Canadian Money Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My TFSA is maxed out in the sense that I have put the full $10,000. into it over the last two years you could do that. My wife has a TFSA but has put no funds into nor does she plan too for the forseeable future. Can I just not use her TFSA (assuming she lets me) to put in another $10,000 in her account? (under her name of course). Is there a flaw in this thinking that I am missing? It seems cut and dried but should I be looking at something else that would affect this. I mean logically that way I would get two accounts going with tax free profit.

·
Registered
225 Posts
You can give your spouse or common-law partner money to contribute to a TFSA without that money being attributed back to you. However, all contributions they make to their TFSA must not exceed their TFSA contribution room.

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/ndvdls/tpcs/tfsa-celi/ctbtn/menu-eng.html

But of course, once you give her the money it's hers. You have no claim to it or the TFSA (unless your marriage breaks down and you have to split up assets as part of your settlement).

·
Registered
3,197 Posts
... that way I would get two accounts going with tax free profit.

Don't you mean "... we would get... "? And the fact that you haven't been pooling your assets before this suggests you are one of those modern couples who believe in keeping things separate.

·
Registered
514 Posts
you have let her not use one of the greatest investing tools available in our history go unused? clearly you both need to get your financial education going.

both my wife and I have been investing in our TFSAs since Oct 1, 2008. doubling our net (top tax brackets) the whole way!

we each earned 30 times what my mom did in hers for 2009. she is now listening and has ditched the idea of GIC's etc...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts