tenant act and also to protect their property from frozen pipes etc.

·
Registered
12,487 Posts
That's weird. You pay for your own electricity consumption, but not for your own water consumption.
That is not unusual in high rise condos where individual unit water meters are not practical. A unit based remote read electrical meter from a utility is a lot easier.

However, for street based adddresses (houses, townhouses, etc.), a number of municipalities have yet to progress from 'flat water rates' because they are too f'ing cheap/lazy to put in remote read water meters. It defies logic but then some municipalities also still have conventional garbage pick up with guys hoisting garbage cans in the back of the truck rather than automated arms dumping carts and some utilities still have human meter readers for electricity and/or gas. The 21st century has not yet arrived.

·
Registered
9,630 Posts
The reality is in some areas most of the cost of the water system is in capitalization and maintainance of the system, volume of water really isn't that expensive.

The really fun part is when, in an effort to push conservation, they artifiically lower the connection charge and raise the usage charges, and people conserve.

Then they end up in a shortfall to operate the system.

Lets say your cost is currently $2/m^3, you increase that to $4, and it theoretically puts pressure for people to cut usage, but if they do, you don't have as much money to run the system.
For myself my usage charge is about 1/3 the connection charge

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
That is not unusual in high rise condos where individual unit water meters are not practical. A unit based remote read electrical meter from a utility is a lot easier.

However, for street based adddresses (houses, townhouses, etc.), a number of municipalities have yet to progress from 'flat water rates' because they are too f'ing cheap/lazy to put in remote read water meters. It defies logic but then some municipalities also still have conventional garbage pick up with guys hoisting garbage cans in the back of the truck rather than automated arms dumping carts and some utilities still have human meter readers for electricity and/or gas. The 21st century has not yet arrived.
Haha, my community just got the automated rolling garbage carts. Unlike when I was living in Peel, we were not given a choice of cart size. People hate them!

How will the trucks pick them up in the winter? How can I move Them? They are too big!

People don’t seem to realize that these carts are almost universal everywhere else.

in any event, the county has reneged. They are offering to exchange carts for smaller versions to the tune of $4 million and 9 new staff!

can’t wait for people who will ask for their larger carts back in the summer. Lol.

·
Registered
17,695 Posts
I used to see a lot of the big carts around, but not much anymore.

We put out garbage bags and the small blue recycling totes.

They have to throw in the totes, so might as well heave the garbage bags in as well.

Private company, pretty good wages I hear, but a young person's type of job, unless you are the driver.

We get people coming by the night before garbage day, with pickup trucks, vans, trailers and some with shopping carts.

They appear to specialize somewhat. Some take steel, some take pop cans, they take whatever they can re-sell for a buck.

A lot of the stuff is gone before the garbage guys arrive in the morning.

Put out anything of any value at any time......plastic kid's set, dressers, old BBQs, furniture, anything useable and it is gone in couple of hours.

No need to pay people to move stuff if you can manage to drag it to the curb.

I even got some stuff by the curb a few times. We had young neighbors who bought all new furniture and threw it out a few months later.

I have got dressers and cabinets and desks......and put them in the basement for a pantry and workbench.

My wife used to cringe when I dragged stuff home......but my mama always told me that beggars can't be choosers.

·
Registered
3 Posts
For those of you unimpressed with how high your water bills are, here’s an article that talks about ways you can lower it.

I think it’s also a good idea to pay your water bill with a credit card that offers rewards for recurring bills. The Scotiabank Momentum Visa Infinite gives 4% cash back on recurring bills (the article mentions this too), and the MBNA Rewards World Elite Mastercard gives 5 points for every dollar spent on home utility purchases.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
For those of you unimpressed with how high your water bills are, here’s an article that talks about ways you can lower it.

I think it’s also a good idea to pay your water bill with a credit card that offers rewards for recurring bills. The Scotiabank Momentum Visa Infinite gives 4% cash back on recurring bills (the article mentions this too), and the MBNA Rewards World Elite Mastercard gives 5 points for every dollar spent on home utility purchases.
Not much help when a large portion of my bill is fixed. I have neighbours who leave for 6 months down south and come back to a bill of $500+

·
Registered
9,630 Posts

I think it’s also a good idea to pay your water bill with a credit card that offers rewards for recurring bills.
Pretty much useless to me.
My water bill last month was $71, $52 in connection charge, $19 in usage.
Even if I cut my usage in half, I'd still be paying over $60/month.

If everyone switched to credit cards, they'd just ban their use, or hike fees to compensate.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Pretty much useless to me.
My water bill last month was $71, $52 in connection charge, $19 in usage.
Even if I cut my usage in half, I'd still be paying over $60/month.

If everyone switched to credit cards, they'd just ban their use, or hike fees to compensate.
Can I buy some water from you? I pay more than double that.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts