Canadian Money Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Interested to hear what people pay for residential water/sewage service. Especially in small towns.

My last bill was $512. For 105 days. 45.7 cubic metres consumed.

This is about 10 times higher than what I paid when I lived in a large Canadian city.

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
Hello,

Interested to hear what people pay for residential water/sewage service. Especially in small towns.

This is about 10 times higher than what I paid when I lived in a large Canadian city.
I live in a town of about 20,000 people in eastern Ontario. My last bill was $60 for 13 cubic metres. The rate is 1.57 for "block 1" water and sewer usage combined. Presumably the rates get higher the more you use. Plus service charges.

I would question how you were able to use 45 m3. My bill is for 2 people (although we do often shower at the gym) and also for a coffee shop with customer washrooms. I wonder if you have a running toilet or something leaking.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Almost 46m3 is way out of whack. But now I see that was for 3.5 months, so that'd be 13m3. $146/mo is a bit on the high side. I think our average is under $100.

I know that the average household here in Edmonton uses 16m3/month.
We average about 10m3/month and that's with 2 adults, 3 kids, a renter, and 1/4 acre of landscaped and irrigated grounds.
Our heaviest use month was 26.7m3 and that was in May several years ago when putting in new sod.
Nov-Apr are always the lowest use months, closer to 6m3/mo.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Ottawa, 4 persons ... $796.47 2016, $913.85 2017 ... I suggest do what I did when 1 month was a bit high ... turn all water off and go look at your water meter ... if that little red dial is moving start looking e.g. toilet tank level set too high, water slowly going down the overflow ... my bad, set it a bit high when I installed the new toilet. And another good reason to track utilities ... besides determining if you can afford to retire :encouragement: You can look up costs in Ottawa for comparison if you're so inclined, complex, various fixed costs, ... on top of the water/sewer fee.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Nov and Dec 2018 was $85.00 for 29 cu metres
July and Aug 2018 was 522.00 for 409 cu metres
Total for 2018 was $1,164.
Just over $1300.00 for each of 2016 and 2017
The billl includes a mthly fee of 36.00 pm which I believe was the cost of a large improvement to the Water Districts infrastructure a few years back.
We live in the Okanagan and have a .70 fully landscaped lot with gardens,etc. and use lots of water (unfortunately).
Does not include sewer as we are on septic.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Nov and Dec 2018 was $85.00 for 29 cu metres
July and Aug 2018 was 522.00 for 409 cu metres
Total for 2018 was $1,164.
Just over $1300.00 for each of 2016 and 2017
The billl includes a mthly fee of 36.00 pm which I believe was the cost of a large improvement to the Water Districts infrastructure a few years back.
We live in the Okanagan and have a .70 fully landscaped lot with gardens,etc. and use lots of water (unfortunately).
Does not include sewer as we are on septic.
Only my wife and I in the house.

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
We pay around $30-35 per month in a small southwestern Ontario town. That's water only, we are on septic for sewage. We are also 'outside' of town by exactly 1 house and so pay 'rural' rate rather than 'town' rate which is a little higher but not by much. I believe we would roughly double it with sewage and being 'in' town. So that would get us to maybe $250 for 100 days vs. your $500.

I agree you should still turn off all water and check your meter as a small leak will add up. But it doesn't sound like you are using an inordinate amount, just getting charged a very high rate per unit compared to some other places.

·
Registered
3,796 Posts
We do not really look at it. We look at our total municipal cost that includes property tax, water, sewer etc. As long as it is fairly constant and there are no sudden increases we are happy. Whatever the cost is we pay it. No choice. We won't be lowering our consuption nor will we be moving cities to save on this line item. It makes no difference to us whether the property taxes are higher and include water/sewer or they are on different bills. At the end of the day we will have to pay for it all.

