Canadian Money Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
5,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Speaking of brand names, I have two dead vacuum cleaners in my house - a small corded handheld and a larger cannister vac. My husband is an industrial designer by training and both of these vacuums have been "modded" and fixed over the years, but I think it is time to acknowledge that they are now artifacts (honestly, one of them looks like a steampunk vacuum after his last mod to reattach some missing part - he used really baroque screws).

Seriously, what kind of vacuum should I buy? Is it really worth it to splurge out on a Miele or a Dyson? I'd like to hear from anyone who considered these high-end brands and decided against 'em, and anyone who actually has a high-end vacuum cleaner. I should note that my husband will be hard to convince (although I will spend my own money, so, uh, whatever...but he does most of the vacuuming in the house...), and also that we have no carpets, just hardwood and a few area rugs.

Your input appreciated!

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
The ones you have can't be fixed?

Seriously, buying new is no guarantee of better quality. Stuff like this is always made these days with cheap plastic parts. I bet the repairs done by your hubby have significantly upgraded most of the components.

But if your two units are really dead and can't be fixed, I can recommend a dirt devil that I bought at cdn tire a few years back. Not cheap though. New units can cost $250-400. I bought the dirt devil in 2004 and have had no problems with it.

·
Registered
7,252 Posts
we have no carpets, just hardwood and a few area rugs.
Then you don't need a high end vacuum cleaner.
You essentially need something that can suck the dust from the hardwood floors and any vacuum cleaner worth a dime should be able to do that.
We have a Kenmore that's still going strong after years of use.
Think we paid between $150 - $200 for it many years ago.
Shop around at Wal*Mart, Sears and Zellers to compare prices and features.
I don't believe you need anything more expensive than $200.

·
Banned
1,241 Posts
I agree with Harold - we're the same as you, no carpets just an area rug, and we have a Kenmore upright we bought on sale about 8 years ago and it's never had a problem. Plus they are easy enough to get parts for if they do give you a problem. Kenmore of course is not a brand name, they don't make their own machines.... I couldn't tell you what the actual brand is but you can ask at Sears about a specific kenmore model and they have information on who actually manufactured it.

·
Premium Member
2,686 Posts
We have a vacuum from Sears as well. The best thing IMO is that I can get replacement parts for it. A couple of things broke or got worn out and it was a simple matter of just driving to the nearest Sears Parts Shop to purchase the replacement.

·
Registered
6,870 Posts
DW bought a Dirt Devil and it worked better than the other handhelds. When the battery wore out, it was just like the others.

We have a Miele that we inherited from DWs mom. It is better than our old Eureka but then we have wall-to-wall carpets. I would go with a Sears model.

·
Registered
373 Posts
We have a Tristar canister vacuum cleaner that we purchased about 15 years ago. It was crazy expensive at the time (~$1500 IIRC), but it was in a totally different league from the Kenmores and Hoovers that we were used to both in terms of materials (stainless steel, magnesium alloy and neoprene) and functionality.

I second guessed the decision to buy for a long time, but it has lived up to its billing. It still has the same power and efficiency it had when new and the only repair that we've had to make was to replace a drive belt on the power bar head.

Like Alexandra, we have mostly wood floors with area carpets. We vacuum the wood floors as it is the most effective method of cleaning because it will such up dirt that gets in the cracks between the boards -- our floors are original red pine in a 160 yr. old Victorian farm house. It's light enough that one person can vacuum stairs with the canister in one hand and the wand in another.

With the trend towards central vacuums, I suppose that higher end vacuums aren't that expensive with the added benefit of portability.

·
Banned
419 Posts
Then you don't need a high end vacuum cleaner.
You essentially need something that can suck the dust from the hardwood floors and any vacuum cleaner worth a dime should be able to do that.
We have a Kenmore that's still going strong after years of use.
Think we paid between $150 - $200 for it many years ago.
Shop around at Wal*Mart, Sears and Zellers to compare prices and features.
I don't believe you need anything more expensive than $200.
I am in the same boat. 200 bucks at walmart will get you something decent.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I love my Dyson. It is easily the best vacuum we have ever had. I wanted one for years before we finally got one. Since they do not go on sale, I had to find an independent retailer willing to haggle with me. In the end I paid no tax and got the $100 accessory kit I wanted for free.

