Canadian Money Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think it's a good idea to have a location field under the username to say where you are from. Different provinces/countries have different rules and regulations and laws and when we discuss financial topics, it may be a good idea to consider where a particular poster is hailing from.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I think it's a good idea to have a location field under the username to say where you are from. Different provinces/countries have different rules and regulations and laws and when we discuss financial topics, it may be a good idea to consider where a particular poster is hailing from.
+1

And I don't like the 10 character minumum for a post. I want to say "+1" and it won't let me.

·
Administrator
698 Posts
Ok, it took some coding,but I have reduced the required characters per post to 2 and added the location of the poster (if they filled it out in their profile).

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
gender of users

Rather than start a new thread, I'll just add to this one.

The thread "Members Survey" under Money Topics got me thinking it would be nice to know the gender of posters. With so many not using avatars and with ambiguous 'handles', there is no way of knowing if a poster is M or F.

Any chance that a "gender" box could be enabled on the profile page?

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
Posts that simply say +1 are not helpful to meaningful discussion and I am disappointed that the mods considered such a request. But I guess some people need to feel important.

If you agree with something, say so, but you should at least be willing and able to spend a moment telling why you agree. And even that is questionable. Otherwise we're just clogging up the threads with all sorts of nonsense quoting and +1 posting. It adds to the noise and lowers the quality of the forum.

Also, what's with all the requests to have us post information lately? I do not feel that the gender of a poster is particularly relevant. I know forums have numerous options for filling in info, it's right there in the user profile if the user chose to fill it in (almost never), I just don't see why we need to clog up each and every forum post with this additional info.

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
I would not mind a bigger avatar size, if that is possible?

I don't mind disclosing the gender [and I did that!], but all the other private stuff about income, hmmm, why? I'm with you there TRM.

·
Registered
3,932 Posts
The avatar size is small, agreed. I just dont even bother with it..

The Gender thing is a good idea. I didn't know some people were actually female until I read "My husband..." :p

Oh, and the whole "+1" thing is stupid.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
LOL Kae ... on another forum I discovered that a sentence which begins with "My husband ... " does not necessarily identify the gender of the poster. :)

... I do not feel that the gender of a poster is particularly relevant. I know forums have numerous options for filling in info, it's right there in the user profile if the user chose to fill it in (almost never) ...
I haven't seen that option in the user profile on this forum. And the field is usually optional to fill in so anyone could still remain gender neutral if it so desired.

·
Registered
3,932 Posts
Sorry for my ignorance guys (and gals) :p

Reminds me of a professor I once had who would always say these same three lines:

1. "Not that there's anything WRONG with that"

2. "If life was fair, I'd weigh 90lbs and be a ballerina"

3. "It'll all come out in the wash"

Somehow, you were gauranteed he would incorporate all 3 of those lines into every lesson... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
certainly would prefer not to have upvote or downvote feature or any other kind of political/competitive paraphernalia.

(signed)
anarchist millefeuille

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
I am just curious on why gender matters at all?

I do admit that having an idea of some peoples # (networth, age, income, etc) help me put it into context to where they are coming from. Also, I have to admit rightly or wrongly, I am more likely to take the advice of someone who seems to be where I want to be. I find it hard to take financial advice from people who are in debt, or have problems managing their money in real life. Not that they may not have good advice, but it's just less credible to me.

·
Registered
3,932 Posts
I am just curious on why gender matters at all?

Also, I have to admit rightly or wrongly, I am more likely to take the advice of someone who seems to be where I want to be. I find it hard to take financial advice from people who are in debt, or have problems managing their money in real life. Not that they may not have good advice, but it's just less credible to me.
I think the gender thing is not really a "need to know" basis, but more of a "nice to know" thing.

PA, in regards to your last few statements, I don't think that is just you. I would not feel comfortable listening to anyone with debt on how to manage money. If they could manage so well, they would'nt be in debt (unless of course there was some unavoidable, tragic reason).

You wouldn't ask your neighbour how to relieve your sickness if they werent a doctor or haven't had that sickness in the past, would you? Likewise, you wouldn't find it extremely helpful/credible to listen to someone tell you how to manage money if they have none.

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
Posts that simply say +1 are not helpful to meaningful discussion and I am disappointed that the mods considered such a request. But I guess some people need to feel important.

If you agree with something, say so, but you should at least be willing and able to spend a moment telling why you agree. And even that is questionable. Otherwise we're just clogging up the threads with all sorts of nonsense quoting and +1 posting. It adds to the noise and lowers the quality of the forum.
+1 is perfectly acceptable forum etiquete all over the interwebz. Why should CMF be different because of your OCD? If you're in a room of people and they all agree with someone's statement, that means something to me! It's less noise than everyone saying the same thing

Noise is when you complain about quoting and other nit picky things repeatedly off topic in every other thread.

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
gosh what next in cmf guantanamo bay forum before one is allowed to post.

present dog tags.

state name, age, occupation, income, gender & location.

furnish notarized affidavit from bank manager that one has no debt.

furnish notarized affidavit from accountant or latest income tax assessment to prove that one has net worth, preferably high net worth.

(i thought we were frugal discounters here, not trademark brand-name worshippers.)

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
I didn't mean that people needed to post all their personal information to post (I don't have much personal stuff here). I just meant that sometimes by having more information on a poster, it helps me understand their context and where they are coming from.

I am less likely to have the same weighting a 21 yr single, male with out kids, just starting in their career, when asking about the costs associated with kids, etc. No different on the parenting forum I am on, I don't have a lot of credibility to the never married, no kids, 50 year old man who posts on raising children. He's welcome to post all he wants, but I really have to scrutinize what his advice is saying, as it's all from a theorectical University of Google standpoint.

I think the information is all about getting some context, for me not necessarily who can or cannot post, because for someone else, the persons advice is exactly where they are looking for.

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
but plugging along, an interactive forum has to be fun & lively, wouldn't you agree ?

one of the fun things is figuring out who's who & what's what. Who to read, who to ignore.

so no, i wouldn't want to know the dog tags up front. I much prefer sleuthing out the story.

(signed)
hercule poirot pie

1 - 20 of 34 Posts