Canadian Money Forum banner
1261 - 1275 of 1275 Posts

·
Registered
21,876 Posts
Maybe he has already had covid and is also fully vaccinated ?

Trudeau's wife had covid and he didn't even get the sniffles......strong like bull.
It's a lottery. You don't necessarily catch COVID just because you are maskless.

And a mask isn't a solid force-field against infection either.

These are things with nudge the probabilities in your favour. We're in a pandemic, with an evolving virus and we still don't have a stable situation. Some people will gamble with their life, but those of us with common sense will take measures to protect ourselves.

·
Registered
7,424 Posts
Was in Toronto General yesterday...the top ENT in Canada wasn't wearing a mask at the clinic for the few hours I was on the floor.. I kept mine on but did lol. I guess Trudeau is right...wear a mask in front of the masses but party on maskless when rubbing up with the unvaccinated COP elite...
... that top ENT must have been snacking on the job hence maskless. Or he's waiting to get reported or you're lying 'cause entrance to TGH requires "visitors" even to be masked at all time, let alone patients and doctors.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Haven't really looked at this in detail, but there is a meta-study regarding the effectiveness of various public health measures including mask wearing.

·
Registered
4,936 Posts
... that top ENT must have been snacking on the job hence maskless. Or he's waiting to get reported or you're lying 'cause entrance to TGH requires "visitors" even to be masked at all time, let alone patients and doctors.
Of course I'm lying since my observation doesn't conform to your views of reality.

·
Registered
7,424 Posts
Of course I'm lying since my observation doesn't conform to your views of reality.
... that is a very good possibility.

But this doesn't distract the other reality that I'll report him/her to the hospital administration when I see that with my own eyes upon accompanying a friend to that department in the new year.

One would think any health practitioner in a licensed hospital would be following its own hospital protocols vigorously (aka taking safety "seriously"), let alone a "top" doc "in Canada" flaunting it. Is he/she expecting his/her patients to flaunt the rules too? I'm guessing it's okay with you as his/her only patient/visitor.

·
Registered
7,424 Posts
Haven't really looked at this in detail, but there is a meta-study regarding the effectiveness of various public health measures including mask wearing.

... I look at the bottom of the article (published November 18, 2021 (aka today)):

... Conclusions and policy implications
Current evidence from quantitative analyses indicates a benefit associated with handwashing, mask wearing, and physical distancing in reducing the incidence of covid-19. The narrative results of this review indicate an effectiveness of both individual or packages of public health measures on the transmission of SARS-CoV-2 and incidence of covid-19. Some of the public health measures seem to be more stringent than others and have a greater impact on economies and the health of populations. When implementing public health measures, it is important to consider specific health and sociocultural needs of the communities and to weigh the potential negative effects of the public health measures against the positive effects for general populations. Further research is needed to assess the effectiveness of public health measures after adequate vaccination coverage has been achieved. It is likely that further control of the covid-19 pandemic depends not only on high vaccination coverage and its effectiveness but also on ongoing adherence to effective and sustainable public health measures.

What is already known on this topic

• Public health measures have been identified as a preventive strategy for influenza pandemics
  • The effectiveness of such interventions in reducing the transmission of SARS-CoV-2 is unknown
What this study adds
  • The findings of this review suggest that personal and social measures, including handwashing, mask wearing, and physical distancing are effective at reducing the incidence of covid-19
  • More stringent measures, such as lockdowns and closures of borders, schools, and workplaces need to be carefully assessed by weighing the potential negative effects of these measures on general populations
  • Further research is needed to assess the effectiveness of public health measures after adequate vaccination coverage
... conclusion also says this research is on-going. I think anyone taking this seriously as a "pandemic" can say the same.

·
Registered
21,876 Posts
... conclusion also says this research is on-going. I think anyone taking this seriously as a "pandemic" can say the same.
Yeah all of this is ongoing research. For example the delta variant is behaving very differently compared to the earlier virus.

I think it's a really good idea to remain cautious and use the masks. I was using lower quality masks in summer (warmer weather, healthier people) but with this colder weather I've switched to better quality masks.

We've seen examples of some countries that relaxed their restrictions and then got a surge in cases. Denmark is a great example. They eliminated all restrictions 3 months ago, got rid of masks and stopped checking vaccination. Their case numbers have skyrocketed since then.

·
Registered
7,424 Posts
^ As I mentioned elsewhere, I think we'll be (very) lucky to see the end of this pandemic next year. I can see it dragging it for another year or 2 ... or maybe forever as a "normal (new)" way of life.

·
Registered
4,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,272 · (Edited)
^ As I mentioned elsewhere, I think we'll be (very) lucky to see the end of this pandemic next year. I can see it dragging it for another year or 2 ... or maybe forever as a "normal (new)" way of life.
Unfortunately likely true.

Sad that even some on this forum don't understand why masks help stop transmission. It is partly because of them that we will have to live with this pandemic for a long time still. Thanks guys :(

It has taken a long time for our health authorities to finally realize that the virus is likely largely transmitted via aerosols. They should have read this forum :) last year! Without a mask, you transmit those aerosols just by breathing or talking or sneezing. The finer droplets then remain suspended for others to breath in. They are also picked up by ventilation systems and distributed to other areas. Now better quality masks are more readily available, we should use them. I am not so sure that the physical distancing really helps very much to stop transmission, but it is an added precaution.

Right now, despite the high level of vaccinations, the pandemic in some areas is much worse than it was when it first broke out in early 2020. But people are tired of it and we have new variants. Becoming complacent will just make things worse. Already happening in Europe. Discouraging

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
I wear a mask where required, but I’m still not convinced they do very much. Yes, they are but one tool we have. But everyone is wearing masks almost everywhere. We won’t “mask” our way out of this. And I’m now reluctant to say, that we won’t vax our way out of it either.

my guess is that we are are waiting for better treatments that we can buy OTC or we’re waiting for it to ”disappear” on its own like SARS and H1N1.

1261 - 1275 of 1275 Posts