·
Registered
3,197 Posts
Hello,

It'll be hard to compare between cities, because each will have significant differences between what their distribution costs are per customer (rural/urban for example) and sewage treatment costs. Because of the lower density population in a rural area, the cost of distribution per customer may be higher. Cost of primary water supply and treatment might also vary with proximity to source, and quality of water source. How they have gone about amortizing their infrastructure will also vary between cities. The amount per cubic meter you are being charged seems high. It works out to about $11.20/cu.m consumed. My average over this year was only $4.74 per cu.m. consumed. But I live in a city of over 750,000. You would have to get some figures from similar sized communities to properly compare.

PS. As Ian suggests, you have to compare overall municipal costs. I bet my property taxes are higher than yours. And we won't even go into how you equate the difference in housing costs between city and small town.

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
It might help if the OP named the town. Cities do not necessarily charge less than small towns either, there are many factors that go into how a municipality decides to bill residents. Even something as simple as the size of the line going through your water meter can affect the price. Why that is, I don't really know (or care) but if you look at this example of how a municipality charges, you will see that a larger line means a higher base cost, even though the charge per m3 remains the same.

https://www.chatham-kent.ca/WaterandWastewaterServices/Pages/WaterWastewaterRates.aspx

Note what they say at the beginning of the page re the reasons for an increase in the cost.

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Reviving an old thread. Our water rates are outrageously high. About $2500 year for about 160 cubic metres. Includes water and sewer.

our small township maintains and operates approx. 10 separate water/waste treatment facilities. Some of the smaller facilities only support 10-20 homes. it’s clear that the users of two largest facilities are subsidizing the operations of the smaller facilities. Council is researching the option of separating the numerous facilities and billing each separately at different rates……..but based on a report council received, residents on the smaller facilities would be paying in excess of $5,000 per year just for the water portion. By contrast, residents on the larger systems would be paying about $500 a year.

our community of about 300 homes wants to lobby the municipality to lower bills.

any suggestions on tactics? Any awareness of other municipalities that have successfully had their bills lowered?

·
Registered
904 Posts
Jan & Feb 25 cu M 89.50
Mar & Apr 54 96.26
May & Jun 136 156.36
Jul & Aug 264 307.32
Sep & Oct 185 203.40
Nov & Dec 40 90.10
TOTAL for year 704 942.

Jan & February 43 91.42
Mar & April 60 98.90
May & Jun 331 406.00
Jul & Aug 563 635.88
Sep & Oct. 104 176.52
Estimate for year 1,500.

Only 2 in house but we live in Kelowna and have a fully landscaped .70 acre lot with veggie and flower gardens and a hedge surrounding property. 2021 heat was crazy and lawn burned up despite very heavy water usage. On septic.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
We are in Peel with water and sewer fee on same bill billed quarterly. Last few years have been quite high with 4 living at home, and teenagers showering every day, and laundry every second day. Plus a hot tub with water cycled three times a year, and about 90' of a swamp ceder hedge my wife watered the heck out of after plating to get the root system to establish. I budget about $900-1k for a year of this bill.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
I have no idea what our water bill is as I have no control over the cost of water. I do have control over the amount of water we use, so that is what we track. In our house, we average about 145m3/year. That is for 3 adults and 3 kids, and 1/4ac landscaped lot.

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
Reviving an old thread. Our water rates are outrageously high. About $2500 year for about 160 cubic metres. Includes water and sewer.

our small township maintains and operates approx. 10 separate water/waste treatment facilities. Some of the smaller facilities only support 10-20 homes. it’s clear that the users of two largest facilities are subsidizing the operations of the smaller facilities. Council is researching the option of separating the numerous facilities and billing each separately at different rates……..but based on a report council received, residents on the smaller facilities would be paying in excess of $5,000 per year just for the water portion. By contrast, residents on the larger systems would be paying about $500 a year.

our community of about 300 homes wants to lobby the municipality to lower bills.

any suggestions on tactics? Any awareness of other municipalities that have successfully had their bills lowered?
Not sure why your township would have that many treatment facilities unless you're really spread out.

For comparison, here's a 2015 Frasier Institute study about water rates in Ontario. They range from $400-$1200.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.