It is great on the stairs because the hose easily reaches all the way up so I don't have to drag the vacuum with me. Also, there is no filter or belt to change so I don't have to put money into maintaining it every year like I did with my previous vacuums. The filter does have to be cleaned though, but that's not a big deal.

I vacuum a lot. We have about 2500 sq. ft., kids and furry animals. The stairs and upper floor are carpeted and the main floor is a combination of hardwood and ceramic. At least part of the house requires vacuuming daily. The dyson is also great on upholstery, under the furniture, mattresses and reaching up high to suck up cobwebs and such. It has a good warranty (5 or 7 years, I can't remember. The hose did crack last year and when I phoned the 1-800 number they sent me a new hose overnight via fed ex)

That being said, on the main floor where we have no carpet, we have a small, corded, dirt devil (the one that has a head shaped like a triangle) for getting in corners and under the kitchen cabinets. It works great on the hard floors and cost us less than $100 about 10 years ago. It is much smaller and lighter than the Dyson so if I just need to vacuum up crumbs or grass I just whip that one out.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I love my Dyson, so does my cleaning lady. There's no comparison.
If you have carpets, and/or allergies, and/or pets, and/or kids, it's worth every penny. It'll extend the life of your carpets and makes for a healthier house.

·
Banned
2,508 Posts
I bought a shop vac from Crappy Tire about 8 years ago for $40. This things sucks hard and has been through hell. Construction, dirt, water you name it. I used it to clean my house and to service the hot tub as it's wet/dry. Vac is pretty much dead now after using 10 KG of wall plaster and cleaning up the mess in the house. I did not have any carpet in the house though. I do have an older Fantom Furry.

Expensive Vacs= not worth it.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I have a Panasonic vacuum cleaner; bought from the Bay 4 years ago for ~$250 or so. Works okay.

I have a hand-me-down Kenmore vacuum cleaner (bought from Sears 7 years ago). Cleaned it out and now works quite well.

I use the Panasonic upstairs and the Kenmore downstairs; saves me from having to move things between floors. I have a mix of carpet & hardwood & tile, ~3777 sq ft.

K.

·
Registered
5,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for all the input! Husband modded the canister vac again last night, so ... I don't "need" a new vacuum. He also then vacuumed the whole house. :D

·
Registered
305 Posts
We have a Tristar canister vacuum cleaner that we purchased about 15 years ago. It was crazy expensive at the time (~$1500 IIRC), but it was in a totally different league from the Kenmores and Hoovers that we were used to both in terms of materials (stainless steel, magnesium alloy and neoprene) and functionality.
Tristar....

Story time. In about 1992, a door-to-door salesman dropped by our house way out in the country, and convinced my mom to drop $2000 on this magnesium trinket. Same mom who was currently raising 9 kids on about 10x that amount per year. 10% of annual income, for a vacuum cleaner. We kids called her crazy, and ever since I've had it in for the knave that had the nerve to offload this overpriced vacuum to a poor lady in the woods with her clutch of kids.

Today marks the first time in 18 years I've heard the name Tristar. What a surprise.

And what a further surprise - I have it on scomac's good word that the thing isn't a complete piece of junk after all! Honestly, it had never occurred to me that the vacuum might have been a quality unit after all.

This summer one of my brothers and I cleaned a lot of stuff out of Mom's house. I felt a deep sense of inner peace as I stood on the bed of a pick-up truck and shot-putted that now broken down Tristar as far as I could into the stinking garbage pit at the local dump. Good riddance.

And for the record, I have a Bissel upright with a removable canister for doing the stairs.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts