Canadian Money Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For a long time I've used VOO as my main US equity fund. More than that after several years believing in spreading around the world and doing well in Europe and particularly in Asia I noticed that VOO did just as well and had a world spread because many of the large companies in its make-up got lots of money from other countries (like Europe and Asia) - so I consolidated on VOO.

Late last year I sold about half - lots of personal profit so lets put some in my own bank account. Then Covid made me feel smart (or lucky). Since then I've bought back some but also bought some VUG. Hmmm - VUG has over-performed VOO almost every time period up to 8 years - often way better.

Should I forget VOO and just buy VUG? or split between them?

Opinions? Fact? Advice?

·
Registered
751 Posts
VOO (S&P500) contains a larger number of stocks (about twice) and covers both large cap growth and value, so it is more diversified. I think it is a better pick, but it is possible that growth could outperform value during the next decade too (so retrospectively VUG would have been the better pick).

It really depends on your investment philosophy. Are you convinced large cap growth will outperform value going forward?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts